The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 03:49:38 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 80
Author Topic: The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread  (Read 247546 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1500 on: August 29, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »

Good news. I like Portman, he seems to be the centrist sort of thinking person focused on development and providing quality government services rather than a paranoid right-winger.

I could see myself voting for Portman, though I disagree with your assessment that he's a centrist.

On economic issues, he definitely isn't.  I don't know that I'd even call him a centrist so much as someone who is great at sounding like a centrist.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1501 on: August 29, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »

Kasich was never going to run, as much as he wanted too.  If he did, he'd get demolished.  On the other hand, Portman may well run and if he is the nominee, I could definitely see him beating Hillary Clinton, O'Malley, etc.  He's not unbeatable or anything and isn't even unbeatable in Ohio, but a Portman candidacy would scare me infinitely more than Jeb, Christie, Rand, grumpy SoCon candidate #83, Rubio, etc.  He'd be an extremely electable candidate and comes across as a pretty reasonable guy despite being quite right-wing (particularly on economic issues).  Plus the gay marriage thing will give him tons of Moderate Hero cred.  Thankfully, I doubt he can make it through the primaries (although far from impossible given that the big business wing always beats the SoCon wing when the two have their quad-annual clash during the GOP Presidential primaries), but if he does, he's got at least 50-50 odds against any of the Democrats being talked about.

Someone who supports gay marriage will never be able to win a GOP primary in 2016, no matter how much establishment support they have. 2020 or 2024, perhaps.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1502 on: August 29, 2014, 05:54:56 PM »

Kasich was never going to run, as much as he wanted too.  If he did, he'd get demolished.  On the other hand, Portman may well run and if he is the nominee, I could definitely see him beating Hillary Clinton, O'Malley, etc.  He's not unbeatable or anything and isn't even unbeatable in Ohio, but a Portman candidacy would scare me infinitely more than Jeb, Christie, Rand, grumpy SoCon candidate #83, Rubio, etc.  He'd be an extremely electable candidate and comes across as a pretty reasonable guy despite being quite right-wing (particularly on economic issues).  Plus the gay marriage thing will give him tons of Moderate Hero cred.  Thankfully, I doubt he can make it through the primaries (although far from impossible given that the big business wing always beats the SoCon wing when the two have their quad-annual clash during the GOP Presidential primaries), but if he does, he's got at least 50-50 odds against any of the Democrats being talked about.

Someone who supports gay marriage will never be able to win a GOP primary in 2016, no matter how much establishment support they have. 2020 or 2024, perhaps.

Name me one time where the big business wing has not been able to get any of its candidates that cycle the Republican Presidential nomination because of SoCon opposition.  Santorum, Bachmann, Robertson, Buchanan, Huckabee, etc, etc all had their moments, but ultimately lost.  Even George W. Bush was closer to the big business wing than the SoCon wing when you really think about it.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1503 on: August 29, 2014, 06:00:39 PM »

Name me one time where the big business wing has not been able to get any of its candidates that cycle the Republican Presidential nomination because of SoCon opposition.  Santorum, Bachmann, Robertson, Buchanan, Huckabee, etc, etc all had their moments, but ultimately lost.  Even George W. Bush was closer to the big business wing than the SoCon wing when you really think about it.

Well, a lot of that would be because the "business candidate" didn't actually disagree with the SoCon wing on anything substantial. The only thing the SoCons didn't like was the lack of emphasis on their issues, not that they didn't support them. The fact that Portman directly goes against them on such a crucial and hot button issue, an issue that SoCons are currently panicked because they're losing, would cause their backlash against him to be immense and unprecedented. As of now, a pro-gay marriage Republican winning a primary is about as likely as a pro-choice one winning a primary, meaning: not a chance in hell. Now, for gay marriage, that could (and probably will) change in the future. But for right now, it isn't gonna happen.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1504 on: August 30, 2014, 12:58:44 AM »

O'Malley making his third trip to NH this year on Sept. 26:

http://www.necn.com/news/politics/Possible-2016-Presidential-Contender-Returning-to-NH-273193661.html
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1505 on: August 30, 2014, 11:47:31 AM »

Well, a lot of that would be because the "business candidate" didn't actually disagree with the SoCon wing on anything substantial. The only thing the SoCons didn't like was the lack of emphasis on their issues, not that they didn't support them. The fact that Portman directly goes against them on such a crucial and hot button issue, an issue that SoCons are currently panicked because they're losing, would cause their backlash against him to be immense and unprecedented. As of now, a pro-gay marriage Republican winning a primary is about as likely as a pro-choice one winning a primary, meaning: not a chance in hell. Now, for gay marriage, that could (and probably will) change in the future. But for right now, it isn't gonna happen.

We'll see...
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #1506 on: August 30, 2014, 01:52:18 PM »

Good news. I like Portman, he seems to be the centrist sort of thinking person focused on development and providing quality government services rather than a paranoid right-winger.

I could see myself voting for Portman, though I disagree with your assessment that he's a centrist.

On economic issues, he definitely isn't.  I don't know that I'd even call him a centrist so much as someone who is great at sounding like a centrist.

Centrist in relative terms, that is. Moderate in temperament and all that.
Obama-Biden Democrat
Zyzz
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1507 on: August 30, 2014, 05:23:39 PM »

Centrist in relative terms, that is. Moderate in temperament and all that.

Anybody to the left of Ted Cruz is now a moderate.
Bull Moose Base

« Reply #1508 on: August 30, 2014, 05:40:50 PM »

They preferred Giuliani and Romney to McCain. It's true Romney won next cycle despite his Mormonism but there were other factors and no reason to think Portman would do as well in 16. Also no reason to think Kasich will stay out if Portman wants to run.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1509 on: August 30, 2014, 07:59:48 PM »

They preferred Giuliani and Romney to McCain. It's true Romney won next cycle despite his Mormonism but there were other factors and no reason to think Portman would do as well in 16. Also no reason to think Kasich will stay out if Portman wants to run.

But McCain was still infinitely closer to them than the SoCons.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1510 on: August 31, 2014, 10:13:30 AM »

Paul and Pence impress AFP donors.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1511 on: August 31, 2014, 10:56:01 PM »

Clinton network in AR.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1512 on: September 01, 2014, 01:44:01 AM »

Portman says he won't try to run for Senate and president at the same time, and that's part of why he's expected to decide shortly after the midterms:

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/08/30/portman-likely-to-pick-16-race-early-to-help-gop.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.

But he also says:

Portman is currently in New Hampshire campaigning for Scott Brown:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/national-govt-politics/2016-preview-ohio-sen-portman-visits-new-hampshire/ng9D6/?__federated=1
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1513 on: September 02, 2014, 12:48:18 AM »

Christie is boning up on foreign policy, presumably as a precursor to a presidential bid:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/02/us/politics/chris-christies-trip-to-mexico-doubles-as-a-foreign-policy-test.html

Vega
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1514 on: September 02, 2014, 05:13:48 AM »

It seems like alot of Republicans are "campaigning for Scott Brown" nowadays.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1515 on: September 02, 2014, 08:30:22 PM »

O'Malley claims to donors he'll run with or without Hillary.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1516 on: September 02, 2014, 08:34:54 PM »

Excellent. I'd love to see him smashed.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1517 on: September 02, 2014, 08:42:16 PM »

Running for VP I assume? I doubt he'll get it, but it's probably his only chance considering he'd be old news by 2020 or later.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1518 on: September 02, 2014, 11:11:33 PM »

Glenn Beck is guaranteeing that Hillary will WIN it all in 2016:
http://www.cnn.com/2014/09/02/politics/glenn-beck-hillary-clinton/

She's about to go into labor, dude... (the human childbirth kind, not the union kind)
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1519 on: September 03, 2014, 12:03:37 AM »

She's about to go into labor, dude... (the human childbirth kind, not the union kind)

You know things are bad when even Glenn Beck sees the writing on the wall.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1520 on: September 03, 2014, 11:45:41 AM »

You know things are bad when even Glenn Beck sees the writing on the wall.

Except that isn't what is going on.  Fox News, Limbaugh, Beck, etc get more viewers/listeners when rank-and-file Republicans are simultaneously extremely angry (especially if the anger is generally directed toward a specific individual or issue) and feel like they no longer have a say in the direction of the country anymore.  You can be sure that Limbaugh, Ailes, Beck, O'Reilly, etc were overjoyed when Obama was re-electing and are desperately hoping Hillary Clinton wins in 2016.  It'd be the best outcome for them, especially if the campaign is exceptionally divisive. 
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1521 on: September 04, 2014, 07:45:44 PM »

Jeb's aides are telling donors to hold off until he makes a decision, and the host committee for his Senate event would be a hypothetical finance committee's backbone.

Long Haberman report on Hillary would-be staffing, headlined by Podesta as a potential campaign chair. Mook or Cecil would be the likeliest managers, as has been reported before.
Stranger in a strange land
strangeland
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1522 on: September 04, 2014, 08:30:32 PM »

Portman will be dead on arrival in a GOP primary for the simple reason that he supports gay marriage. The Republican base might be prepared to accept a nominee who supports gay marriage in 2020, but not in 2016.

Add to that, the reason that Portman came around to supporting marriage equality was that his son is gay. Most of the Republican base still views having a gay child as a a source of deep shame at best and a character flaw at worst. I do think they'll come around eventually, but not in the next 2 years.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1523 on: September 04, 2014, 11:55:45 PM »

Huntsman rules out 2016 bid http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/09/04/jon-huntsman-2016-president_n_5767896.html
retromike22
United States

« Reply #1524 on: September 05, 2014, 01:44:37 AM »

Oh darn Sad
Pages: 1 ... 56 57 58 59 60 [61] 62 63 64 65 66 ... 80  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies