Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 08:41:28 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Lunar, Torie)
| | |-+  1848 U.S. Presidential Election
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Yo dawg, which one youse want?
Senator Lewis Cass (Democrat-Michigan)/Former Representative William O. Butler (Democrat-Kentucky)   -6 (20%)
Supreme Court Justice John McLean (National Republican-Ohio)/N.Y. State Comptroller Millard Fillmore (National Republican-New York)   -4 (13.3%)
Former State Senator Charles Francis Adams (Free Soil-Massachusetts)/Senator John P. Hale (Free Soil-New Hampshire)   -15 (50%)
Mr. Gerrit Smith (Liberty-New York)/Mr. Charles C. Foote (Liberty-Michigan)   -5 (16.7%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 30

Author Topic: 1848 U.S. Presidential Election  (Read 947 times)
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:22 pm »
Ignore

The Election of 1848 presents four choices to the American people. While three of these choices all oppose slavery in some form or another, Senator Lewis Cass of Michigan seems to have the South locked down. Meanwhile, National Republican McLean, Free-Soiler Adams, and Liberty nominee Gerrit Smith are scrambling for the votes of the North. Aside from the issue of slavery, much public debate is centered around Western expansion. While Van Buren supported expansion without slavery--thus ensuring that no expansion took place--Cass and Adams both support expansion (though for Adams it mainly mirrors Van Buren's stance) while Smith and McLean are more cautious on the issue. All four candidates have their surrogates speaking across the country and hoping for the privileges of patronage. Which will you choose?

Senator Lewis Cass (D-MI)/Congressman William O. Butler (D-KY)

Supreme Court Justice John McLean (NR-OH)/New York State Comptroller Millard Fillmore (NR-NY)

Former State Senator Charles F. Adams (FS-MA)/Senator John P. Hale (FS-NH)

Gerrit T. Smith (L-NY)/Charles C. Foote (L-MI)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:25:42 pm by Elections Inspector Cathcon »Logged

Speaker Dereich
Dereich
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2012, 07:07:22 pm »
Ignore

Voted Cass. We need America to expand west to fulfill our Manifest Destiny. Voting for an anti-slavery candidate could only tear the nation apart in ways its not ready to deal with yet and McLean just promises more status quo. Cass is the only real choice here.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:11:13 pm by Dereich »Logged
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2012, 07:10:25 pm »
Ignore

Vote Free Soil, America needs to be a morally upstanding country, slavery is unacceptable in the 19th century!
Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2012, 07:13:02 pm »
Ignore

Adams.

Kitteh
drj101
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2012, 08:05:20 pm »
Ignore

I was torn between Adams and McLean, but McLean's choice of Millard Fillmore (one of the worst presidents ever) as VP seals it for me. Adams.

This thread reminds me that I should be somewhere else having sex.

Why is the cat freak lady registered in the Pacific?
Senator Meiji (D-NC)
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2012, 08:51:10 pm »
Ignore

Not a big fan of expansionist warmongers. Voted McLean, though tough between him and Smith.

Oldiesfreak1854
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 1.91

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2012, 09:43:53 pm »
Ignore

Probably Adams, although I'm from Michigan and would be inclined to vote Cass for that reason.

There is nothing wrong with America that the faith, love of freedom, intelligence, and energy of her citizens cannot cure.
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsjFezL5KdY
JWHart

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -5.74

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2012, 11:51:35 pm »
Ignore

Reading on it, some resolution on Oregon would probably have happened in Van Buren's term, and it probably would've been similar to OTL's. So it's expansion into Mexico that's in question.

Texas is still an independent republic, or did the Mexicans get it back?
Malcolm X
jdb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2012, 12:02:27 am »
Ignore

Adams

Cool Grin Tongue Smiley Sad Huh Angry Wink Roll Eyes Undecided Cheesy
Shocked Lips sealed

shua
YaBB God
Russian Federation

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: -4.52

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2012, 01:59:19 am »
Ignore

Without Van Buren or Hale as the Free Soil nominee, I'll vote for the Barnburner Garrit Smith.

without TX, is there WI?

then again, with so much antislavery sentiment across the nation, maybe DE has become a free state and so the balance is tipped already.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 02:08:28 pm by shua, gm »Logged

" But freedom to differ is not limited to things that do not matter much. That would be a mere shadow of freedom. The test of its substance is the right to differ as to things that touch the heart of the existing order."
- Justice Robert Jackson WV SBE v Barnette
General White
Vegetaboi
United Arab Emirates

Political Matrix
E: 3.45, S: 3.75

P
View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2012, 02:19:32 am »
Ignore

Adams by far.

Cryptic
Shadowlord88
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -6.09

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2012, 08:03:17 am »
Ignore

Adams. 
Abdul the Reformer
Kalwejt
YaBB God
Turkey
View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2012, 08:58:37 am »
Ignore

Free Soil.

MrMittens
Mittens

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2012, 11:10:32 am »
Ignore

I think we may be seeing a totally inexplicable collapse of traditional politics. I think this may be the end for the National Republican Party.
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2012, 11:32:58 am »
Ignore

I think we may be seeing a totally inexplicable collapse of traditional politics. I think this may be the end for the National Republican Party.

Historians would cite the failure by the two then-major parties to properly address the crisis of slavery. Wink

MrMittens
Mittens

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2012, 11:40:40 am »
Ignore

Historians would cite the failure by the two then-major parties to properly address the crisis of slavery. Wink

I would still go as far as saying that this will be noted by historians as a collapse of biblical proportions. The Democrats may have only won votes in the south.
Senator Goldwater
Republitarian
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.94, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2012, 12:29:36 pm »
Ignore

I wonder if the election of Adams will lead to a civil war earlier then in OTL.

Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2012, 11:42:15 pm »
Ignore

Bumping for the final 24 hours.

Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2012, 06:39:25 pm »
Ignore

About a final hour and a half, not that the conclusion isn't predetermined. Map'll be up shortly after time runs out.

MrMittens
Mittens

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 19, 2012, 09:50:04 am »
Ignore

I may post some raw vote totals, depending on what you set as being the final vote. I think this must be the highest turnout in a while.
OAM
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.74

P P P
View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2012, 11:25:02 am »
Ignore

Yeah, I've noticed we typically get 20-25 or so, though once we got around 45 IIRC...
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2012, 07:01:25 pm »
Ignore

The 1848 United States Presidential Election
With both the previously relevant National Republican and Liberty parties pushed aside, the campaign became essentially a two-way race between Adams and Cass. While Adams' father and grandfather, both notable and accomplished statesmen of their time, had been denied the Presidency on multiple occasions throughout both their careers, Charles F. proved to be the one who could do it, garnering a near majority of the popular vote and a definitive electoral vote victory over Cass, who even lost crucial Southern states thanks to pluralities gained by the Free Soil ticket. This would be marked as one of the single most important and re-aligning elections of United States history.

Former State Senator Charles Francis Adams (Free Soil-Massachusetts)/Senator John P. Hale (Free Soil-New Hampshire) 204 electoral votes, 49.8% of the popular vote
Senator Lewis Cass (Democrat-Michigan)/Former Representative William O. Butler (Democrat-Kentucky) 71 electoral votes, 20.2% of the popular vote
Mr. Gerrit Smith (Liberty-New York)/Mr. Charles C. Foote (Liberty-Michigan) 0 electoral votes, 16.7% of the popular vote
Supreme Court Justice John McLean (National Republican-Ohio)/N.Y. State Comptroller Millard Fillmore (National Republican-New York) 0 electoral votes, 13.3% of the popular vote
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:37:31 am by Elections Inspector Cathcon »Logged

MrMittens
Mittens

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »
Ignore

Adams/Hale: Free Soil: 1,433,834
Cass/Bulter: Democratic: 581,595
Smith/Foote: Liberty: 480,824
McLean/Fillmore: National Republican: 382,931
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: