The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:29:03 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The "Who is running?" tea leaves thread  (Read 248291 times)
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« on: April 06, 2013, 12:24:04 AM »

Here's something I've been thinking with Perry: At first glance you could assume that he'll make his decision and, assuming he decides to run, will probably wait until late 2014 to announce his bid, but what if the guy actually announces late this year way before anyone else? Some of his similar statements slightly hint towards that. Talk about a long invisible primary if that were the case.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2013, 10:12:37 PM »

Something interesting about Ted Cruz in this article:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 12:18:39 AM »

I apologize if this has been addressed, but I've heard rumblings that Paul could run for president in the other 49 states and just not put his name on the Kentucky presidential ballot and  have one of his staff or his wife appear as a placeholder for him. Would that allow him to run for both senate and president, and is that a realistic possibility?

That's one of the options he has, actually. Apparently there has also been discussion among Kentucky lawmakers to scrap the existing laws on running over there, so that may or may not transpire by the time that we get to the primaries.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 12:35:50 AM »

I apologize if this has been addressed, but I've heard rumblings that Paul could run for president in the other 49 states and just not put his name on the Kentucky presidential ballot and  have one of his staff or his wife appear as a placeholder for him. Would that allow him to run for both senate and president, and is that a realistic possibility?

That's one of the options he has, actually. Apparently there has also been discussion among Kentucky lawmakers to scrap the existing laws on running over there, so that may or may not transpire by the time that we get to the primaries.

But is he actually in solid enough shape in Kentucky to get away with that?  IIRC, his job approval numbers are solid, but not fantastic.  Does the Kentucky GOP love him enough to let him indulge himself like that, running for both at the same time, potentially putting the seat at risk because of his shenanigans?  Or would they pressure him to pick one or the other?  (Or even primary him with someone who's actually running for Senate full time, rather than running around the country running for president?)

That's what I can't say with absolute certainty. Although, I believe that the state GOP may be warming up to him now that he's nuanced more of his controversial views and has become a national star. It doesn't hurt that he's forged a strong alliance with leadership figures like Mitch McConnell in the Senate, who isn't popular statewide but who still has the backing of the establishment for his reelection campaign, so more lenience may be applied because of that.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 02:36:26 PM »

Santorum once again confirming interest in his virtually inevitable 2016 campaign.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2013, 06:04:47 PM »

Rand Paul says that presidential speculation about him is good for Kentucky:

http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/325961-rand-paul-presidential-speculation-good-for-kentucky

Jesse Ventura again floats the possibility of running for president as an Independent in 2016, with Howard Stern as his running mate:

http://dailycaller.com/2013/09/30/game-over-jesse-ventura-wants-howard-stern-as-running-mate-for-2016-presidential-run/

Howard Stern has shut down the VP bid, saying to cohost Robin Quivers "I just f[inks]ing can't say no" on his show a few weeks back. I am a devoted listener, so I will keep my eyes (or ears) open for any further mention.
Looks like the two of 'em still have interest in it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMfUVnMNBwE
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2014, 07:16:48 PM »

Joe Scarborough is set to visit New Hampshire next month.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2014, 02:38:44 PM »

Bush will decide on a run by the end of this year.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2014, 08:12:16 PM »

Sanders is traveling to New Hampshire.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2014, 02:15:25 PM »

Here's someone from out of left field: Bob Ehrlich, Maryland's former governor.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2014, 09:35:21 PM »

Heard over word of Facebook Dennis Michael Lynch announced his run for 2016.

His announcement speech.

Given his connections to Fox, I wonder if he'll be in any debates at least on that channel.
PPT Spiral
Spiral
Atlas Politician
YaBB God
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 02:28:18 AM »

Count Portman out, according to Politico.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies