States unanimous in counties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:29:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  States unanimous in counties
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: States unanimous in counties  (Read 1664 times)
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 17, 2012, 11:30:38 PM »

For Obama:
Hawaii
Massachusetts
Rhode Island
Vermont

Gone from 2008:
Connecticut
New Hampshire

For Romney:
Oklahoma

New from 2008:
Utah
West Virginia

West Virginia is the only big surprise, though I'm quite disappointed in Connecticut and Utah. I also love that the Republicans have yet to win a county in Massachusetts in 20 years, not even with a former Governor of it, and that the last Democrat to lose counties in Massachusetts WAS from Massachusetts.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2012, 09:39:03 AM »

I also love that the Republicans have yet to win a county in Massachusetts in 20 years, not even with a former Governor of it, and that the last Democrat to lose counties in Massachusetts WAS from Massachusetts.

Yeah, that's pretty amusing, isn't it? Tongue
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2012, 09:36:13 PM »

I also love that the Republicans have yet to win a county in Massachusetts in 20 years, not even with a former Governor of it, and that the last Democrat to lose counties in Massachusetts WAS from Massachusetts.

Yeah, that's pretty amusing, isn't it? Tongue

Ironic, though that has more to do with the fact that 1988 was the last solid (nationally) Republican election. With a uniform swing, only Plymouth would have gone GOP since then, and only in 2000, 2004, and 2012.

For Senate, Hirono (HI), Carper (DE), King (ME), and Barrasso (WY), have won every county with Sanders (VT) and Whitehouse (RI) likely.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2012, 11:36:45 PM »

Has West Virginia ever gone solidly Republican in every county before?  This was not too long ago a fairly Democrat state.  After all it was the only state Dukakis carried that Obama didn't and likewise Clinton carried it twice.  Mondale and McGovern may have not won the state but they did better than Obama did in 2012.  Mind you a lot probably has to do with the fact the Democrats traditionally were strongest in the coal areas and Obama is seen as the antithesis of coal production.  Interestingly enough in Ohio he had a strong second place in the coal counties and he only narrowly won those in 2008 so it seems the swing there was much weaker than West Virginia and Pennsylvania; in fact had it been as strong as West Virginia it might have hurt his chances at winning Ohio.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 10:01:17 AM »

Romney's performance in Massachusetts was comically bad.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 03:02:29 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Romney's losing margin in MA (in percent) was larger than Gore's in TN, McGovern's in SD, and Landon's in KS combined. Either the home state boost is dead or Massachusetts really doesn't like Romney or both.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2012, 04:22:35 PM »

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Romney's losing margin in MA (in percent) was larger than Gore's in TN, McGovern's in SD, and Landon's in KS combined. Either the home state boost is dead or Massachusetts really doesn't like Romney or both.

The second, clearly.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2012, 08:50:50 PM »

To be fair to Romney, Massachusetts was the only state in the Northeast he did better than Bush in 2004, so one could argue it just wasn't winneable for the GOP no matter who they choose.  I think his loss in Michigan and his running mate's state of Wisconsin are more significant and those are far more winneable never mind they weren't exactly close like they were in 2000 and 2004. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2012, 09:06:16 PM »

To be fair to Romney, Massachusetts was the only state in the Northeast he did better than Bush in 2004, so one could argue it just wasn't winneable for the GOP no matter who they choose.  I think his loss in Michigan and his running mate's state of Wisconsin are more significant and those are far more winneable never mind they weren't exactly close like they were in 2000 and 2004. 

But the fact MA trended toward Obama is pretty unforgivable.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2012, 09:11:11 PM »

To be fair to Romney, Massachusetts was the only state in the Northeast he did better than Bush in 2004, so one could argue it just wasn't winneable for the GOP no matter who they choose. 

It certainly wasn't winnable for any Republican, but Romney didn't have to lose in such a landslide to a candidate who wasn't quite as good a fit for Massachusetts as John Kerry.
hopper
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2012, 09:15:56 PM »

But the fact MA trended toward Obama is pretty unforgivable.
Still when the next edition of the Partisin Voter Index(2008-2012) cames out Massachusetts will move from D+12(2004-2008 cycle) to D+11(2008-2012 cycle) I believe.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies