Mitt Romney is a sore loser, still a firm believer in his 47% comments
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:02:56 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt Romney is a sore loser, still a firm believer in his 47% comments
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Mitt Romney is a sore loser, still a firm believer in his 47% comments  (Read 11103 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2012, 08:38:53 PM »

This is completely unsurprising. Romney has always lived in his own little charmed world and responded in...not always as adolescent and churlish as all this, but usually pretty strange ways whenever that's been challenged.

I think there's some question as to whether he actually believes what he's saying, or just thinks that it's what rich donors want to hear.

That's always been the case, though. Either the charmed world is also a floating one (which honestly is my theory) or it's just as much a construct as everything else and we're back to Romney as the first post-structuralist presidential candidate.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2012, 08:43:11 PM »

He may well, but Romney is now a political irrelevance... who cares?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »

Mitt who?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2012, 08:59:56 PM »

God I hate this man...   
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2012, 09:02:53 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-election-campaign-donors-20121114,0,5622330.story

Mitt Romney told his top donors Wednesday that his loss to President Obama was a disappointing result that neither he or his top aides had expected, but said he believed his team ran a “superb” campaign with “no drama,” and attributed his rival’s victory to “the gifts” the administration had given to blacks, Hispanics and young voters during Obama’s  first term.

Obama, Romney argued, had been “very generous” to blacks, Hispanics and young voters. He cited as motivating factors to young voters the administration’s plan for partial forgiveness of college loan interest and the extension of health coverage for students on their parents’ insurance plans well into their 20s. Free contraception coverage under Obama’s healthcare plan, he added, gave an extra incentive to college-aged women to back the president.

Romney argued that the Obama’s health care plan’s promise of coverage “in perpetuity” was “highly motivational” to those voters making $25,000 to $35,000 who might not have been covered, as well as to African American and Hispanic voters. Pivoting to immigration, Romney said the Obama campaign’s efforts to paint him as “anti-immigrant” had been effective and that the administration’s promise to offer what he called “amnesty” to the children of illegal immigrants had helped turn out Hispanic voters in record numbers.

“The President’s campaign,” he said, “focused on giving targeted groups a big gift—so he made a big effort on small things. Those small things, by the way, add up to trillions of dollars.”

Seriously, Lief?

The only thing worse than a sore loser is a sore winner.

Let it go, man.  And get some professional help.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2012, 09:04:50 PM »

Mitt Romney is a terrible man.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2012, 09:23:50 PM »

http://www.latimes.com/news/politics/la-pn-romney-election-campaign-donors-20121114,0,5622330.story

Mitt Romney told his top donors Wednesday that his loss to President Obama was a disappointing result that neither he or his top aides had expected, but said he believed his team ran a “superb” campaign with “no drama,” and attributed his rival’s victory to “the gifts” the administration had given to blacks, Hispanics and young voters during Obama’s  first term.

Obama, Romney argued, had been “very generous” to blacks, Hispanics and young voters. He cited as motivating factors to young voters the administration’s plan for partial forgiveness of college loan interest and the extension of health coverage for students on their parents’ insurance plans well into their 20s. Free contraception coverage under Obama’s healthcare plan, he added, gave an extra incentive to college-aged women to back the president.

Romney argued that the Obama’s health care plan’s promise of coverage “in perpetuity” was “highly motivational” to those voters making $25,000 to $35,000 who might not have been covered, as well as to African American and Hispanic voters. Pivoting to immigration, Romney said the Obama campaign’s efforts to paint him as “anti-immigrant” had been effective and that the administration’s promise to offer what he called “amnesty” to the children of illegal immigrants had helped turn out Hispanic voters in record numbers.

“The President’s campaign,” he said, “focused on giving targeted groups a big gift—so he made a big effort on small things. Those small things, by the way, add up to trillions of dollars.”

Seriously, Lief?

I think Romney is the one that needs to let it go.
Redban

« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2012, 09:50:29 PM »

Read what he says.

Young people get to stay on health-care until 26 years old. Hispanics get comprehensive immigration reform, aka amnesty. College women get free birth-control. Both Blacks and Hispanics are attracted to Obama-Care because it brings them closer to free health-care.

I have no problem with what Romney says. In fact, I agree with him. Many will criticize Romney to sound politically correct, but he tells the truth here.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2012, 10:19:47 PM »

Well, politics basically boils down to different parties fighting over whose pockets taxpayer money goes into.  If Romney had won, tax money would have gone into the pockets of some, though not always, different groups of people.  I don't really mind Romney saying these things.  The fights are what they are. 
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2012, 10:36:59 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2012, 11:04:55 PM by Pictor Ignotus »

Of course, if he'd promised the military industrial complex $3 trillion in gifts instead of 2, he mighta had a shot.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2012, 10:43:27 PM »

Read what he says.

Young people get to stay on health-care until 26 years old. Hispanics get comprehensive immigration reform, aka amnesty. College women get free birth-control. Both Blacks and Hispanics are attracted to Obama-Care because it brings them closer to free health-care.

I have no problem with what Romney says. In fact, I agree with him. Many will criticize Romney to sound politically correct, but he tells the truth here.

Young people under 26 are allowed to stay on the policy their parents PAY for. If anything, it's a gift to the insurance companies.

College women get birth control as part of a poilcy they pay for directly or absorbed by tuition. It's not medicaid.

Your examples are regulating policies being paid for privately (including employer). They're not free.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2012, 10:59:55 PM »
« Edited: November 14, 2012, 11:09:36 PM by King »

To be fair, I guess, Romney's entire life has been a planned build up to become President Romney and he ended up with a campaign whose advisors told him right up until Election Night that he was for sure going to win.  He's probably unfathomably angry on the inside right now.

On the other hand, "gifts given to blacks" is far worse than the 47% comment and if it had come out before the election he would have lost by a big margin.
pbrower2a
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2012, 11:18:40 PM »

I cant remember another election when the Prez and VP candidates came out afterwards and insulted the majority of the country that voted against them.   Way to be uniters guys.

Usual explanation for bitterness toward a failure: they didn't have a clue. Neither had the guts to separate themselves from the anti-feminists, the anti-immigrant stances that become bigotry, and the anti-intellectuals who disparage the formal education that has made many what they are.

I thought that the chance of Al Gore winning Florida was shaky, and I could attribute his loss to a strategy that went awry.  I thought that John Kerry was going to win until I saw some fundamentalist televangelist tell people that their vote could be the difference between going to Heaven and going to Hell -- and recognized that America has millions who respond to that appeal.  Eternal damnation for something so trivial as voting against one's faith instead of against one's economic interests is a powerful appeal to many. 

Republicans need to realize that Barack Obama has achieved much as President, that he has most of the characteristics of a winner, and would have won a landslide much like that of Eisenhower in 1956 had it not been for mass racism. Just look at how white people voted in some states.

If a white conservative had put an end to the worst economic meltdown since 1929-1933, pushed the Lily Ledbetter Act, gotten us out of a bungled war, destroyed a bunch of terrorists including Osama bin Laden, presided over the overthrow of some nasty dictatorships in the Arab world without the rise of anti-American governments in their wake, shored up the diplomatic position of the United States, and had a major reform of the high-cost medical-payments system, would he have been re-elected?

I rest my case.    
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2012, 11:46:34 PM »

Read what he says.

ALL women have greater access to birth control and NOBODY is closer to free healthcare because we will all be paying into it.  To say Obama's policies are a deliberate political attempt to help only his strongest voting blocs is asinine.

ajb
United States

« Reply #39 on: November 14, 2012, 11:48:01 PM »

Read what he says.

Young people under 26 are allowed to stay on the policy their parents PAY for. If anything, it's a gift to the insurance companies.

College women get birth control as part of a poilcy they pay for directly or absorbed by tuition. It's not medicaid.

Your examples are regulating policies being paid for privately (including employer). They're not free.
Also, you know, aren't these basically pretty similar to the "gifts" Romney gave to the good black, Hispanic and young citizens of Massachusetts whilst he was governor there?
Even after defeat, Romney is still running against himself.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

What about asians, educated urban whites, residents of Vermont, and so on? They must have gotten some pretty sweet gifts too.

Enjoy your years in the political wilderness, GOP.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2012, 12:28:28 AM »

How do you know?

You're wearing 'fair and balanced' blinders.

I do not watch Fox News.

wan
United States

« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2012, 12:57:04 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2012, 01:13:23 AM by wan »

Yes Romney is a sore loser and should go away like all the other losers do. Hows that romnesia.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2012, 02:41:41 AM »

Seriously, Lief?

I guess Bobby Jindal needs some professional help too. Roll Eyes

http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/11/bobby-jindal-romney-dividing-american-voters.php

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal (R-LA) strongly condemned Mitt Romney Wednesday night for remarks the former Republican nominee made blaming President Obama’s re-election on “big gifts” for minorities and women.

“That is absolutely wrong,” Jindal told reporters in Las Vegas at the Republican Governors Association meeting. “Two points on that. One, we have got to stop dividing American voters. We need to go after 100 percent of the votes, not 53 percent — we need to go after every single vote. And second, we need to continue to show that our policies help every voter out there achieve the American dream, which is to be in the middle class, which is to be able to give their children the opportunity to get a great education, which is for their children to have even better-paying jobs than their parents.”
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2012, 02:45:50 AM »

Jindal's messaging is spot on there. Hopefully no one listens to him!
Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

P P
« Reply #45 on: November 15, 2012, 03:58:00 AM »

Some how having younger people stay on their parent's insurance and having a social safety net is more outrageous than running around with loony billionaires like Adelson and Trump. Certainly they weren't placing their eggs in his basket for no gain, right?!
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #46 on: November 15, 2012, 04:19:01 AM »

To be fair, I guess, Romney's entire life has been a planned build up to become President Romney...

He should have switched parties then, when he was young, and striven to be an FDR kind of rich instead of the worse kind.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #47 on: November 15, 2012, 05:39:27 AM »

Basically, yeah. He just needs to go away.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #48 on: November 15, 2012, 07:19:26 AM »
« Edited: November 15, 2012, 07:23:55 AM by Former President Polnut »

However, in addition to my 'irrelevance' thing, he's also completely wrong, blinkered and clearly missed the whole point of his loss. Not the least of which was he's factually incorrect on a lot of this.

He didn't connect with people, the issues he's referring to as 'small' are women's rights and immigration reform, to a LOT of people they are not 'small' issues. No wonder people thought he didn't care about them. He's pissed off the plan for a referendum on the economy had failed by June. While people aren't thrilled with Obama - Romney didn't make the case... Romney lost because he was without a clear core principle and because he committed the fundamental sins of politics ... he misread the electorate and underestimated his opponent. He can make as many lame excuses as he likes, nothing will change those facts.

Oh and this being played here as (paraphrasing) 'Loser Romney's bitter broadside at Obama'
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #49 on: November 15, 2012, 08:32:05 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies