Pennsylvania Quiz
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 02:20:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pennsylvania Quiz
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Quiz  (Read 1028 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 22, 2012, 10:57:52 AM »
« edited: November 22, 2012, 11:20:10 AM by Zerschlagt die faschistische räuberheere! »

No cheating, of course.

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean?
2. What is the state's nickname?
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania?
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania?
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681?

Easy:

1. The turning point battle of the Civil War was held near this small town.
2. Who is the current governor?
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators?
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named _________was beaten by one of the current senators.
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city.

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members?
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the...
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania.
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania?
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay.

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it?
2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs.
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War.
4. How many presidents resided in PA while in office, and who were they?
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania?

Very Hard:

1. Which Pennsylvania counties share names with U.S. states?
2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States?
3. What county is the main Penn State campus located in?
4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election?
5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why?

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years?
2. How many governors of Pennsylvania have been defeated for re-election?
3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves.
4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent?
5. What county are the towns of "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball" both located in?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2012, 12:21:13 PM »

Well, sylvania means forest or woods, and Penn probably refers to William Penn, so Pennsylvania must mean "forest of William Penn" or something along those lines.

The Keystone State.

Harrisburg.

Philadelphia.

William Penn? 

Gettysburg.

Corbit?  or Corbitt?  or Corbet?  Something like that.

Casey just got elected.   One guy just died.  Can't be him.  Damn.  Let's see, oh, Toomey.  IS that right?  Casey and Toomey?  I think it is.  I'm tempted to google but I'm trying this without cheating.

4. In 2006, a sitting senator named _________was beaten by one of the current senators.
No idea here.  It's interesting, though.  I'll google it after submitting.

Oh, he's always talking about it.  Wilkes-Barre I think.  No, hang on.  It's Scranton.  Yeah, Scranton.  He's always going on about "this Scranton boy..."

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members?
Democrats.  (I only know this because I post here and so many threads mention the gazillion-vote registration advantage.)

The Mason and Dixon line.

Hmm, Okay, there's Ohio to the west, West Virgina to the west and south, Maryland to the south, Delaware to the south, New Jersey to the east, and New York to the North. 

The Poconos, Allegheny, and Appalachians are all here, I think. 

5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay. 
The Susquehanna?  That also forms the western border of Lancaster County. 

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it?
Philadelphia maybe.  I think Lancaster was the capital for a day.  So was York.  I don't know why though.

2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs.
Stephen Foster?  I think he wrote that sort of stuff. 

3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War.
Hmmm.  I'd guess Ohio, since it is immediately west and all those pre-independence maps show Pennsylvania colony going due west for a long way.

Let's see...  Washington, Adams, and Jefferson...  Who knows.  I'm just guessing.  I do know that Buchanan's Wheatland is very near here.

Gary Johnson and Jill Stein? 

There's a Delaware county.  I think there's also an Ohio county.  That's all I can come up with.

2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States?
Ah, I mentioned them earlier.  York, Lancaster, and Philadelphia. 

College something.  College Station?  College Park?  Let's see.  Oh, yeah, it's called State College.

4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election?
Pffffffffffft.  Who knows?  I'll guess seven.

I'd guess Hershey, because of the chocolate factory.  I think I have a tourist guide that says something about sweetest place on it.  We did Dutch Wonderland in August.  Haven't been to the Hershey one yet.  maybe next summer.

Tip O'Neill?

Nineteen.

3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves.
Allentown, like it says in that Billy Ocean song.

4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent?
The county that Pittsburg is in.  Allegheny I think it's called.

Invagination County.

So, how'd I do?  Can I be for-real Lancastrian now or do I have to re-apply next year?
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2012, 12:28:13 PM »

Baby:

1. (William) Penn's woods
2. Keystone State
3. Harrisburg
4. Philadelphia
5. William Penn

Easy:

1. Gettysburg
2. Tom Corbett
3. Bob Casey, Pat Toomey
4. Rick Santorum
5. Scranton

Medium:

1. Democratic Party...?
2. Mason-Dixon Line
3. New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio
4. Appalachian
5. Susquehanna River

Hard:

3. Delaware?
5. Ron Paul, Newt Gingrich

Very Hard:

1. Delaware, Indiana, Wyoming, Washington aaaand I think that's it
3. Centre County
5. Hershey, because the Hershey's chocolate company is HQ'd there

Tough as nails:

4. Luzerne
5. Lancaster

Shameful!
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2012, 12:48:02 PM »

No cheating, of course.

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean? Penn's forest
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania? Harrisburg
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania? Philly
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681? William Penn

Easy:

1. The turning point battle of the Civil War was held near this small town. Gettsyburg?
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators? Bob Casey Jr
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named _________was beaten by one of the current senators. Santorum
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city. Pittsburgh

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members? Dems
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the... Mason-Dixon line?
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania. NY, OH, Maryland, WV, NJ
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania? Appalachians
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay. Hudson?

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? Philly, something to do with balancing state powers
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War. New Jersey
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania? Santorum, Bachmann

Very Hard:

5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why? Hershey because of the candy company headquartered there.

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years? Santorum?
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2012, 12:48:07 PM »

Hard-1 is Columbia, but it wasn't made the capital because Southerners wanted a more central/Southern capital.

All the others I know have been answered already.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

No cheating, of course.

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean? Penn's woods or something.
2. What is the state's nickname? Keystone State
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania? Harrisburg
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania? Philadelphia
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681? William Penn

Easy:

2. Who is the current governor? Tom Corbett
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators? Bob Casey Jr. and Pat Toomey
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named _________was beaten by one of the current senators. Rick Santorum
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city. Philadelphia

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members? Democratic
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the... PA-MD border.
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania. New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, New York, West Virginia, Ohio.
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania? Appalachians
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay. Delaware

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? Philadelphia; Southern protests.
2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs. Scott Key.
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War. Ohio?
4. How many presidents resided in PA while in office, and who were they? 2; Washington and Madison.
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania? Rick Santorum and Ron Paul.

Very Hard:

1. Which Pennsylvania counties share names with U.S. states? Virginia, Massachusetts and Ohio.
2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States? Philadelphia, Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh.
3. What county is the main Penn State campus located in? Wilson.
4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election? Six.
5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why? Hershey, home of the chocolate company.

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years? No idea.
2. How many governors of Pennsylvania have been defeated for re-election? 6.
3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves. No idea.
4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent? No idea.
5. What county are the towns of "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball" both located in? Middlesex County.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2012, 01:33:18 PM »

Hard-1 is Columbia, but it wasn't made the capital because Southerners wanted a more central/Southern capital.

All the others I know have been answered already.

Columbia?  Really?  The one about ten miles from here?

What a weird place.  I'm glad that they picked somewhere else for the national capital.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2012, 02:11:21 PM »

To clarify with the presidents question, it means which two presidents represented PA while in office (like how Obama represents IL).
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2012, 10:43:09 AM »

Well, sylvania means forest or woods, and Penn probably refers to William Penn, so Pennsylvania must mean "forest of William Penn" or something along those lines.

The Keystone State.

Harrisburg.

Philadelphia.

William Penn? 

Gettysburg.

Corbit?  or Corbitt?  or Corbet?  Something like that.

Casey just got elected.   One guy just died.  Can't be him.  Damn.  Let's see, oh, Toomey.  IS that right?  Casey and Toomey?  I think it is.  I'm tempted to google but I'm trying this without cheating.

No idea here.  It's interesting, though.  I'll google it after submitting.

Oh, he's always talking about it.  Wilkes-Barre I think.  No, hang on.  It's Scranton.  Yeah, Scranton.  He's always going on about "this Scranton boy..."

Democrats.  (I only know this because I post here and so many threads mention the gazillion-vote registration advantage.)

The Mason and Dixon line.

Hmm, Okay, there's Ohio to the west, West Virgina to the west and south, Maryland to the south, Delaware to the south, New Jersey to the east, and New York to the North. 

The Poconos, Allegheny, and Appalachians are all here, I think. 

The Susquehanna?  That also forms the western border of Lancaster County. 

Philadelphia maybe.  I think Lancaster was the capital for a day.  So was York.  I don't know why though.

Stephen Foster?  I think he wrote that sort of stuff. 

Hmmm.  I'd guess Ohio, since it is immediately west and all those pre-independence maps show Pennsylvania colony going due west for a long way.

Let's see...  Washington, Adams, and Jefferson...  Who knows.  I'm just guessing.  I do know that Buchanan's Wheatland is very near here.

Gary Johnson and Jill Stein? 

There's a Delaware county.  I think there's also an Ohio county.  That's all I can come up with.

Ah, I mentioned them earlier.  York, Lancaster, and Philadelphia. 

College something.  College Station?  College Park?  Let's see.  Oh, yeah, it's called State College.

Pffffffffffft.  Who knows?  I'll guess seven.

I'd guess Hershey, because of the chocolate factory.  I think I have a tourist guide that says something about sweetest place on it.  We did Dutch Wonderland in August.  Haven't been to the Hershey one yet.  maybe next summer.

Tip O'Neill?

Nineteen.

Allentown, like it says in that Billy Ocean song.

The county that Pittsburg is in.  Allegheny I think it's called.

Invagination County.

So, how'd I do?  Can I be for-real Lancastrian now or do I have to re-apply next year?

100% correct! Tongue
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2012, 08:50:44 PM »

Ha! 

I should have known more about some of those. 

I wonder why Phil didn't post here.  I bet he'd get 100%.

By the way, I Googled it and still couldn't find anything about a beating in 2006 by one of Pennsylvania's current senators.  I remember learning about a Massachusetts senator named Charles Sumner being beaten, in the mid-1800s, by a South Carolinian.  I forget his name.  But I didn't find anything about a more recent senator being beaten by another.  Do tell.  That's pretty interesting. 
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2012, 03:21:46 PM »

I think the 2006 election question doesn't relate to a CURRENTLY sitting senator, but rather just Santorum.

The Senate Minority Leader in the late 50's and early 60's was Hugh....? Leavitt?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2012, 08:47:59 AM »
« Edited: November 26, 2012, 08:50:12 AM by J. J. »

No cheating, of course.

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean?  Penn's woods
2. What is the state's nickname?  Keystone State
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania?  Harrisburg
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania?  Philadelphia
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681?  Harrisburg

Easy:

1. The turning point battle of the Civil War was held near this small town.  Gettysburg
2. Who is the current governor?  Tom Corbett
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators?  Casey (Jr) and Toomey
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named _________was beaten by one of the current senators. Santorum
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city.  Scranton

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members? Demorcrat
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the...  Mason Dixon Line
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania.  NY, NJ, DE, MD, WV, OH
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania?  Allegheny (though it more central PA)
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay.  Susquehanna

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it?  Germantown.  DC was a compromise with southern states.
2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs. Daniel Foster
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War.  DE, but I think it was before the Revolution
4. How many presidents resided in PA while in office, and who were they?  Buchanan and Eisenhower.
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania?  Paul and Gingrich.

Very Hard:

1. Which Pennsylvania counties share names with U.S. states?  Delaware, Washington, Indiana, Wyoming.
2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States?  Philadelphia, Lancaster, York.
3. What county is the main Penn State campus located in?  Centre
4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election? Washington, Green, Lawrence, Westmoreland, Fayette, Cambria (5)
5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why?  Hersey, the home of Hersey Chocolate.

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years?  Hugh Scott
2. How many governors of Pennsylvania have been defeated for re-election?  None
3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves.  West Chester?
4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent?  Washington?
5. What county are the towns of "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball" both located in?  Lancaster
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 03:22:37 PM »

I just discovered a community called Fertility just about a mile east of Lancaster city limits.  It's behind the big Walmart on Lincoln Highway.
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2014, 07:34:55 PM by NJ Christian »

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean? - ''Penn's Woods''
2. What is the state's nickname? - The Keystone State
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania? - Harrisburg
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania? - Philadelphia
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681? - William Penn

Easy:

1. The turning point battle of the Civil War was held near this small town. - Gettysburg
2. Who is the current governor? - Tom Corbett (R)
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators? Bob Casey, Jr. (D) and Pat Toomey (R)
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named Rick Santorum was beaten by one of the current senators.
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city. - Scranton

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members? - Democratic Party
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the...Mason-Dixon Line
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania. - New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania? - Appalachian Mountains
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay. - Susquehanna River

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? - I can't remember exactly which one. Your choice of the word ''town'' rules out Philadelphia. Either Lancaster or York, I guess; since they briefly served as national capitals.
2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs. - I don't know.
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War. - Delaware
4. How many presidents resided in PA while in office, and who were they? - James Buchanan (D) and Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania? - Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul

Very Hard:

1. Which Pennsylvania counties share names with U.S. states? - Delaware County, Wyoming County
2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States? - Philadelphia, Lancaster, York
3. What county is the main Penn State campus located in? - Centre County
4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election? - Can't remember off the top of my head. Five?
5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why? - Hershey?

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years? - Hugh Scott
2. How many governors of Pennsylvania have been defeated for re-election? - None
3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves. - I don't know
4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent? - Luzerne County
5. What county are the towns of "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball" both located in? - Lancaster County

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 07:47:19 PM »

1) Penn's Woods
2) Keystone State
3) Harrisburg
4) Philadelphia
5) William Penn

1) Gettysburg
2) Tom Corbett
3) Bob Casey, Pat Toomey
4) Rick Santorum
5) Scranton

1) Democrats
2) Mason-Dixon line
3) New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, Ohio, West Virginia
4) Appalachian
5) Susquehanna

1) Philadelphia
2) ?
3) Delaware
4) Buchanan, don't know the second
5) Rick Santorum, Ron Paul (not sure about these)

1) Delaware County (where I live), Indiana County, Wyoming County
2) Philadelphia, York, don't know the third
3) Centre County
4) No clue, probably a few in Western PA. 4?
5) Hershey, chocolate factory

1) ?
2) 0 (until November, when it will be 1 Smiley)
3) ?
4) ?
5) Lancaster County
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2014, 08:04:26 PM by NJ Christian »

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? - I can't remember exactly which one. Your choice of the word ''town'' rules out Philadelphia. Either Lancaster or York, I guess; since they briefly served as national capitals.

Well, this is the most obvious one that I got wrong. I knew Philadelphia had been considered for U.S. capital. Not sure why I second-guessed myself just because I saw the word ''town'' instead of ''city''. Tongue

The correct answer is Columbia, as it turns out.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2014, 07:54:59 PM »

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean? - "You're almost to Massachusetts"
2. What is the state's nickname? - Keystone Phil
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania? - P
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania? - Los Angeles
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681? - William "Bill" Clinton

Easy:

1. The turning point battle of the Civil War was held near this small town. - Normandy
2. Who is the current governor? - Ed Rendell
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators? - Wiz Khalifa, Mac Miller
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named _________was beaten by one of the current senators. - 50 Cent
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city. - America

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members? - Pizza party
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the... - Point of no return
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania. - Every state you never want to go to.
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania? - Rocky
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay. - Nile

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? - Seattle -- it hadn't been founded yet
2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs. - JB Brubaker
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War. - Texas
4. How many presidents resided in PA while in office, and who were they? - Buchanan
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania? - Ron Paul (truu), Vermin Supreme

Very Hard:

1. Which Pennsylvania counties share names with U.S. states? - Adams, Montgomery
2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States? - Bradford, Lancaster, Millersville
3. What county is the main Penn State campus located in? - County Jail
4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election? - 20
5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why? - Pittsburgh, because it's almost out of Pennsylvania

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years? - George W Bush
2. How many governors of Pennsylvania have been defeated for re-election? - tree fiddy.
3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves. - Birmingham
4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent? - Warsaw?
5. What county are the towns of "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball" both located in? - Frustration

Did I win?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2014, 07:55:31 PM »

5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why? - Hershey?

We were just there two weeks ago.  Went to Hershey Park.  My son is now a Twizzler (between 54 and 60 inches tall), and can now ride all the big roller coasters.  (I'm a Jolly Rancher, over 60 inches tall.  Not sure what extra privileges that brings.)  Saw the big signs "Sweetest Place on Earth" signs as we entered the city limits.  Interestingly, we passed a disproportionately large number of dentists' offices on the way in.  I guess it should not be surprising.  Still, the high density of family dentistry offices in Hershey is very striking.

FYI, Milton Hershey started his first successful company in Lancaster.  It was the Lancaster Caramel Company, founded in 1887.  He sold that in 1900 and opened a new business 30 miles north of Lancaster, near his birthplace of Derry, PA.  The town that grew up around his business became Hershey, Pa, the Sweetest Place on Earth.  And home to a thriving cottage dental industry.

Lucky for those early 20th Century dental students, Hershey's wife took ill and he had to cancel his travel plans to return to the US in 1912 and got a refund on his tickets that he had bought for a trip on the luxury liner the RMS Titanic.  As it was, he did not board the Titanic, and lived to build the world's largest chocolate company, to the economic security of dentists everywhere.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2014, 08:33:51 PM »

Delaware was never part of pennsylvania. Maryland claimed it once the Dutch left, pennsylvania was concerned about Catholics controlling its access to the Delaware bay and the ocean. The king gave penn proprietorship over the first state. Iirc.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2014, 08:39:00 PM »

No cheating, of course.

Baby:

I already failed Sad
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2014, 09:36:01 PM »

Baby:

Penn's vania?  As in William Penn?

Keystone State

Harrisburg

Philadelphia

William Penn

Easy:

Gettysburg

Corbett

Casey and Toomey

Santorum

Allentown?

Medium:

Democratic

Mason-Dixon

New York, Ohio, West Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey

Appalachian

Allegheny?

Hard:

Philadelphia.  Because their fans suck. 

Do-Dah

Delaware

Washington, Adams, Jefferson

Santorum and Cain?

Very Hard:

Delaware

Philadelphia, Allentown, and Scranton?

Centre

I'll say 3 around Pittsburgh

Hershey, because chocolate is made there

Tough as nails:

Biden?

no idea

Lancaster?

Uhhhhh... Cambria?
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies