Mark Warner Not Running
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:11:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Mark Warner Not Running
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Mark Warner Not Running  (Read 6054 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2012, 03:34:28 PM »

Got a POLITICO REPORT. HE'S NOT RUNNING IN 2013 sadly. That means we're gonna have a Horserace.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 03:42:46 PM »

Good. I'd rather keep his Senate seat.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 03:44:45 PM »

Once McAuliffe announced the cat was out of the bag. Horserace gubernatorial, Safe D Senate.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 03:51:19 PM »

who knows McAuliffe might even win this race
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 03:54:10 PM »

morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 04:05:53 PM »

Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 04:17:05 PM »

We have a Virginia megathread!  Use it!
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 04:20:44 PM »

Safe R in the Gubernatorial race
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 04:33:20 PM »

I'm surprised he didn't pull the trigger with Democrats so comfortably in the senate majority and him not liking the job that much.  Maybe he thinks he can be a key player in brokering a debt deal next year?
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 11:37:54 PM »

I'm surprised he didn't pull the trigger with Democrats so comfortably in the senate majority and him not liking the job that much.  Maybe he thinks he can be a key player in brokering a debt deal next year?

I think it's more that he's gearing up to run for President in 2016, and he doesn't need to be in a tougher job when he already has executive experience under his belt.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 06:29:20 AM »

Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »

If McDouche is the nominee, yes.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 10:57:19 AM »

Definitely false.  If McAuliffe can utilize Obama's turnout machine, and get plenty of help from Bill, he has a chance.  It leans R because of history, but there's no way it's safe for either party.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 11:33:57 AM »

Ok but here is a big factor in "utilizing the Obama turnout machine": you need a candidate that that crowd will turn out for. McAuliffe? No.

I'm asking this seriously: can someone tell me a single qualification Terry possesses to be Governor? I don't know of anything this guy has done except be a professional political hack.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:55 AM »

It's very far from guaranteed McAuliffe will be the nominee especially considering how pathetic he did last time.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 12:35:13 PM »

It's very far from guaranteed McAuliffe will be the nominee especially considering how pathetic he did last time.

They really need Perriello or Webb to get in if they want at least even odds in the general.  Perriello would drive the Obama turnout and Webb is one of the few people left who can appeal to both NOVA and Appalachia.
Benj

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »

I do agree with this. If he's the nominee, he'll be roundly trounced, and deservedly (though unfortunately) so, unless the Republican nominee is Cuccinelli or some equally kooky nominee unable to hide his kookiness (and even then I think McAuliffe would probably lose to Cuccinelli, unfortunately). However, McAuliffe is such a phenomenally uninspiring and bad campaigner that he's sure to draw some primary rivals who would be more electable. I wouldn't be surprised if Tom Perriello were the Democratic nominee, for example.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 02:54:31 PM »

I wouldn't be at all surprised to see McAuliffe run unopposed for the nomination. It looks like he's been quietly running since Deeds lost and has probably won over the major donors and opinion makers. The fact that in the wake of his announcement no one notable came out to say they were even thinking about running is pretty telling. One would want to stunt his momentum as quickly as possible.

As for Webb and Perriello, it seems like Webb is done with electoral politics. Perriello's passion seems to be on international issues, a subject that is not particularly suited for a stint as Governor. He has a pretty influential job right now in D.C. anyways.

As for the general election, there are obviously problems with McAuliffe (past campaign folies, reputation as a partisan, lack of enthusiasm from party activists) but he has a fair amount of private sector experience as well. He'll portray himself as a moderate Democratic businessman and with enough money and smart tactics he'll probably make a race out of it.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 04:17:06 PM »

Why do so few former governors run for their old job?  The law bans consecutive terms; it doesn't stop them from running again later.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 06:06:01 PM »

He'll portray himself as a moderate Democratic businessman and with enough money and smart tactics he'll probably make a race out of it.

Because we all learnt in 2012 that being a moderate, businessman, with lots of cash behind you totally makes up for lack of enthusiasm, and being gaffe prone.
JacobNC
psychicpanda
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 06:48:24 PM »

The 2013 Republican primary will be the first big test for Republicans to see if they have learned anything from their trouncing in 2012.  Will they go with the Cuccinelli who you know can't wait to make a comment about rape, or the allegedly not-crazy Lt. Gov. Bolling, who is the establishment choice.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 08:24:42 PM »

He'll portray himself as a moderate Democratic businessman and with enough money and smart tactics he'll probably make a race out of it.

Because we all learnt in 2012 that being a moderate, businessman, with lots of cash behind you totally makes up for lack of enthusiasm, and being gaffe prone.

Yes, actually. A number of new members of Congress ran on that formula and were quite successful.
Ogre Mage
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -5.22

P
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2012, 12:18:41 AM »

As I recall you thought Tommy Thompson was going to win and Todd Akin had a fair chance to win.
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2012, 05:33:57 AM »

As I recall you thought Tommy Thompson and Sarkozy was were going to win and Todd Akin had a fair chance to win.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2012, 08:28:07 AM »

Why do so few former governors run for their old job?  The law bans consecutive terms; it doesn't stop them from running again later.

Taking a look at the recent Governors...

1. Chuck Robb took the Senate seat and was then considered as possible candidate for national office. No point of returning to the Governor's Mansion
2. Gerald L. Baliles... now he was a likely candidate to do so, considering that two Senate seats were locked and that he did not purse, despite some speculations, 1992 Democratic presidential nomination. Yet, he abandoned active politics after his term ended.
3. Douglas Wilder. Briefly attempted to run for Senate as indy in 1994. Probably wouldn't be able to become Governor again even if he wanted.
4. George Allen. Yes, we all know his story. Preferred to take the Senate seat, especially since he was a possible national candidates as well... until he had his Macaca moment.
5. Jim Gillmore... Remember that loser? HAHAHAHAHAHA!
6. Mark Warner, already discussed here.
7. Tim Kaine: again the Senate is better.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies