Crist won the Cuban vote by 4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:21:32 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Crist won the Cuban vote by 4
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Crist won the Cuban vote by 4  (Read 1341 times)
henster
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 18, 2014, 11:42:39 AM »

And he openly embraced the embargo I think it bodes well for Hillary.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.06, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 10:14:35 PM »

Miami-Dade County is rapidly becoming a nightmare for the GOP. With 2012 turnout patterns Crist wins the state by at least 2-3%. The oldest Cubans are about 65% R or more while the youngest ones seem to vote D at the same rate as other Hispanics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/upshot/why-the-cuba-issue-no-longer-cuts-against-democrats-in-florida.html?rref=upshot&_r=0

The embargo shouldn't be a big issue and change things much. Dade County I can see becoming a 67-75% Democratic county in the future that will anchor Florida Democratic wins.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 10:17:41 PM »

Miami-Dade County is rapidly becoming a nightmare for the GOP. With 2012 turnout patterns Crist wins the state by at least 2-3%. The oldest Cubans are about 65% R or more while the youngest ones seem to vote D at the same rate as other Hispanics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/18/upshot/why-the-cuba-issue-no-longer-cuts-against-democrats-in-florida.html?rref=upshot&_r=0

The embargo shouldn't be a big issue and change things much. Dade County I can see becoming a 67-75% Democratic county in the future that will anchor Florida Democratic wins.

Somehow the party will screw it up.
I Will Not Be Wrong
outofbox6
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 10:55:18 PM »

Romney and Scott were pretty awfully received by the Hispanic community in Florida, thankfully it looks like Jeb Bush will be the nominee this time.
Mehmentum
Icefire9
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 11:23:49 PM »

Romney and Scott were pretty awfully received by the Hispanic community in Florida, thankfully it looks like Jeb Bush will be the nominee this time.
Its WAY to early to say that Bush will be the nominee. 
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 12:35:13 AM »

Its WAY to early to say that Bush will be the nominee. 

mte the base won't let that common core lover get anywhere near the nomination tbh
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 08:38:35 AM »

Florida's new Hispanics are Dems who never voted for Jeb. The older Cubans, who were a much larger proportion of the vote in 2002 have less sway today. The GOP thinking Jebs wife is a magic ticket to going from 27% to 40% with Hispanics is quite mistaken.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 11:20:40 PM »

Florida's new Hispanics are Dems who never voted for Jeb. The older Cubans, who were a much larger proportion of the vote in 2002 have less sway today. The GOP thinking Jebs wife is a magic ticket to going from 27% to 40% with Hispanics is quite mistaken.

Yes, and I think the line of thinking that Jeb's wife will have any effect is downright insulting.
CountryClassSF

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »

Yes, and I think the line of thinking that Jeb's wife will have any effect is downright insulting.

Leftists are all about identity politics (when it's useful for them). I'm not a fan of Jeb, but it would be entertaining to see Democrats struggle with how to play the race card on Bush who is basically more of a godfather of amnesty than John McCain, is in an interracial marriage, and routinely won Democrat crossover votes in Florida
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2014, 04:28:02 PM »

Older Cubans view themselves as white. Younger Cubans and other Caribbeans who make up Florida's Hispanic population feel as under attack as the Mexicans do by GOP rhetoric.
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2014, 06:48:20 PM »

Older Cubans view themselves as white. Younger Cubans and other Caribbeans who make up Florida's Hispanic population feel as under attack as the Mexicans do by GOP rhetoric.

^^

I don't understand why people are so surprised that one generation is different from the previous one.
CapoteMonster
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.49, S: -2.61

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2014, 06:53:19 PM »

^^

I don't understand why people are so surprised that one generation is different from the previous one.

My dad's side of the family are Cubans who are mostly right-wing and they hate nativism. Young Cubans aren't as conservative because they don't have the same anti-communist mindset as their elders. Pretty soon the cold-war establishment will become the minority.
Devils30
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2014, 08:21:12 PM »

And once you remove the communism factor, Cubans are a heavily urban minority population, characteristics that correlate heavily with Democratic voting.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies