Vote counting update thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 06:00:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Vote counting update thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11
Author Topic: Vote counting update thread  (Read 44039 times)
Benj

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #200 on: December 13, 2012, 01:13:09 PM »

Wee question...as I'm not American I don't understand how they can call an election on election day when actually there were millions of votes uncounted, anyone cares to elaborate?

Statistics
That's hardly enough to call an election when you only counted 60% of the votes

If you have all the precincts (or even most of them) with some of the vote in, you can make a very good call. The rest of the votes coming in from that area isn't going to differ significantly from what came before.

Also, way more than 60% of the votes were counted by the end of election night. Around 85-90% of the votes were counted. Additionally, it was known that most of the outstanding votes were, at the time, in noncompetitive states like California, New York and Washington.
danny
Israel

« Reply #201 on: December 13, 2012, 02:23:58 PM »

Wee question...as I'm not American I don't understand how they can call an election on election day when actually there were millions of votes uncounted, anyone cares to elaborate?

Statistics

It is, possibly a lot less than that actually, depending on how close the election is and where the remaining votes are from.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #202 on: December 13, 2012, 02:47:36 PM »

Statistics

It is, possibly a lot less than that actually, depending on how close the election is and where the remaining votes are from.

If you have counted 60% of the votes on election day in let's say NY or CA and the counted results are 60-35 Obama, then you can argue that the rest doesn't differ too much from the counted results. Besides, you also have the exit polls.
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #203 on: December 14, 2012, 05:22:28 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 05:26:56 PM by SetonHallPirate »

I know Wasserman has Hawaii listed as not being final, but it is, in fact, certified: http://hawaii.gov/elections/results/2012/general/

West Virginia is just missing Marshall County. New York is missing quite a few counties.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #204 on: December 14, 2012, 05:35:11 PM »

So what are the national numbers and percents now?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #205 on: December 14, 2012, 07:22:29 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are they done counting yet, or do we have to wait until Christmas?  Tongue
Benj

« Reply #206 on: December 14, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 08:08:04 PM by Benj »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Are they done counting yet, or do we have to wait until Christmas?  Tongue

I don't know what's wrong with New York, but they haven't counted anything in the past week or so. That's where 99% of the remaining uncounted votes are. I think a few votes have trickled in elsewhere, but not enough to be interesting. Other than New York, Hawaii and West Virginia have yet to certify their results (but it's unclear whether they're done counting or not).

Current national numbers are 50.97-47.29. Obama will end up over 51% once New York is done; there are definitely enough votes.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #207 on: December 14, 2012, 08:15:26 PM »

Dave still hasn't updated California and the other States that certified recently. Sad
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #208 on: December 14, 2012, 08:16:46 PM »

Dave still hasn't updated California and the other States that certified recently. Sad

I'm guessing he's waiting for all state's to certify.

Looks like Obama won't reach a 4% margin.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #209 on: December 14, 2012, 08:43:24 PM »

I'm guessing he's waiting for all state's to certify.

AND THAT SUCKS! Angry
SetonHallPirate
Rookie

« Reply #210 on: December 15, 2012, 05:53:02 AM »

As I said earlier, the Hawaii numbers are certified. Not sure what Wasserman is waiting for, other than, perhaps, Christmas 2013.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2012, 03:20:11 PM »

Regarding the question of how states are called before all the results are in. Networks do not wait until they know with 100% accuracy. They have a statistical threshold, probably in the range of 99%. And voters are very predeictable, down to the precincts. It's actually pretty easy to predict.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #212 on: December 18, 2012, 03:41:33 AM »

Looks like NY and NE are done as well and nothing has been added in NY ...

http://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/elections/2012/General/PresidentVicePresident12Provisional12102012.pdf

I thought Dec. 17 was the certification day in NY ? Or will they update later ?
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #213 on: December 18, 2012, 04:41:43 AM »

Dave still hasn't updated the final results in MA, NE and KS. Angry
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #214 on: December 18, 2012, 10:07:23 AM »

Looks like NY and NE are done as well and nothing has been added in NY ...

http://www.elections.ny.gov/NYSBOE/elections/2012/General/PresidentVicePresident12Provisional12102012.pdf

I thought Dec. 17 was the certification day in NY ? Or will they update later ?

NYC and about a dozen other counties still haven't provided final results

http://www.elections.ny.gov/2012ElectionResults.html
timothyinMD

« Reply #215 on: December 18, 2012, 01:33:09 PM »

Dave has no write-in votes in the totals for Washington state, WV and Missouri.
Ohio, Utah and PA write in totals are incomplete.  Some counties don't have them listed yet.

Some California counties' vote totals declined slightly from what I had off the county clerks' websites, perhaps indicating that some write in ballots were dropped from the count before certification
AndyAJS
Rookie
United Kingdom
« Reply #216 on: December 18, 2012, 03:06:59 PM »

Ohio, Utah and PA write in totals are incomplete.  Some counties don't have them listed yet.

Some California counties' vote totals declined slightly from what I had off the county clerks' websites, perhaps indicating that some write in ballots were dropped from the count before certification

I've included write-in votes on my spreadsheet if you're interested in taking a look at that. The link is in my signature.

Dave Wasserman says Hawaii hasn't certified because there are still disputes about some of the minor races which is holding up the entire process.

I'd like to know: why hasn't New York finished counting? They should have done so before the electoral college met on December 17th. Don't they believe in due process any more?

There's a big problem with vote counting in the USA in my opinion. In most countries it's recognised that you have to count all the votes within a few days, even if it doesn't affect the result. But the attitude in a lot of American states seems to be: "We know who the winner is, so what's the point in finishing counting all the votes?" That's the type of attitude you'd expert in a third-world country rather than the world's number one superpower.

New York still has 413,000 votes to count according to Wasserman and yet the New York electors have already cast their ballots. That isn't a good example of democracy in action.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #217 on: December 18, 2012, 04:05:08 PM »

Don't they believe in due process any more?

Never have.

New York amended its certificate months later last time round too, on account of finding more postal ballots. I kid you not. So this sort of thing must be legally possible in NY.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #218 on: December 18, 2012, 07:02:05 PM »

I've included write-in votes on my spreadsheet if you're interested in taking a look at that. The link is in my signature.

Dave Wasserman says Hawaii hasn't certified because there are still disputes about some of the minor races which is holding up the entire process.

I'd like to know: why hasn't New York finished counting? They should have done so before the electoral college met on December 17th. Don't they believe in due process any more?

There's a big problem with vote counting in the USA in my opinion. In most countries it's recognised that you have to count all the votes within a few days, even if it doesn't affect the result. But the attitude in a lot of American states seems to be: "We know who the winner is, so what's the point in finishing counting all the votes?" That's the type of attitude you'd expert in a third-world country rather than the world's number one superpower.

New York still has 413,000 votes to count according to Wasserman and yet the New York electors have already cast their ballots. That isn't a good example of democracy in action.

Another argument for the electoral college. In our current system, 400K votes from New York don't matter because it's clear who won the state, and even if they all go to Romney it won't change the electoral map. But imagine a popular vote system, where 400K votes from any state could alter the outcome of a close election. Luckily, with the way things are now, outstanding ballots will only affect an election if they come from a very close state that acts as a tipping point in the electoral college totals, so the chances of a hung election are slimmer.
Benj

« Reply #219 on: December 18, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »

Another argument for the electoral college. In our current system, 400K votes from New York don't matter because it's clear who won the state, and even if they all go to Romney it won't change the electoral map. But imagine a popular vote system, where 400K votes from any state could alter the outcome of a close election. Luckily, with the way things are now, outstanding ballots will only affect an election if they come from a very close state that acts as a tipping point in the electoral college totals, so the chances of a hung election are slimmer.

Not really. The only reason vote counting is taking so long is that no one cares. If it actually mattered, they'd have finished counting ages ago.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #220 on: December 18, 2012, 08:01:21 PM »

Not really. The only reason vote counting is taking so long is that no one cares. If it actually mattered, they'd have finished counting ages ago.

You might be right, but it could be wishful thinking.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #221 on: December 18, 2012, 08:24:34 PM »

There are lots of systems you can come up with that might avoid problems with some other system. For example, a national popular vote system would have avoided the recounts and legal battles that took place in Florida in 2000.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2012, 10:59:26 AM »

Huh
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »

Right now:

51.0% Obama
47.3% Romney

But New York has about 400.000 to 500.000 ballots left to report.

Considering that Obama will win them by at least 65-33, because most of those votes come from NYC, the final margin will be more like 51.0 to 47.2 for Obama or:

65.940.000 votes for Obama (ca. 51.02%)
61.012.000 votes for Romney (ca. 47.21%)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2012, 03:29:12 PM »

Right now:

51.0% Obama
47.3% Romney

But New York has about 400.000 to 500.000 ballots left to report.

Considering that Obama will win them by at least 65-33, because most of those votes come from NYC, the final margin will be more like 51.0 to 47.2 for Obama or:

65.940.000 votes for Obama (ca. 51.02%)
61.012.000 votes for Romney (ca. 47.21%)

The final best-case-scenario I can come up with is:

51.05% Obama
47.19% Romney

And this is only if there are 600.000 ballots left in NY, with Obama winning them 70-28 ...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies