Obummer's America: Greedy Union Pigs May Kill Off Twinkies, Breitbart reports
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:47:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Obummer's America: Greedy Union Pigs May Kill Off Twinkies, Breitbart reports
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Obummer's America: Greedy Union Pigs May Kill Off Twinkies, Breitbart reports  (Read 2601 times)
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: November 17, 2012, 09:09:23 PM »

Neither the bureaucratic company nor its detestable products will be missed.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2012, 09:24:04 PM »

Hi guys ... reality here .... yellow cake filled with cream isn't disappearing.  If there is a demand for it, someone will make it.

Most of us here are far more concerned about the 18,000 jobs lost than temporarily not being able to get Twinkies.

Hmm ... well, I assume that even if you remove the Hostess products Americans will still need to eat.  So odds are the competitors will pick up that business, necessitating that they expand their output to meet the increase in demand.  Odds are, baked goods won't be manufactured in China and shipped to the USA so this leads me to believe that a good # of these 18,000 will be hired by the competition.  So excuse me if I don't lament this one too much.

Not likely - as the article states, the baking industry is overcapacity. There's too many bakers and bakeries. The companies that purchase the brands will likely be able to fulfill most of the demand without hiring a single new worker or opening a single new bakery.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2012, 11:27:26 PM »

A rare moment where I find myself agreeing with Vosem!
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2012, 11:30:11 PM »

A rare moment where I find myself agreeing with Vosem!

They'll probably sell off the recipes.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: November 18, 2012, 12:20:22 AM »

Is that something anyone actually says outside of parodying the right-wing?  Or is it a freeper thing?

it's annoying.

http://www.conservapedia.com/Lieberal

I'm surprised the idiots knew what a portmanteau was....

Clever satirists are often quite good at wordplay. I just can't bring myself to believe that conservapedia is serious. It would be too depressing.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2012, 11:57:29 PM »

Hostess might survive after all: http://www.latimes.com/business/la-fi-hostess-options-20121120,0,4332341.story
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2012, 01:44:01 AM »

Not really.  The bankruptcy judge wasn't willing to sign off on the bonuses to the management to keep them around for the dissolving of assets just yet.  (Why the heck they should be kept around for that eludes me.)  And so he forced them to a last-ditch mediation that I expect to go nowhere.  Hostess Brands is worth more dead than alive.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2012, 06:36:43 AM »

The judge should turn over the factories to the worker.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »

Not really.  The bankruptcy judge wasn't willing to sign off on the bonuses to the management to keep them around for the dissolving of assets just yet.  (Why the heck they should be kept around for that eludes me.)

Someone has to manage selling the assets off, ensuring that bakeries and whatnot are closed down and waste disposed of properly, etc. I imagine it may be more efficient to have the people who actually know about Hostess's operations to do it than hire outsiders and have to train them. It also may be hard to find people willing to do the job in the first place - it's not a job with long term prospects, after all.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2012, 06:24:23 PM »

Not really.  The bankruptcy judge wasn't willing to sign off on the bonuses to the management to keep them around for the dissolving of assets just yet.  (Why the heck they should be kept around for that eludes me.)

Someone has to manage selling the assets off, ensuring that bakeries and whatnot are closed down and waste disposed of properly, etc. I imagine it may be more efficient to have the people who actually know about Hostess's operations to do it than hire outsiders and have to train them. It also may be hard to find people willing to do the job in the first place - it's not a job with long term prospects, after all.

There's little evidence that the current management has done much of anything properly.  There are people and firms who specialize in handling bankruptcy liquidations.  If they were still trying to do a reorganization, I could see the point in trying to keep around some of the old management, but since they are now in liquidation (delayed a couple days), I say go ahead and liquidate the current useless management as well.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2012, 12:10:47 PM »

Straight to the good post gallery.  And they should give the creditors nothing, and throw the owners and managers in jail for fraud and malfeasance.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #36 on: November 22, 2012, 09:50:16 PM »

Wtf?
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies