What happened to the hippies in the 60s? What did they become later in life?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:45:15 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  History (Moderator: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee)
  What happened to the hippies in the 60s? What did they become later in life?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What happened to the hippies in the 60s? What did they become later in life?  (Read 2484 times)
User157088589849
BlondeArtisit

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »

Is saying they just grew up being to narrow-minded?
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 02:43:28 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2012, 02:51:13 PM by blagohair.com »

It depends.  I have met quite a few hippies here in Hawaii.
I know these ladies who were protesting the war in Vietnam back in the '60s and now run a left-wing, feminist bookstore.  They actually try to help out homeless people, and a homeless Vietnam veteran once tried to kill them because they're communists.
I have heard that some hippies from back then changed, but those were usually people who were only in it for sex and drugs and never really believed in the hippie movement.

I know that a lot of them are involved in agriculture (I know a guy who always plays guitar who sells his fruits and vegetables to vegetarian and vegan grocery stores and restaurants).  A lot of older hippies are also very much involved in sustainability and other environmental movements.  A lot of hippies became college professors, others practice eastern medicine.  It's funny when I meet an old person, I can usually tell if they were hippies in the '60s because most of them still are.

I also happen to work with an old hippie.  If you met her though you would never believe she used to be a hippie.  She is still a very progressive person, but she doesn't look like a hippie at all.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 10:26:01 PM »

Is saying they just grew up being to narrow-minded?

I was kinda confused by this sentence until I looked at it again and saw:

Is saying "they just grew up" being too narrow-minded?

I'd probably say that for the majority, that's true. It's either that they got actual jobs and became part of "the system" they'd so despised, or they became like Leo from "That Seventies Show", and, to put it briefly, utter losers.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2012, 02:51:16 AM »

It doesn't count too much since it's just my anecdotal evidence, but the most conservative people I know embraced the spirit of the 60s. They weren't hippies, but they definitely sympathized with that viewpoint at the time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies