2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 27, 2024, 03:54:06 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82
Author Topic: 2008 Election Game: Campaign Thread  (Read 151964 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1900 on: July 07, 2013, 07:38:56 PM »

Statement from Mayor Bloomberg

I have the utmost confidence that when Congress convenes, they will elect both myself and Senator Bayh to the office of President and Vice President. The people spoke loud and clear in this election, and Evan and I received the most votes. With all members of the House up for re-election in two years, plus part of the Senate, I expect them to side with The People on this one.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1901 on: July 08, 2013, 06:31:33 AM »
« Edited: July 08, 2013, 06:34:18 AM by JulioMadrid »

Senate votes:

Evan Bayh 52 votes (43 R, 2 I -Lieberman and Lugar- and 8 D: Bill Nelson, Ben Nelson, Blanche Lincoln, Robert Byrd, Mark Pryor, Mary Landrieu, Jon Tester and Tim Johnson)
Patty Murray 46 votes (41 D, 1 I -Sanders- and 3 R)
Abstentions 2 (John Thune and Jim DeMint)

America will have its first independent Vice President for the first time in more than two centuries of democracy!!

Patty Murray came surprisingly close, but Bayh prevails.

House of Representatives votes:

Michael Bloomberg 241
Howard Dean 152
John McCain 35
Abstentions 7

As expected, Bloomberg becomes our 2nd independent President!!

The House elects him in a landslide, but experts were expecting Dean to get less than 120 votes. His votes come from very safe democratic districts... but will Greens be competitive against those representatives in 2010?

OOC: I'm picking the flight to Brazil in 4 hours, so I updated this quickly with not too much information. I am sorry :/ My purpose is to check this as soon as I arrive in Bel Horizonte. Bloomberg Cabinet will be interesting to watch. Congratulations, Mr. President.
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1902 on: July 08, 2013, 06:54:41 AM »

I'm extremely happy with the result, but isn't it 50 Votes, one from each state? The House Members in each state votes and whoever the majority votes for gets that state's electoral vote.

For Instance.

Georgia has 13 Congressional Districts. 7 Democrats and 6 Republicans. Whoever gets the most votes from that 13 gets 1 vote from Georgia. So of all the Dems voted for Dean and all the Republicans voted for Bloomberg, it'd mean that Dean got Georgia's 1 vote, not 7 votes.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1903 on: July 08, 2013, 07:40:48 AM »

If Bloomberg's the second Independent president, then who was the first?
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1904 on: July 08, 2013, 07:58:02 AM »

Washington, I believe.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #1905 on: July 08, 2013, 09:26:21 AM »

Washington, I believe.

Yes, he is.

I'm in a hurry now, sorry about the states problem. Quickly calculating, Bloomberg wins 33-13-4:

For Bloomberg: Alaska, Washington, Nevada, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Utah, Arizona, Colorado, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Iowa, Missouri, Louisiana, Michigan, Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, South Carolina, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, West Virginia, Delaware

For Dean: California, Oregon, Minnesota, Arkansas, Illinois, Maryland, New York, New Jersey, Vermont, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Massachusetts and New Hampshire.

Tied: Hawaii, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Maine.

Representatives elected in 2006 voted, remember that. The new Congress will be sworn in the 3rd of January.

Oh, and I think Dean knew this. I did, too. But I wasn't able to remember it...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Popular_Vote_Interstate_Compact

Maryland and Hawaii should have voted for Dean in the Electoral College Tongue
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1906 on: July 08, 2013, 11:51:39 AM »

Smiley

I look forward to working with NHI in constructing policy, as well as releasing my cabinet appointments.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #1907 on: July 08, 2013, 04:23:01 PM »

Mitch Daniels Statement on House Results:
I would like to congratulate President-Elect Bloomberg on his win in the house, and hope we can work together to make America strong. I will be announcing my appointment to U.S. Senate shortly.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1908 on: July 08, 2013, 04:35:27 PM »

can i be Congressman Walt Minnick?
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1909 on: July 08, 2013, 05:05:39 PM »

Governor Mitch Daniels Senate Appointment:

Now as you know, Senator Evan Bayh requested an independent or democrat to fill his seat. Citing,
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Well he maybe right on who they elected, but they also elected me, a Republican, to govern and represent Indiana. Now I do play fair, my appointment is a former republican congressman, and in this record breaking year I felt it fitting to introduce to you my appointment to the U.S Senate the first Libertarian Senator, who will caucus with Republicans, Fmr. Congressman John Hostettler!

Senate Appointee Fmr. Congressman John Hostettler (L/R-IN)Sad
Thank you Governor! I will work to the best of my abilities to represent my fellow Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate! Working for smaller federal government, and bring the power back to you at the local and state level! I will work with both parties and independents to bring about smart reforms for the people! I look forward to this new era and working with the first independent president since President Washington!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1910 on: July 08, 2013, 09:46:29 PM »

OOC: Oh good Lord...Hostettler used to be my Congressman. :/ Should have gone with Stutzman!!!
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #1911 on: July 08, 2013, 10:30:43 PM »

Statement from Vice President-Elect Bayh
"I am proud of Governor Daniel's choice to replace me and hope that he represents Indiana well for the next two years. I applaud his choice of a Libertarian, the first in the Senate. I would like to make it known though that I shall not resign my seat until January 19th."
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1912 on: July 08, 2013, 11:07:22 PM »

OOC: Oh good Lord...Hostettler used to be my Congressman. :/ Should have gone with Stutzman!!!
OOC: Haha Stutzman is my congressman, I felt this appointment would make it more interesting.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1913 on: July 09, 2013, 02:10:25 AM »

The Bloomberg Cabinet

The following individuals have been appointed to serve in the Bloomberg-Bayh Administration. More to come...

(OOC: Not trying to make a statement by showing party affiliation, just doing it for the benefit of the reader)

Attorney General- Mr. Richard Holwell of New York
Secretary of Veterans' Affairs- Mr. David Petraeus of New Hampshire
Secretary of Energy- Former Governor Tony Knowles of Alaska
Secretary of Agriculture- Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas
Secretary of Treasury- Former Governor William Weld of Massachusetts
Secretary of Labor- Congressman Luis Gutiérrez of Illinois
Secretary of Homeland Security- Senator Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico
Secretary of Health and Human Services- Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
JerryArkansas
jerryarkansas
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1914 on: July 09, 2013, 02:14:35 AM »

Lincoln Statement of Her Appointment as Secretary of Agriculture
I would like to thank Mike on giving me this great office.  I would also like to say that I will not be leaving the Senate until after my confirmation, and ask Governor Beebe to either appoint Himself or Bill Halter to my seat.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1915 on: July 09, 2013, 10:39:30 AM »

This is great!
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #1916 on: July 09, 2013, 11:16:53 AM »

Congressman Elect Walt Minnick (I-ID) Interview

Carolyn Holly:"Congressman Minnick what do you hope to accomplish in Congress?"
Walt Minnick:"Well I hope to Address the Deficit this country faces, and i also want to be able to work across party lines to get it done."

Carolyn Holly: "Speaking of across party Lines are there any other members of congress you would like to work with?"
Walt Minnick:"Well there are many but I would like to work with Congressman Jim Mathenson of Utah, and the New Libertarian Senator from Indiana John Hostettler."

Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #1917 on: July 10, 2013, 10:28:23 AM »

The Green Caucus to push for the HR 676 (The Medicare for All Bill)
Mrs.Barbara Lee, the Green Leader, joined by other members of the Green Party and Democratic Representatives, as well as, by Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont, to show their strong support to the Medicare for All Bill that would create single-payer healthcare for all americans. Mrs. Lee told reporters that, although Mr. Bloomberg is not a progressive, she hopes that the recently elected President accepts to promote this proposal that counts with support of more than 60% of Americans.

Although many would see Lee statement as false, in fact, many Americans, despite of Republicans' hate, really enjoy the idea of government-run healthcare, even if that would mean tax increases. According to a poll of February 1st released by NY Times and CBS News, 59% of Americans believe that government should provide healthcare while a poll from 2007 of Yahoo and the Associate press showed that 65% of Americans support the idea that "The United States should adopt a universal health insurance program in which everyone is covered under a program like Medicare that is run by the government and financed by taxpayers".

Barbara Lee decided to quote Paul Krugman, saying that all those that calls for fiscal discipline should get into the boat of Medicare for All; The Nobel-Prize economist in 2005 said:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

With more than two hundred Democratic Representatives and 5 Green Representatives, Mr. Kucinich, one of the first proponents of Healthcare for all, is highly optimistic of the chances of Medicare for All passing: " We are going after grassroots supporters, this bill will pass in the House, and then we hope that Bernie and Gravel can help us in the Senate, after that, when HR 676 gets into Bloomberg's hand, he will have to sign it. Vetoing Medicare for All is vetoing the unique solution for our healthcare crisis."

Although a "Medicare for all bill" is not in Bloomberg's agenda, perhaps a Public Option could be a possibility for many senators and representatives that are supporting the President. "The solution may not come as a Medicare for All bill, but we are quite confident that the Democrats will be able to  create a strong comprehensive reform for public health insurance." says Majority Leader in the Senate, Harry Reid.

tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #1918 on: July 13, 2013, 03:19:13 PM »

The Bloomberg Cabinet

Secretary of State - Senator Richard Lugar of Indiana
Attorney General- Mr. Richard Holwell of New York
Secretary of Defense - Mr. Colin Powell of New York
Secretary of Energy- Former Governor Tony Knowles of Alaska
Secretary of Agriculture- Senator Blanche Lincoln of Arkansas
Secretary of Treasury- Former Governor William Weld of Massachusetts
Secretary of Labor- Congressman Luis Gutiérrez of Illinois
Secretary of Homeland Security- Senator Jeff Bingaman of New Mexico
Secretary of Health and Human Services- Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
Secretary of Education - Mr. Arne Duncan of Illinois
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development – Former Senator Carol Moseley Braun of Illinois
Secretary of Commerce - Ms. Meg Whitman of California
Secretary of Interior - Senator Kent Conrad of North Dakota
Secretary of Transportation - TBD
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1919 on: July 15, 2013, 12:50:37 AM »

Mitch Daniels Statement:
I'd like to congratulate Senator Lugar on his appointment to be the next Secretary of State. This means I have another tough choice ahead of me, choosing yet another senator from the great state of Indiana. There are a lot of good people ready to serve Indiana, and I will announce my appointment in the next few days.
MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix

P
« Reply #1920 on: July 16, 2013, 02:04:31 PM »

Governor Daniels Announcing Senate Appointment:
I am here to announce my appointment to the U.S. Senate, once again I come before the people of Indiana to appoint a senator. There are many hard working individuals in Indiana, and one of the hardest workers for Indiana has been my Lieutenant Governor, Becky Skillman! She has been invaluable to Indiana in the Indiana Legislature, and now I am appointing her to the Senate. She will work hard for Indiana, and I can think of no one better. As for my next Lieutenant Governor, I am proud to announce that State Senator Marlin Stutzman will replace Skillman. He has some big shoes to fill, but I'm sure he's up to the task. But please give a warm welcome to the next Senator from Indiana, Becky Skillman! (Applause)

Senate Appointee, Lieutenant Governor Becky Skillman:
Thank you Indiana! I am proud to stand here to be your next senator! I know I have big shoes to fill from Senator Lugar, but I will fight for Indiana in the senate! You can count on me Indiana!
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1921 on: July 23, 2013, 06:07:28 PM »

though I'm not a player yet, I do would like to bump this Smiley
Enderman
Jack Enderman
United States

« Reply #1922 on: July 27, 2013, 11:43:53 AM »

though I'm not a player yet, I do would like to bump this Smiley
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1923 on: July 31, 2013, 03:23:07 PM »

The Bloomberg Cabinet

I believe Gen. Petraeus is from New York.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1924 on: July 31, 2013, 04:26:29 PM »

Florida Senate Race: Joe Scarborough? Maybe

Interviewer: Looking back at your record at the House, do you think about going back, whether its to the House, or even to the Senate?

Scarborough: Well, when I came in, it was the great time, you know, it was 1994, Republicans really came alive then. It was after the devastating loses in 1992, and looking at how President Clinton led, the conservative faction came alive. I believe that energy maybe coming back out in 2010, as Republicans are looking to learn from those mistakes. Certainly, my time in the House was a time I look back as a good experience.

Interviewer: Well, do you want to look into a run in the House or the Senate?

Scarborough: I have learned a lot, and I think my temperament is not fit for the House at this point. I'm a Conservative, but I'm an Eisenhower Conservative, I believe in investing in the future for our kids and our knowledge, so I don't think I fit in to the House of Representatives. The Senate may be, but I don't want to give you guys any ideas about my future okay? (laughter)

Interviewer: Okay, Mr. Scarborough. Great talking with you.

Scarborough: You too! I feel a little bit weird on the other side of these things again haha.
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 74 75 76 [77] 78 79 80 81 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies