Why Are Americans So Supportive of Israel?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:05:27 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Why Are Americans So Supportive of Israel?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Why Are Americans So Supportive of Israel?  (Read 6012 times)
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2012, 05:41:21 PM »

I have always wondered this, and in light of the recent hostilities between Israel and Hamas, it has been brought back to the forefront of my mind. Why exactly is it that Americans blindly support Israel, no matter what. They seem to be kinda whiny and defensive over everything.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 05:42:44 PM »

Because the politicians say so.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 05:48:17 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2012, 05:53:44 PM by IDS Co-Speaker SJoyceFla »

Jesus and dollars.

In other words: In the Book of Revelations it says the Jews must control Jerusalem in order to bring about the Battle of Armageddon and therefore the Second Coming. Since the fundies believe every word of the Bible is true, they logically support Israel and thus the Second Coming (and as an aside the fiery death or conversion of all Jews). And since they make up such a large chunk of the US population... But that explains the Republicans. For the Democrats, American Jews have a lot of money and are located in certain states (say, Florida) where, if the Democrat doesn't support Israel, they could swing or not vote and thus throw the state to the Rs.
BM
BeccaM
United States

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 06:31:09 PM »

At the same time I don't understand why so many liberals side with Hamas considering their horrible treatment of women, gays, etc. I think it's just because conservatives blindly support Israel, so they feel the need to take the opposite position.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 07:15:30 PM »

I don't know about most Americans, but I support Israel because it is one of the few democracies in the Middle East, it is one of the most progressive nations in the world on such issues of gay rights and women's rights, and unlike Hamas, it tries to stop civilian deaths.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 09:13:08 PM »

I don't know about most Americans, but I support Israel because it is one of the few democracies in the Middle East, it is one of the most progressive nations in the world on such issues of gay rights and women's rights, and unlike Hamas, it tries to stop civilian deaths.
Exactly-

I find the person's comment who started this topic offensive- Israel may be "whiny" and "defensive" over rockets being launched at their territory killing their civilians...as if they are not right to object!!!
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 09:44:24 PM »

I mean, I think there should be a Palestinian state, but given the choice of Palestine or Israel, I would choose Israel.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 09:55:47 PM »

Americans can relate to them better. Functioning internal political institutions, more or less Western-oriented culture.
patrick1
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 10:01:02 PM »

Oh great so I have to be the one to point out that the media has been quite friendly to Israel for decades.  Many American Jews are also very prominent and influential. Some of them also advanced the cause of Israel.  I am by no means saying there is some conspiracy but it is a factor that hasnt been mentioned.

I do think the Christian evangelism stance is a greater contributor. I can't believe how some supposedly peaceful Christians suddenly start talking about the Lord destroying enemies and other such nonsense the moment Israel is engaged in some uneven conflict.  
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 10:17:29 PM »

Exactly-

I find the person's comment who started this topic offensive- Israel may be "whiny" and "defensive" over rockets being launched at their territory killing their civilians...as if they are not right to object!!!
Woah dawg simmer down. I'm just wondering why a lot of politicians and leaders just blindly pledge to support Israel in everything they do. And as I recall, it was Israel and Iran's crap and inability to talk stuff out that drove up oil and gas prices worldwide earlier this year.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »

I support Israelis and their right to exist in peace and hopefully harmony with those around them. I certainly don't support some of the bone-headed actions of their Government. The two are very different...

I also wonder about the knee-jerk of SOME on the left who immediately side with Hamas... despite you know... being utter scumbags.

But for those in the politico-religious world... hardcore Christians believe a full-on war in the Middle-East will trigger the end times...
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 11:23:10 PM »
« Edited: November 20, 2012, 11:26:01 PM by Dying Thoughts of a Martyr »

The fundamentalist aspect is a pretty small despite vocal minority, after all the mainline churches, Catholic church and about half of evangelicals have a pretty nuanced position on the conflict and don't literally believe in all the Book of Revelations stuff, so it's a rather small percentage.

The reality is primarily because of the cultural similarity, media slant, and that it's far more US friendly than the rest of the region. Obviously the disgust against the far too slanted US foreign policy here causes a pretty knee-jerk opposition that can get equally vile (it doesn't help that the current Israeli government is ran by really really awful, terrible, Horrible People), so it ends up being an issue where I get really annoyed by both sides.

The support isn't as lopsided as the media makes it appear though, I remember some poll recently saying that 60% of Americans approved of the the Israeli strikes on Gaza now, now compare that to support to the Afghanistan campaign from 2001-2008 or even the Iraq War when it first started (one could probably make a valid case that the two mentioned incidents might be related to drop in support for Israel's military actions...) and only 40% of Democrats.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 12:10:07 AM »

Why wouldn't we support a nation under attack by terrorists? If Native Americans were shooting rockets from reservations toward our cities, you'd better believe we'd take care of business too.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 12:27:27 AM »

Why wouldn't we support a nation under attack by terrorists? If Native Americans were shooting rockets from reservations toward our cities, you'd better believe we'd take care of business too.

Not the best example - it draws attention to the fact that we also have a history of treating indigenous peoples like crap.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2012, 12:29:38 AM »

Exactly-

Woah dawg simmer down. I'm just wondering why a lot of politicians and leaders just blindly pledge to support Israel in everything they do.
And it's been answered several times, why don't you respond to one of those instead of acting offended because someone took insult from your insults?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2012, 12:30:30 AM »

Exactly-

Woah dawg simmer down. I'm just wondering why a lot of politicians and leaders just blindly pledge to support Israel in everything they do. And as I recall, it was Israel and Iran's crap and inability to talk stuff out that drove up oil and gas prices worldwide earlier this year.
You simmer down, dawg
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2012, 12:38:01 AM »
« Edited: November 21, 2012, 12:41:07 AM by memphis »

Not the best example - it draws attention to the fact that we also have a history of treating indigenous peoples like crap.
Is acknowleging America's past some sort of unmentionable taboo? Israel is just as much an established fact as the United States. Both have a troubling past, but both are a present reality. Neither is going away. But Hamas thinks that it can start some trouble just so they can play the victim in hopes of getting some concessions. They don't give an Inks that some of their own people will get killed. It's a cynical strategy that must not succeed. You don't reward bad behavior. It just encourages more of it.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2012, 02:29:50 AM »

Oh great so I have to be the one to point out that the media has been quite friendly to Israel for decades.  Many American Jews are also very prominent and influential. Some of them also advanced the cause of Israel.  I am by no means saying there is some conspiracy but it is a factor that hasnt been mentioned.

"I'm not saying it was aliens, I'm just saying it was aliens."
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2012, 02:36:12 AM »

A whole host of reasons, some old and some new. In no particular order:

During the Cold War, Israel was a U.S. client while its neighbors - Syria and Egypt in particular - were Soviet client states. This became particularly important after the fall of the Shah, as Iran left the U.S. sphere of influence.

The United States' Jewish population is much larger and far more influential than its Muslim population. This was true to an even greater extent in the past.

A wide-spread perception that the Israelis are the 'good guys' and 'like us' because they speak English/are of European ancestry/have a democratic government, etc., while their neighbors do not.

Decades of random, world-spanning terrorism by the PLO and similar Palestinian organizations.

Worry as to what a nuclear-armed nation in dire straits might do.

Jewish supporters of Israel in the United States are a significant political block.

The religious right apparently views support of Israel as an aspect of their faith.

Because there is a very strong and very vocal pro-Israel lobby entrenched in Washington D.C.

Because the United States guaranteed Israel a certain level of support under the Camp David accords.

Because the United States and Israel have been allies for long enough that support for Israel has become the status quo.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2012, 05:46:30 AM »

I think we need to consult Snowstalker on this issue.
Yelnoc
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2012, 09:46:55 AM »

I think we need to consult Snowstalker on this issue.

Wink Wink
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2012, 11:11:01 AM »

At the same time I don't understand why so many liberals side with Hamas considering their horrible treatment of women, gays, etc. I think it's just because conservatives blindly support Israel, so they feel the need to take the opposite position.

Do they actually 'side with Hamas'?  Of course for myself I dislike the victims here, but that doesn't really change the fact that they're obviously victims or excuse the genocide.  (rather like saying 'well a lot of those Jews the Germans dealt with were real jerks').
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2012, 11:34:32 AM »

A whole host of reasons, some old and some new. In no particular order:

During the Cold War, Israel was a U.S. client while its neighbors - Syria and Egypt in particular - were Soviet client states. This became particularly important after the fall of the Shah, as Iran left the U.S. sphere of influence.

The United States' Jewish population is much larger and far more influential than its Muslim population. This was true to an even greater extent in the past.

A wide-spread perception that the Israelis are the 'good guys' and 'like us' because they speak English/are of European ancestry/have a democratic government, etc., while their neighbors do not.

Decades of random, world-spanning terrorism by the PLO and similar Palestinian organizations.

Worry as to what a nuclear-armed nation in dire straits might do.

Jewish supporters of Israel in the United States are a significant political block.

The religious right apparently views support of Israel as an aspect of their faith.

Because there is a very strong and very vocal pro-Israel lobby entrenched in Washington D.C.

Because the United States guaranteed Israel a certain level of support under the Camp David accords.

Because the United States and Israel have been allies for long enough that support for Israel has become the status quo.

Yeah, that's pretty much it - a  lot of complicated reasons.

I was going to add military intelligence as a big one, but that's implied in this post.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2012, 11:38:31 AM »

Exactly-

Well they really don't.  Did the Nazis have the 'right to object' to D-Day?
MrMittens
Mittens
Rookie

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2012, 03:38:13 PM »

Exactly-

Maybe because Iran keeps threatening to wipe Israel 'from the face of the earth'?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies