Can anyone from IA/NH realistically win the nomination?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 03:13:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Can anyone from IA/NH realistically win the nomination?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Can anyone from IA/NH realistically win the nomination?  (Read 1663 times)
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:55:40 PM »

Does IA and NH having the first contests in the nation have a negative effect on the presidential aspirations of IA/NH politicians? To use the most recent two cases as an example, either the candidate will have an embarrassingly poor performance in his home state (Vilsack), or his victory will be written off due to being a favorite son (Harkin). Thus, it is difficult to campaign in the other early primary state and built momentum without risking the Vilsack treatment. Thoughts?
limac333
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.39, S: -4.87

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »

I think so. It would probably make sense to follow the model of President Bartlet from The West Wing. Be extremely popular in NH or IA, and then spend your time campaigning elsewhere while everyone is fighting for second in your home state.

Being from IA or NH would definitely change things regarding how you run the early parts of your campaign, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 01:32:41 PM »

I think so. It would probably make sense to follow the model of President Bartlet from The West Wing. Be extremely popular in NH or IA, and then spend your time campaigning elsewhere while everyone is fighting for second in your home state.

Being from IA or NH would definitely change things regarding how you run the early parts of your campaign, but I don't see why it couldn't be done.

This is correct. I always base logical thinking off of what I see on TV.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:17:35 AM »

Dismissing an idea only because it comes from TV is pretty stupid too.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 05:31:43 PM »

Dismissing an idea only because it comes from TV is pretty stupid too.

Eh, I guess you're right. I mean, it did work for Tom Harkin when he ran for President.. and Tom Vilsack.. and Robert Smith
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies