Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 01:53:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results
  2012 U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8
Author Topic: Realisticidealist's 2012 Precinct Map Thread  (Read 72017 times)
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: December 05, 2012, 11:14:14 PM »

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #126 on: December 06, 2012, 01:00:21 AM »

Do you have Harris County, TX, New York, NY, Los Angeles County, CA, Fairfax County, VA, Fulton County, GA, Nacogdoches County, TX, and Utah County, UT?
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #127 on: December 06, 2012, 01:44:39 AM »

Do you have Harris County, TX, New York, NY, Los Angeles County, CA, Fairfax County, VA, Fulton County, GA, Nacogdoches County, TX, and Utah County, UT?

Fairfax, VA and Fulton, GA have already been posted in some form. Most of the others aren't finalized yet.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: December 06, 2012, 03:36:33 AM »

Here's Los Angeles County (though it doesn't take into account all votes). Not terribly exciting. I am more interested in the propositions.

http://graphics.latimes.com/how-la-voted-2012/
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #129 on: December 06, 2012, 10:53:39 AM »

Fairfax, VA and Fulton, GA have already been posted in some form. Most of the others aren't finalized yet.

I just saw Fairfax, VA and Fulton, GA. Pretty interesting to see those, but I also saw the poster above for LAC, all I gotta say is that inner-city LA and Hollywood are voting almost the same way all the time.

I can't wait for the others though to come up, I also I'd like to see San Mateo County, CA. I'd like to see how Silicon Valley voted.
Benj

« Reply #130 on: December 06, 2012, 11:26:05 AM »
« Edited: December 06, 2012, 11:27:50 AM by Benj »

I just saw Fairfax, VA and Fulton, GA. Pretty interesting to see those, but I also saw the poster above for LAC, all I gotta say is that inner-city LA and Hollywood are voting almost the same way all the time.

I can't wait for the others though to come up, I also I'd like to see San Mateo County, CA. I'd like to see how Silicon Valley voted.

Nearly all of Silicon Valley is in Santa Clara County, FTR. Palo Alto, Mountain View, Sunnyvale, Cupertino, etc. Only Atherton and Menlo Park are in San Mateo County.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #131 on: December 06, 2012, 12:28:10 PM »

The only interesting thing will be seeing how Atherton, Hillsborough, Woodside and Portola Valley voted (probably all Obama is my guess). AKA 1% territory. Otherwise I can already guarantee you no non-ranch precinct voted for Romney. The Silicon Valley vote is very consistent.
johnbuterbaugh
Rookie
United States

« Reply #132 on: December 06, 2012, 12:37:02 PM »

Not sure whether you're using Atlas colors or normal colors, but either way you appear to have the colors reversed in Connecticut from the rest of the map.
Thanks for pointing that out. I forgot to flip the color scheme in Connecticut. I just uploaded a different map because I found the previous one misleading. Vermont is by no means a purple state but the method I was using was absolute vote margin as opposed to proportional vote margin. So, I just made two classes of color. Although it appears that Homely Cooking has already made an excellent map.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #133 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:47 PM »

Here's Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley).
http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/CA/Santa_Clara/43231/113724/en/md_zoom.html?cid=7&

I think a couple precincts in Saratoga, Los Gatos and the Almaden Valley voted for Romney. These are the whiter areas of the county, but still obviously voted for Obama overall. I think there may be one in Los Altos Hills, which has a good number of Asians, but also a lot of 1%ers.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #134 on: December 06, 2012, 01:35:54 PM »

Here's Santa Clara County (Silicon Valley).
http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/CA/Santa_Clara/43231/113724/en/md_zoom.html?cid=7&

I think a couple precincts in Saratoga, Los Gatos and the Almaden Valley voted for Romney. These are the whiter areas of the county, but still obviously voted for Obama overall. I think there may be one in Los Altos Hills, which has a good number of Asians, but also a lot of 1%ers.

Wow thanks. I was somewhat surprised at Milpitas being part GOP, because I know there's a lot of Asians there. 

Well I'd like to see how Daly City, CA did, since I know it has a lot of Filipinos.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #135 on: December 06, 2012, 02:01:30 PM »

I think those are ranches east of Milpitas. Pretty sure about that. Milpitas is exactly the sort of place I would think actually swung to Obama. Also Daly City votes very Democratic. Everyone votes Democratic actually. This is the Bay Area.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #136 on: December 06, 2012, 02:04:03 PM »

Everyone votes Democratic actually. This is the Bay Area.

That's a big generalization, they were pockets of Republicans in Los Gatos.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #137 on: December 06, 2012, 02:24:02 PM »

Everyone votes Democratic actually. This is the Bay Area.

That's a big generalization, they were pockets of Republicans in Los Gatos.

Meh, I grew up in the "Republican" part of the Bay Area, the inland east bay. Trust me, it's not a big generalization. Of course there are Republicans out there, but most Republican precincts are ranches and then 1%er territory. And I don't mean areas with incomes over 100k, I mean precincts with incomes over 200-250k. Here's Contra Costa County for you. Again it's just ranches and wealthier precincts in Danville, Alamo and Blackhawk. I still think Danville voted for Obama. And of course redneck central, Discovery Bay.

http://results.enr.clarityelections.com/CA/Contra_Costa/42275/113668/en/md_zoom.html?cid=0105&
JJHW17

« Reply #138 on: December 06, 2012, 02:35:52 PM »

Most Bay Area counties have their SoVs online now so you can see the city-by-city results.

Milpitas actually had the largest swing toward Obama among Bay Area cities at 12% and Daly City had second largest at 8%. Obama underperformed in Milpitas in 2008 compared to other Silicon Valley cities (both Los Altos and Los Gatos beat it), and Daly City was stuck around D-75%/R-23% for 3 consecutive elections, so the large swings Obama got in both cities in 2012 are not that surprising in hindsight. Kind of a delayed reaction against the Republican brand among Bay Area Asians I guess.

No other Bay Area cities as far as I know swung more than 6.5% toward Obama. The generally-wealthier cities in the Peninsula, W/SW Silicon Valley, Central Contra Costa County, Tri-Valley, and Marin County swung against him. Obama narrowly held onto Danville and Clayton, but lost uber-wealthy Atherton and Hillsborough. Results for the other Bay Area incorporated cities are of course, self-explanatory.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #139 on: December 06, 2012, 02:39:31 PM »

If the Bay Area is as liberal as everyone thinks, why is its leading newspaper (the San Francisco Chronicle) so right-wing?
Benj

« Reply #140 on: December 06, 2012, 02:49:38 PM »

I think those are ranches east of Milpitas. Pretty sure about that. Milpitas is exactly the sort of place I would think actually swung to Obama. Also Daly City votes very Democratic. Everyone votes Democratic actually. This is the Bay Area.

By "ranches", do you mean gated communities?
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #141 on: December 06, 2012, 02:52:45 PM »

By "ranches", do you mean gated communities?

No, I mean ranches. With horses and all that good stuff. The gated communities in some areas vote Republican though. Blackhawk in Contra Costa County is a good example. Alameda County is too retarded to put up maps for the Presidential results, and instead put up maps for the Mayor of Berkeley, so we will have to wait for Ruby Hills in Pleasanton (my home town). But when I say ranches, I mean ranches.
JJHW17

« Reply #142 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:20 PM »

How's the Chronicle right-wing? Sure the comments section attract a lot of right-wingers who just want to troll the newspaper of the "most liberal city in the US". But the paper, outside of a token right-leaning columnist, is quite liberal-leaning. Heck, it recently ran a story on how a black LA police officer and his family were forced to move out of OC's Yorba Linda after being repeatedly heckled by racist residents, a story that did not even appear on the OC Register.

The SF Examiner, on the other hand, was owned by a right-wing organization for a while and was quite right-wing during that stretch. It recently changed hands though and is now politically-similar to the Chronicle. It endorsed Obama this year after endorsing McCain under its previous owners.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2012, 02:59:06 PM »

All I've seen the Chronicle do in the past year is attack Occupy. Attack, attack, attack. And some of the stuff they've said about Occupy isn't even true - like when they blamed Occupy for a vandalism spree that Occupy had nothing to do with.

The Chronicle makes the Cincinnati Enquirer look like the Online Lunchpail in comparison.
JJHW17

« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2012, 03:17:04 PM »

Well, considering how much vandalism and other economic damage downtown Oakland suffered during the city's Occupy movement, it's hard to blame any newspaper, conservative or liberal, to criticize the local Occupy groups. Most of the vandalism was caused by opportunistic anarchists, but IMO Occupy should've done more to actively push out those hooligans. Anyways, Oakland's an odd target for Occupy since I believe Clorox is the only Fortune 500 company based there. Heck, Occupy San Ramon (where Chevron is headquartered at) would've been a better idea.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2012, 03:19:32 PM »

Yeah, occupy has been bad news for the Bay Area, especially Oakland. They cause property damage of people who are just small business owners trying to get by. Anarchists are ridiculous.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2012, 11:19:22 PM »

Also out of curiosity, Cook County, IL and Suffolk County, MA.

The home counties of the candidates.
RBH

« Reply #147 on: December 07, 2012, 07:35:50 PM »

Belmont is in Middlesex County, MA

Obama won Belmont by a 31% margin
Benj

« Reply #148 on: December 09, 2012, 09:26:11 PM »

One request: Washington, DC. Not the results, though those would also be appreciated, but the change in raw vote from 2008 to 2012. Alternatively, the change in turnout, if you have that data. DC saw by far the biggest increase in raw vote nationally, 10.5%. (The next three were Colorado, 7.0%; Utah, 6.8%; and Nevada, 4.9%.) I'd like to see where that was concentrated.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #149 on: December 09, 2012, 11:26:05 PM »

One request: Washington, DC. Not the results, though those would also be appreciated, but the change in raw vote from 2008 to 2012. Alternatively, the change in turnout, if you have that data. DC saw by far the biggest increase in raw vote nationally, 10.5%. (The next three were Colorado, 7.0%; Utah, 6.8%; and Nevada, 4.9%.) I'd like to see where that was concentrated.

There were 15 slight changes in the precinct boundaries between 2008 and 2012, which probably accounts for the largest variations.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies