The War of Northern Independence
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 02:03:57 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  The War of Northern Independence
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
Author Topic: The War of Northern Independence  (Read 10006 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2013, 04:13:48 PM »

If it is a case of the North fighting for independence, then I think that at least California and quite possibly Oregon would choose to remain with the USA, and if not, they'd likely form their own Pacific Confederation.
OAM

« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2013, 05:08:45 PM »

Agree with the above post.

Also I didn't think the 1860 election could get crazier.  I guess making it a five way would do the trick though!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2013, 01:02:19 AM »

If it is a case of the North fighting for independence, then I think that at least California and quite possibly Oregon would choose to remain with the USA, and if not, they'd likely form their own Pacific Confederation.

Agree with the above post.

Also I didn't think the 1860 election could get crazier.  I guess making it a five way would do the trick though!

I have an idea for the West Coast... You will see!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 07, 2013, 01:26:29 AM »

The Election of 1860

Americans from Cape Cod to San Francisco went to the polls on November 6th to elect the next president of the United States of America. They all realized their choice could affect the future of their nation. Yet in the end, the fears for many came true after all of the votes were counted and no candidate received the 152 electoral votes necessary to win the election.

Lincoln/Clay (Repubilcan) – 82
Seward/Fremont (Federalist) – 76
Breckenridge/Lane (Southern Democrat) – 67
Bell/Everett (Constitutional Union) – 56
Douglas/Johnson (Northern Democrat) – 22

The race had essentially devolved into Lincoln versus Seward in the North and Breckenridge versus Bell in the South with Douglas as a spoiler in many regions. Seward did the best in the Federalist stronghold of New England and he was able to use his personal electoral machine to carry his home state of New York. Lincoln did his best in the Old Northwest, carrying the entire region with the exception of Illinois. Douglas won that state along California and New Jersey. Pennsylvania was the closest between Seward, Lincoln and Douglas as they all took a third of the electorate with Lincoln pulling out a microscopic victory.

In the South the race was between Breckinridge and Bell. Bell preformed extremely well in the Upper South, as he was able to carry Kentucky, Maryland, Missouri, Tennessee and Virginia. Breckinridge was able to win the rest of the Deep South, Delaware and thanks to his Vice Presidential Candidate, Oregon.

For the first time since 1824 the race would be thrown to the House of Representatives. Following the rules put forth in the Constitution only the top three candidates in the Electoral College vote were allowed to be candidates. That means that the race would come down to Lincoln, Seward and Breckenridge.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2013, 05:50:36 PM »

Before I move on any farther, I'd like to get people's opinion on their thoughts of my timeline so far. Are there any details that I am missing or things that you'd like to know that I have haven't explained? Anything about my writing style or the format of the timeline that could warrant a change?

I should have the contingent election update sometime tonight or tomorrow, but I want to know people's thoughts before moving forward. 

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »

Me gusta mucho.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2013, 02:12:48 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2013, 12:20:19 AM by Gass3268 »

The Deal to Save the Union?

After the results of the 1860 election were finalized, Federalists and Republicans realized that the split in their party put them at a fundamental disadvantage against a pro-slavery Democrat now that the election was thrown to the House. Some sort of deal would need to be made between the two sides for the anti-slavery side to even to have a chance in the contingent election. Fearing that the Federalist threats may actually come through if Seward is not elected President, the Republicans agree to vote for Seward in exchange for all top cabinet offices to be filled by moderate Republicans including Abraham Lincoln and Cassius Clay will be the anti-slavery choice for Vice-President.

The deal was intended to be kept secret until after the election had been completed, but the Republicans and Federalists received word that most Northern Democrats were planning on voting for Lincoln. The Republicans and Federalists needed to win the states with Democratic majorities, like California and Indiana, order to top the numerical advantage of the Solid South. Republicans approached a few Democrats in these states informing them of this deal and trying to see what else they would need to support Seward. No one knows exactly who leaked the news, but the deal was made public and it enraged those who supported Lincoln in the election and were considered conservatives in the Republican Party. Many Republican members in Congress had to come out publicly against the deal and state they would vote for Lincoln in the election. Also many Southern states made declarations that they would secede from the Union if Seward was elected President.

The Contingent Election of 1861

The contingent election took place on February 13th, 1861 and was held in front of the full body of the House of Representatives of the 36th Congress. It would have been more beneficial for the Republicans and Federalists if the election would have been held by the new Congress, which was much more friendly to their side as both factions did well in the Congressional elections. Yet it was required that the old Congress do the election.

The votes were to be done in alphabetical order by state, with each getting one vote, which was to be decided by the majority of each states delegation. 17 votes were needed to win the Presidency. The election was to be run by the Speaker of the House William Pennington. The first round of voting went as fallowing:

Alabama – 7 Breckenridge
Arkansas – 2 Breckenridge
California – 1 Breckenridge 1 Lincoln
Connecticut – 2 Lincoln 2 Seward
Delaware – 1 Breckenridge
Florida – 1 Breckenridge
Georgia – 8 Breckenridge
Illinois – 1 Breckenridge 6 Lincoln 2 Seward
Indiana – 1 Breckenridge 7 Lincoln 3 Seward
Iowa – 1 Lincoln 1 Seward
Kentucky – 9 Breckenridge 1 Lincoln
Louisiana – 4 Breckenridge
Maine – 6 Seward
Maryland – 6 Breckenridge  
Massachusetts – 11 Seward
Michigan – 2 Lincoln 2 Lincoln
Minnesota – 1 Lincoln 1 Seward
Mississippi – 5 Breckenridge
Missouri – 5 Breckenridge 2 Lincoln
New Hampshire – 3 Seward
New Jersey – 3 Lincoln 2 Seward
New York – 1 Breckenridge 11 Lincoln 21 Seward
North Carolina – 8 Breckenridge
Ohio – 1 Breckenridge 11 Lincoln 9 Seward
Oregon – 1 Breckenridge
Pennsylvania – 1Breckenridge 11 Lincoln 13 Seward
Rhode Island – 2 Seward
South Carolina – 6 Breckenridge
Tennessee – 9 Breckenridge 1 Lincoln
Texas – 2 Breckenridge
Vermont – 3 Seward
Virginia – 13 Breckenridge
Wisconsin – 2 Lincoln 1 Seward

First Round Totals: Breckinridge (Green) 16, Seward (Orange) 7, Lincoln (Blue) 5, Tied (Grey) 5

The Federalists and Republicans were extremely scared after the first round of voting. Breckinridge had swept the Solid South and was only one state away from winning the Presidency. The leadership of the two Northern factions met and reversed their prior decision, this time imploring their members to vote for Lincoln in order to prevent the South from seceding and that Lincoln would give major concessions to the Federalists in his administration in order to appease the New England area into not seceding.

At the same time, Southern Democrats also began pressuring Representative John C. Burch of California to vote for Breckinridge. They claimed that they would give the Representative a job in the next administration. If the anti-slavery factions could unite behind Lincoln the election would become tied at 16 apiece, with the entire election coming down to California. The other Representative Charles L Scott was from Virginia and a ardent Breckenridge supporter. The fate of the election was effectively in his hands.
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2013, 11:02:59 AM »

You are doing a terrific job on this TL, I love it!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2013, 03:09:33 PM »

Thank you Alfred and Spamage!
OAM

« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2013, 07:22:01 PM »

Wow, intense!

As a general comment, I'd have to say this is one of the better researched and written TLs I've seen, so keep doing it as you've been doing it.  Not too long, not too short as well.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2013, 03:50:46 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2013, 12:21:28 AM by Gass3268 »

All Eyes on California

After a few hours were given for deliberation and discussion between the Representatives, Speaker Pennington commenced the second round of voting. Again this would be done in alphabetical order with each state having one vote to be decided by their delegation. The totals from the second round of voting were the following:

Alabama – 7 Breckenridge
California – 1 Breckenridge 1 Lincoln
Connecticut – 4 Lincoln
Florida – 1 Breckenridge
Georgia – 8 Breckenridge
Illinois – 1 Breckenridge 8 Lincoln
Indiana – 1 Breckenridge 10 Lincoln
Iowa – 2 Lincoln
Maine – 5 Lincoln 1 Seward
Massachusetts – 6 Lincoln 5 Seward
Michigan – 4 Lincoln
Minnesota – 2 Lincoln
New Hampshire – 2 Lincoln 1 Seward
New Jersey – 5 Lincoln
New York – 1 Breckenridge 18 Lincoln 14 Seward  
Ohio – 1 Breckenridge 18 Lincoln 2 Seward
Oregon – 1 Breckenridge 13 Lincoln 11 Seward
Rhode Island – 2 Lincoln
Texas – 2 Breckenridge
Vermont – 2 Lincoln 1 Seward
Wisconsin – 3 Lincoln

Second Round Totals: Breckinridge (Green) 16, Lincoln (Blue) 16, Tied (Grey) 1, Seward (Orange) 0

As expected, deal between the Republicans and Federalists resulted in Lincoln sweeping all of the Northern States. California was still tied between its two members and with the election tied at 16 states apiece; the Golden State would most likely decide the election.

The anti-slavery side tried convincing the other California Representative, Charles L. Scott. Representative Scott though was unmovable on who we was going to vote for.  Born in Richmond, Virginia, Representative Scott was pro-South and pro-slavery. Slavery would have been expressly allowed in the California Constitution if he had his way. On the other side, The Southern Democrats continued to pressure Representative John C. Burch.

Realizing they needed to look at another state for the 17th vote. Their first choice was William G. Whiteley of Delaware. Representative Whiteley had been defeated in the November election and this would be one of the last votes he would have to make in Congress. Yet Representative Whiteley declined their varies offers as he still had a desire to engage in Delaware politics in the future

They did get someone to bite out of the state of Oregon. Lansing Stout was supported by the pro-slavery wing of Democratic Party in Oregon led by the Vice Presidential nominee Joseph Lane. Yet he desired to break free of that faction of the Oregon Democratic Party and he saw this moment as this chance. Republicans offered him a job that he couldn’t refuse. Everything looked good, until word leaked out to the Southern Democrats about the plan.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2013, 02:36:20 AM »
« Edited: January 16, 2013, 12:22:36 AM by Gass3268 »

The 3rd Ballot…

Alabama – 7 Breckenridge
California – 2 Breckenridge
Connecticut – 4 Lincoln
Florida – 1 Breckenridge
Georgia – 8 Breckenridge
Illinois – 1 Breckenridge 8 Lincoln
Indiana – 1 Breckenridge 10 Lincoln
Iowa – 2 Lincoln
Maine – 5 Lincoln 1 Seward
Massachusetts – 6 Lincoln 5 Seward
Michigan – 4 Lincoln
Minnesota – 2 Lincoln
New Hampshire – 2 Lincoln 1 Seward
New Jersey – 5 Lincoln
New York – 1 Breckenridge 18 Lincoln 14 Seward  
Ohio – 1 Breckenridge 18 Lincoln 2 Seward
Oregon – 1 Breckenridge 13 Lincoln 11 Seward
Rhode Island – No vote
Texas – 2 Breckenridge
Vermont – No vote
Wisconsin – 1 Lincoln

Second Round Totals: Breckinridge (Green) 17, Lincoln (Blue) 14, No vote (Red) 2, Seward 0

The Republicans and Federalists were stunned when Representative Lansing Stout of Oregon did not change his vote. Once the Southern Democrats learned of the deal, they informed Stout that he would have no political future if he voted for Lincoln. Due to California going to the Southern Democrats earlier in the vote, Vice President John C. Breckenridge would become the 16th President of the United States of America.

After Representative Stout casted his vote for Breckenridge the Federalists, lead by their House leader Thaddeus Stevens, began to walk out chamber before the voting had ended in a similar nature to aftermath of the failure of the Blair-Douglas Amendment and the disruptive Republican National Convention. The Federalists from Rhode Island and Vermont did not care if they voted or not because they knew they it was over.

But this time the walk out was different. As they left the chamber, they walked out in silence, staring at the Southern Democrats on the other side of the isle. For most they did not see those on the other side as fellow countrymen anymore. Also shocking to many was that a majority of the Republican Party followed right behind them. For most it would be their last time leaving the chamber of the House of Representatives of the United States of America.
OAM

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2013, 01:07:03 AM »

Well sh*t, here we go!

More seriously, that was pretty good.  Most people wouldn't bother with details such as the who of the vote (meant to really spell this out in my last post).  I think most would just do the state maps.  Your approach added a lot more drama.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #38 on: January 16, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »

Well sh*t, here we go!

More seriously, that was pretty good.  Most people wouldn't bother with details such as the who of the vote (meant to really spell this out in my last post).  I think most would just do the state maps.  Your approach added a lot more drama.

Thank You! Smiley
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: January 16, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

I like the drama. This is an excellent timeline, btw, Gass. You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #40 on: January 16, 2013, 12:27:43 AM »
« Edited: February 02, 2013, 10:48:49 PM by Gass3268 »

The Vice Presidential Election

After the election of Vice President John C. Breckenridge as President of the United States of America there still was the necessity to elect the new Vice President. This would be done in the Senate, but unlike the vote for President, it would only take a simple majority of Seantors to elect the Vice President. After the walkout of a majority of Federalists and Republicans in the House, a majority of Senators of those same two parties failed to show up the next day for the vote. The race was between Republican Cassius Clay of Kentucky, Federalist Former Senator John C. Fremont of California and Democratic Senator Joseph Lane of Oregon. The vote for Vice President went as following:

Alabama: 2 Lane  
Arkansas: 2 Lane
California: 1 Clay 1 Lane
Connecticut: No vote
Delaware: 2 Lane
Florida: 2 Lane
Georgia: 2 Lane
Illinois: 1 Clay
Indiana: 1 Clay 1 Lane
Iowa: 1 Clay
Kentucky – 2 Lane
Louisiana – 2 Lane
Maine: No vote
Maryland: 2 Lane
Massachusetts: No vote
Michigan: No vote
Minnesota: 2 Clay
Mississippi: 2 Lane
Missouri: 2 Lane
New Hampshire: No Vote
New Jersey: 1 Clay
New York: No Vote
North Carolina: 2 Lane
Ohio: 1 Clay
Oregon: 1 Lane
Pennsylvania: 1 Lane
Rhode Island: No vote
South Carolina: 2 Lane
Tennessee: 2 Lane
Texas: 2 Lane
Vermont: No vote
Virginia: 2 Lane
Wisconsin: 1 Clay

Totals: Lane 34, Clay 9

Lane was overwhelmingly elected to become Vice President. Now the eyes of the nation focused on the upcoming inauguration. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: January 16, 2013, 12:28:19 AM »

I like the drama. This is an excellent timeline, btw, Gass. You've clearly put a lot of thought and effort into it.

Thanks Tex!
Captain Chaos
GZ67
United States

« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2013, 08:31:22 AM »

The Vice Presidential Election

After the election of Vice President John C. Breckenridge as President of the United States of America there still was the necessity to elect the new Vice President. This would be done in the Senate with each state getting one vote. After the walkout of a majority of Federalists and Republicans in the House, a majority of Senators of those same two parties failed to show up the next day for the vote. The race was between Republican Cassius Clay of Kentucky, Federalist Former Senator John C. Fremont of California and Democratic Senator Joseph Lane of Oregon. The vote for Vice President went as following:

Alabama: 2 Lane 
Arkansas: 2 Lane
California: 1 Clay 1 Lane
Connecticut: No vote
Delaware: 2 Lane
Florida: 2 Lane
Georgia: 2 Lane
Illinois: 1 Clay
Indiana: 1 Clay 1 Lane
Iowa: 1 Clay
Kentucky – 2 Lane
Louisiana – 2 Lane
Maine: No vote
Maryland: 2 Lane
Massachusetts: No vote
Michigan: No vote
Minnesota: 2 Clay
Mississippi: 2 Lane
Missouri: 2 Lane
New Hampshire: No Vote
New Jersey: 1 Clay
New York: No Vote
North Carolina: 2 Lane
Ohio: 1 Clay
Oregon: 1 Lane
Pennsylvania: 1 Lane
Rhode Island: No vote
South Carolina: 2 Lane
Tennessee: 2 Lane
Texas: 2 Lane
Vermont: No vote
Virginia: 2 Lane
Wisconsin: 1 Clay

Second Round Totals: Lane (Green) 17, Clay (Blue) 6, No vote (Grey) 8, Ties (Red) 2, Fremont (Orange) 0

So, the tally is Lane 34 votes, Clay 9 votes.

According to the Constitution, the Vice President would be elected by a simple majority of US Senators, not state delegations as in the House. Therefore, Lane is the Vice President-elect.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2013, 05:25:39 PM »

So, the tally is Lane 34 votes, Clay 9 votes.

According to the Constitution, the Vice President would be elected by a simple majority of US Senators, not state delegations as in the House. Therefore, Lane is the Vice President-elect.

Thanks for correcting me there. I'll make sure I change that!
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2013, 06:24:44 PM »

Sorry for the delay guys, My computer crashed the other day and I just got it back. Unfortunately I am waiting to get my Windows Office software sent from home so it will be a few days before I'll be able to do another update.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2013, 03:17:03 AM »

The Inauguration of 1861

John C. Breckenridge took the oath of office to become the sixteenth President of the United States of America on March 4, 1861. In his speech addressed to the nation, President Breckenridge emphasized the following points:

1.   The ability to own a slave is a fundamental American right endowed by the Creator, put into law in both the Bible and the Constitution. He thanks Chief Justice Roger Taney for finally extending this right to all Americans.
2.   Asserts that he has the legal power under the Constitution “to preserve, protect, and defend the United States Constitution” and he will make sure that all laws are upheld in all states.
3.   Yet he also states that he has no desire to use force against his fellow Americans, but he will do so if necessary in order to fulfill his obligations to “hold, occupy, and posses the property and places” that are owned by the Federal Government and collect duties and imposts.
4.   Makes it clear that if the North chooses to take up arms against the United States, the rebellion will be met with a firm, forceful and swift response. 
5.   He calls on the Republicans and even the Federalists to come back to Washington in order to move on and deal with other issues like tariffs, rail infrastructure and the other issues of the day.
6.   He ends his address by stating, “We are not enemies, but friends. We must not be enemies.”

Little did he know, that by April, ten states would have already seceded from the Union.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2013, 05:42:23 AM »

Massachusetts Secession Ordinance

MadmanMotley
Bmotley
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.29, S: -5.91

P
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2013, 02:46:10 PM »

OOhhhh snap, I'll be watching this TL with much interest.
Sec. of State Superique
Superique
Brazil

« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2013, 05:02:29 PM »

The south states will become a Banana Republic sooner or later. If the white men keep in power and keep slavery as well, then they would become Nazis, but if they are not in power before the Second World War, then we are going to have a populist state ruled by a black or a latino dictator.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2013, 05:26:31 PM »

The south states will become a Banana Republic sooner or later. If the white men keep in power and keep slavery as well, then they would become Nazis, but if they are not in power before the Second World War, then we are going to have a populist state ruled by a black or a latino dictator.
I highly doubt that. The population of southern blacks would migrate north as soon as slavery ends, and slavery itself would not last any longer than 10-20 years after the civil war. Basically, the South stays the way it was post reconstruction.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies