Wisconsin Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:42:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wisconsin Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79
Author Topic: Wisconsin Megathread  (Read 283696 times)
peterthlee
China

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #575 on: December 27, 2016, 08:11:37 AM »

Is there any chances for Russ Feingold to change track, if he is energetic enough to go through the trauma of two consecutive defeats of his senate seat?
Wiz in Wis

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #576 on: December 27, 2016, 12:02:46 PM »

Is there any chances for Russ Feingold to change track, if he is energetic enough to go through the trauma of two consecutive defeats of his senate seat?

Zero
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #577 on: December 27, 2016, 12:41:34 PM »

Zero

Possible future Secretary of State in the next Democratic administration would be a good place for him.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #578 on: December 27, 2016, 12:43:24 PM »

Senate: Duffy has right of first refusal and might avoid a primary. Hovde/Fitzgerald/Vukmir are considering, also businessman Kevin Nicholson. Kleefisch's name mentioned but she doesn't seem that interested.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #579 on: December 27, 2016, 12:53:52 PM »

Zero

Possible future Secretary of State in the next Democratic administration would be a good place for him.

If there is a next Democratic administration.
houseonaboat
Rookie
« Reply #580 on: December 27, 2016, 04:15:01 PM »

Senate: Duffy has right of first refusal and might avoid a primary. Hovde/Fitzgerald/Vukmir are considering, also businessman Kevin Nicholson. Kleefisch's name mentioned but she doesn't seem that interested.

Checked out Nicholson's bio... McKinsey is going to become (if it isn't already) what Goldman Sachs was in the 90s and 00s in terms of high-pedigree people funneling their way into politics
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #581 on: December 30, 2016, 12:12:42 AM »

Duffy would probably do better than Trump in the WOW counties but worse in the traditionally Democratic rural counties, unless Trump is really popular.
How? He represents WI-07, the most Trumpy district in the state, and was an early backer of Trump, who never backed down. I think Duffy is the perfect statewide candidate for Wisconsin: He does great in his home district, should do similar to Johnson in the similar WI-03 and -08, while doing well in WOW (pretty evangelical, won't like atheist lesbian progressives). He is also very well-known nationally. I see him on The Situation Room A LOT (his wife also frequently appears on TV). Funny but also very well spoken, and one of my favorite Congressmen. Republicans' ideal candidate.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #582 on: December 30, 2016, 07:29:59 PM »

Duffy reminds me more of Patrick Murphy than someone who would run a successful campaign. That's all I'm saying.
henster
YaBB God

« Reply #583 on: December 30, 2016, 10:20:54 PM »

A third consecutive term is very difficult especially if the economy isn't spectacular. Butch Otter is the only current Gov to have pulled it off and his state leans heavily towards his party.
JMT

« Reply #584 on: December 30, 2016, 11:42:15 PM »

A third consecutive term is very difficult especially if the economy isn't spectacular. Butch Otter is the only current Gov to have pulled it off and his state leans heavily towards his party.

But is Otter the only current 3 term governor simply because most governors can't (due to term limits) / or decide not to run for a third term? I feel like thats possible.

Other governors in recent memory have served awhile. Jerry Brown and Terry Branstad served many terms (even though the were non-consecutive). And Rick Perry ran in three elections, and served an additional 2 years at the end of Bush's term.
Drew
drewmike87
United States

« Reply #585 on: January 03, 2017, 08:41:49 PM »

Spring primary filing deadline today.  Justice Ziegler of WI Supreme Court unopposed.  Another blow to WI Dems.

Meanwhile, State Superintendent Evers has two conservative challengers.

Link:  http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/two-challenge-superintendent-tony-evers-supreme-court-justice-annette-ziegler/article_8cd385cd-a593-5aac-8e57-f00b97e54ef4.html

The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #586 on: January 03, 2017, 08:47:18 PM »

Wisconsin terms are 10 years, so this is pretty disappointing for Democrats.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #587 on: January 03, 2017, 10:16:41 PM »

Spring primary filing deadline today.  Justice Ziegler of WI Supreme Court unopposed.  Another blow to WI Dems.

Meanwhile, State Superintendent Evers has two conservative challengers.

Link:  http://host.madison.com/wsj/news/local/govt-and-politics/two-challenge-superintendent-tony-evers-supreme-court-justice-annette-ziegler/article_8cd385cd-a593-5aac-8e57-f00b97e54ef4.html

lol, what a disaster.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #588 on: January 03, 2017, 10:20:45 PM »

So are Dems in Wisconsin just complacent losers? I'm at a loss for words.

This sounds like something that would happen in Alabama.
Deblano
EdgarAllenYOLO
United States

« Reply #589 on: January 05, 2017, 07:53:12 PM »

I've heard that the Wisconsin Democratic Party is notorious for being weak and hell.

I mean, look at the candidates they ran against Scott Walker.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #590 on: January 05, 2017, 08:01:32 PM »

Hard to find candidates willing to throw themselves into the Priebus/Walker machine's way. The whole state Dem party looks and acts completely spineless. It's not going to take long before moderates/swing voters start getting used to voting R by default.
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #591 on: January 05, 2017, 10:54:54 PM »

Hard to find candidates willing to throw themselves into the Priebus/Walker machine's way. The whole state Dem party looks and acts completely spineless. It's not going to take long before moderates/swing voters start getting used to voting R by default.
Looks like Wisconsin Democrats are becoming more and more like Florida Democrats.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #592 on: January 07, 2017, 11:02:58 AM »

Before the 2018 elections new state boundaries have to be redrawn so there will be more Dems in office soon. Unless the state Republicans get their way, they're suing in court that they should be allowed a chance to redraw the boundaries again (aka to make them just as bad in different ways).

It really is annoying though, anything that happens is still the Dems fault in the state even with full Republican control since 2010 and people really do buy it. No mention of the supposed surplus from 2012 that's completely gone now.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #593 on: January 07, 2017, 03:50:51 PM »

The only Wisconsin Democrats that could beat Walker or Kleefisch or Duffy in 2018 is Tom Nelson or Ron Kind. Kind is a moderate Democrat that could appeal to Walker voters who are disappointed with his second term.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

« Reply #594 on: January 07, 2017, 04:39:52 PM »

Before the 2018 elections new state boundaries have to be redrawn so there will be more Dems in office soon. Unless the state Republicans get their way, they're suing in court that they should be allowed a chance to redraw the boundaries again (aka to make them just as bad in different ways).

It is actually standard practice to let the legislature have a chance to redraw it at least once. Personally I think it's a insanely stupid idea, regardless of the legal (or other) justifications. If the legislature is still controlled entirely by the same party/most of same people who rigged the maps in the first place, they are just going to try and do it again. It happens almost every time, and when it doesn't, it's usually because they bickered between themselves so much that the court had to step in.

That being said, I believe the plaintiffs have submitted a range of ideas for the court to consider in regards to redrawing requirements to avoid giving the GOP a chance to gerrymander again. Not sure if any will be accepted, but maybe. If WIGOP gerrymanders again, there can always be another lawsuit immediately after 2018 elections (or possibly before).

Finally, it's not guaranteed that SCOTUS will even uphold this ruling. It's not just another gerrymandering case. This was ruled as unconstitutional partisan gerrymandering, and a scotus ruling could have wide implications. Hopefully Kennedy will cross over and support a new standard for partisan gerrymandering and we can begin to break up GOP maps across the country before summer 2020.
Dr. Arch
Arch
Atlas Icon
Puerto Rico

« Reply #595 on: January 07, 2017, 06:58:32 PM »

The only Wisconsin Democrats that could beat Walker or Kleefisch or Duffy in 2018 is Tom Nelson or Ron Kind. Kind is a moderate Democrat that could appeal to Walker voters who are disappointed with his second term.

Jesus Christ...I just googled Ron Kind because I've never heard of him before and the guy is legit the most alpha male looking politician I've ever seen

He is so entrenched in his district that the GOP didn't even bother running a candidate against him. More so, his district is the district a D candidate needs alongside Dane and MKE to carry the state.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #596 on: January 09, 2017, 08:31:50 PM »

Looks like Wisconsin Democrats are becoming more and more like Florida Democrats.

The WI Dems have been between a rock and a hard place in the gubernatorial races because a majority of their base wanted to refight Act 10 (the union thing) but the swing voters were/are tired of it. Therefore they've had to either make everything about Act 10 (Barrett) or vapidly pretend it doesn't exist (Burke). If they do the former, they'd tick off swing voters and if they do the latter their base wouldn't be enthusiastic. Thus, the predicament.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #597 on: January 09, 2017, 09:52:40 PM »

The WI Dems have been between a rock and a hard place in the gubernatorial races because a majority of their base wanted to refight Act 10 (the union thing) but the swing voters were/are tired of it. Therefore they've had to either make everything about Act 10 (Barrett) or vapidly pretend it doesn't exist (Burke). If they do the former, they'd tick off swing voters and if they do the latter their base wouldn't be enthusiastic. Thus, the predicament.

Interesting. Explains a lot
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #598 on: January 12, 2017, 11:56:50 AM »

From what I could tell the base seemed to love Burke, especially that she was a school board member.
Wiz in Wis

« Reply #599 on: January 12, 2017, 04:56:44 PM »

From what I could tell the base seemed to love Burke, especially that she was a school board member.

No, they hated Walker. Burke excited about 4 people statewide. She was a terrible candidate. The options for 2018 are much better.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 [24] 25 26 27 28 29 ... 79  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies