FC Chess Tournament 2
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 10:54:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  FC Chess Tournament 2
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12
Author Topic: FC Chess Tournament 2  (Read 10127 times)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2012, 12:10:49 PM »

Sorry I posted this topic on the wrong board earlier, so I'm placing it here now.

I'm going to broach the subject of a possible second Atlas Forum Community chess tournament.  Yelnoc mentioned that he might have time to participate in and run a second one starting in mid-November, so I'm just bringing it up now.  I would personally sit this round out if that's preferred, but I could still perhaps help run it and/pr annotate games between the participants for whomever might find that helpful.  Just throwing the idea out there and seeing if there is any interest.  Franzl has already indicated his interest.  Any other takers?

Cheers.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 01:06:20 PM »

I want in.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 05:34:47 PM »

You really ought to play, Anvi, no reason to sit it out as far as I can see.

I suppose I could run another tournament.  I remember format changes were discussed, was the consensus for a round-robin of some sort?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 05:42:25 PM »

Repeating my interest here!
bore
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 05:55:47 PM »

I'm not very good, and there could be timezone issues, but I'm interested.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2012, 07:50:24 PM »

I want to play, and I want anvi to play, even if he wins again. Competition is the lifeblood of life.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 04:03:13 AM »

How do these chess tournaments work? Would we be playing correspondence chess or would it take place on a different website?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 06:45:17 AM »

signing in
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 12:02:04 PM »

How do these chess tournaments work? Would we be playing correspondence chess or would it take place on a different website?

We played our first tournament at a different website called Gameknot.  You just need to register an account there (it's free).  I think the site worked pretty well; decent graphics, good game log board with an analysis option and you can chat with your opponent.  Last time we used a time-control of 24 hours per move, and the website sends you an email notification when your opponent has moved.  Would be great to have you play, as well as anyone else who would like to join in. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 12:05:30 PM »

I want to play, and I want anvi to play, even if he wins again. Competition is the lifeblood of life.
The idea was to follow the example of the olden days World Championships - the tournament is for the right to battle Anvi for the crown.
Not that I'm insisting that it be done that way or anything.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 12:11:05 PM »

I'd love to take part again, and look forward to losing to someone who will go on to lose to anvi. Wink
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 02:39:34 PM »

Well, so far, we have nine people who have posted, eight are willing to participate in another tournament and one, SPC, who might be interested.  I think at the very least the tournament should have an even number of players to make the thing easy to run, not requiring round byes and such.  I am completely fine with either playing through this whole second tournament or sitting it out and playing the winner.  Either way, I'll help however I can, annotate games for people who want that, or whatever.  So, if no one else indicates interest (and more people are most welcome to join in still), if SPC wants to join in, how about I sit this one out?  If he doesn't want to play and no one else indicates interest, if no one has any objection, I'll play.  Whatever people want and whatever works best.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:18:24 PM »

Life threw me a curveball today, and I don't really have time for chess right now.  So someone else will need to organize this.

Sorry.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »

Sorry to hear that, yelnoc.  Hope everything is ok.  If I can figure out how to run this thing through Gameknot, would you still want to play if you don't have to organize?  If you don't want to play, there are seven confirmed interested, and possibly eight with SPC, so I'll wait on word from SPC too.   
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2012, 08:16:39 PM »

I'd be up for playing if there is room.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2012, 08:20:32 PM »

Sorry to hear that, yelnoc.  Hope everything is ok.  If I can figure out how to run this thing through Gameknot, would you still want to play if you don't have to organize?  If you don't want to play, there are seven confirmed interested, and possibly eight with SPC, so I'll wait on word from SPC too.   

I'm doing ok, but I don't really have time for chess.  If you have any questions about setting the tournament up on Gameknot though, please PM me.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

When would the tournament start (How much time do I have to register on Gameknot?)
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2012, 10:38:26 PM »

SPC, when you register on Gameknot, an account is created immediately that you can use right away.  Gustaf, of course we have room!

Ok, without yelnoc and with SPC, it looks like we have nine interested.  I think a tournament with an even number of players will go much smoother in terms of pairing and all that.  So, how about I sit this round out and play the winner?  I will figure out how to run this thing on Gameknot and post here again when I'm all set.

SUSAN CRUSHBONE
a Person
Junior Chimp
Antarctica

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »

I'm not very good, and there could be timezone issues, but I'm interested.
You have like two or three days per turn.

Sign me up, please.

Here anvi, you have an even number now!
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 08:03:22 AM »

i will take part hopefully it doesnt affect my work schedule.
GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 11:19:38 AM »

I would like to participate, if possible.
Northeast Rep Snowball
hiboby1998
United States

« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 01:15:11 PM »

Here
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 02:04:57 PM »

Maybe we could get 16 to play. That would make for a very neat 4 round Swiss System tournament.
anvi
anvikshiki
YaBB God
Netherlands

« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 03:05:11 PM »

Well, right now, without me, we have 12.  So, if we get no more players, I'm ok to sit this round out and just run it and annotate games for those who would like to study their play and improve it.

Ok, everyone, here is the list of players I have for the second Atlas Forum Community chess tournament.

-Snowball
-Gmantis
-BlondeArtisit
-A Person
-SPC
-Gustaf
-Oakvale
-Lewis Trondheim
-Napoleon
-Bore
-Franzl
-Homelycooking

So, if we just play with the present list of contestants, the first thing I need everyone to do, if you haven't done so already, is go to:
http://gameknot.com/
and sign up for an account.  Once you've created your account, I will add you all as "friends" on the site so I can monitor your games as well as post their links here so anyone interested can follow them.  Also, whether you have an account already or will create one now, please PM me your Gameknot username so I can do all this.

If there are no objections, since 12 players seems too big for a single round robin tournament (I don't think anyone wants to play 11 games), we will, like last time, just run a single-elimination tournament.  The twelve of you would be arranged in two large brackets of six players, and in each bracket, the winners of the first game will play one another, and then the winners of the second game will play one another to win their bracket.  Then, the championship game will be played between the winners of their respective brackets.  

Or, if you have another suggestion for a format, please make it.  
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 03:37:44 PM »

I stick by my suggestion of a Swiss System tournament, even with 12 players. We'd still need four rounds. Smiley

Oh yeah, account creation done (as minionofmidas).
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 12  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies