Pennsylvania Quiz (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 04:29:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Pennsylvania Quiz (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pennsylvania Quiz  (Read 1056 times)
SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« on: August 26, 2014, 07:33:21 PM »
« edited: August 26, 2014, 07:34:55 PM by NJ Christian »

Baby:

1. What does "Pennsylvania" mean? - ''Penn's Woods''
2. What is the state's nickname? - The Keystone State
3. What is the capital of Pennsylvania? - Harrisburg
4. What is the largest city in Pennsylvania? - Philadelphia
5. Who founded the colony of Pennsylvania in 1681? - William Penn

Easy:

1. The turning point battle of the Civil War was held near this small town. - Gettysburg
2. Who is the current governor? - Tom Corbett (R)
3. Who are Pennsylvania's two sitting senators? Bob Casey, Jr. (D) and Pat Toomey (R)
4. In 2006, a sitting senator named Rick Santorum was beaten by one of the current senators.
5. Vice President Biden was born in this PA city. - Scranton

Medium:

1. What is the largest political party in Pennsylvania by number of registered members? - Democratic Party
2. The border between Pennsylvania and Maryland is known as the...Mason-Dixon Line
3. Name every state that borders Pennsylvania. - New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Maryland, West Virginia, Ohio
4. What major mountain range runs through western Pennsylvania? - Appalachian Mountains
5. This large river runs through Pennsylvania and empties at the Chesapeake Bay. - Susquehanna River

Hard:

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? - I can't remember exactly which one. Your choice of the word ''town'' rules out Philadelphia. Either Lancaster or York, I guess; since they briefly served as national capitals.
2. This Pennsylvanian wrote "Camptown Ladies", "My Old Kentucky Home", and other famous songs. - I don't know.
3. This state was part of Pennsylvania until it seceded during the Revolutionary War. - Delaware
4. How many presidents resided in PA while in office, and who were they? - James Buchanan (D) and Dwight D. Eisenhower (R)
5. Which two 2012 Republican presidential candidates were born in Pennsylvania? - Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul

Very Hard:

1. Which Pennsylvania counties share names with U.S. states? - Delaware County, Wyoming County
2. Which three Pennsylvania cities have actually served as the capital of the United States? - Philadelphia, Lancaster, York
3. What county is the main Penn State campus located in? - Centre County
4. How many counties voted for both Walter Mondale and Mitt Romney in the general election? - Can't remember off the top of my head. Five?
5. What Pennsylvania town is nicknamed "The Sweetest Place on Earth", and why? - Hershey?

Tough as nails:

1. Which Pennsylvanian served as Senate Minority Leader for eight years? - Hugh Scott
2. How many governors of Pennsylvania have been defeated for re-election? - None
3. This small PA town was the site of a major riot over the capture of fugitive slaves. - I don't know
4. What is the only county in the U.S. where a plurality of residents are of Polish descent? - Luzerne County
5. What county are the towns of "Intercourse" and "Blue Ball" both located in? - Lancaster County

SNJ1985
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.19, S: 7.57

« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2014, 07:50:13 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2014, 08:04:26 PM by NJ Christian »

1. What town in Pennsylvania was originally set to be the U.S. capital, and why didn't it get it? - I can't remember exactly which one. Your choice of the word ''town'' rules out Philadelphia. Either Lancaster or York, I guess; since they briefly served as national capitals.

Well, this is the most obvious one that I got wrong. I knew Philadelphia had been considered for U.S. capital. Not sure why I second-guessed myself just because I saw the word ''town'' instead of ''city''. Tongue

The correct answer is Columbia, as it turns out.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies