NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:40:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31
Author Topic: NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio  (Read 73598 times)
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: May 22, 2013, 07:38:28 AM »

I'll be doing backflips if he beats Quinn.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #101 on: May 22, 2013, 07:42:12 AM »

He already has his campaign website on, incl. a first campaign video with his baby child and wife who supports him, plus a 64-point plan for NYC called "Keys to the City":

http://www.anthonyweiner.com
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #102 on: May 22, 2013, 08:41:04 AM »

Anybody but Quinn.
Sol
Junior Chimp
Bosnia and Herzegovina

« Reply #103 on: May 22, 2013, 09:29:21 AM »

Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #104 on: May 22, 2013, 10:30:17 AM »

I'll be doing backflips if Quinn beats him. I seriously don't see what's so good about Weiner. That he has some entertaining YouTube videos? When I read about him, every story seems to be about the sexting scandal.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #105 on: May 22, 2013, 11:54:59 AM »

Ugh, boo hiss.

Weiner's transportation plan is nonexistent at best, and he's sure to suck the oxygen out of the room from better candidates (not just, of course, my favorite no-hoper, but de Blasio qualifies as "better" here too).

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2013/05/22/on-candidate-weiners-lackluster-transportation-plan/

You must be logged in to read this quote.

There's basically no way I'm voting for Weiner with a platform like that.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #106 on: May 22, 2013, 02:13:14 PM »

I'll be doing backflips if Quinn beats him. I seriously don't see what's so good about Weiner. That he has some entertaining YouTube videos? When I read about him, every story seems to be about the sexting scandal.

What is good at all about Christine Quinn?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #107 on: May 22, 2013, 02:58:30 PM »

I believe I asked you first. What is good at all about Anthony Weiner?
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #108 on: May 22, 2013, 03:00:49 PM »

He calls the GOP out on BS. He's like Teddy Kennedy, but as a Jewish Congressman.
Benj

« Reply #109 on: May 22, 2013, 03:04:56 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 03:09:21 PM by Benj »

Quinn drops to 25%, Weiner is already second with 15%.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-york-city/release-detail?ReleaseID=1894

2013 looks to be the year when then wife-cheaters return ... Tongue

That's actually unchanged for Weiner since April.

Quinn: 25 (-3)
Weiner: 15 (nc)
de Blasio: 10 (-1)
Thompson: 10 (nc)
Liu: 6 (-3)
Albanese 2 (+2; previously not included)
Other/Won't Vote: 5 (+1)
Don't Know: 27 (+3)

Looks pretty MOE-y to me.

Also, 49% think Weiner should not run, to 38% who think he should. Even Ray Kelly has considerably more people who think he should run (45-38 yes)--somewhat surprised at how strong his approval rating is, actually, especially since stop-and-frisk polls poorly.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #110 on: May 22, 2013, 03:10:54 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 03:14:02 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

He was a damn good Congressman for those of us with red avatars. Now, please, tell me something redeeming about Bloomberg's lapdog.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #111 on: May 22, 2013, 03:35:15 PM »

He was a damn good Congressman for those of us with red avatars. Now, please, tell me something redeeming about Bloomberg's lapdog.

How was he "damn good"? He lost his seat to a Republican. By definition, that's bad for us "red avatars."

I'm a bit confused as to how people seem to have a more negative reaction to "Bloomberg's lapdog" than Bloomberg himself, who as I recall never generated such vitriol, was reelected, and had a positive approval rating well into his third term.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #112 on: May 22, 2013, 03:47:43 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 03:49:54 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

Ignoring your misleading use of the word "lost", I guess liberals should hold Russ Feingold in poor regard. I didn't support Weiner's decision to resign, FWIW, but he was terrific in the House.

Regarding the third term fiasco that placed Quinn solidly in the grounds of unsupportable on here, I think everyone expected that kind of power grab from Bloomberg to the point where a lot of the blame was (rightfully) placed on Quinn's shoulders. Her resume is pretty terrible beyond that.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #113 on: May 22, 2013, 04:15:38 PM »

Ignoring your misleading use of the word "lost", I guess liberals should hold Russ Feingold in poor regard. I didn't support Weiner's decision to resign, FWIW, but he was terrific in the House.

Uh, Feingold has his name on McCain Feingold, which was the biggest campaign finance reform legislation in a generation. It probably wouldn't have happened without him. You still haven't answered my question. Why, exactly, do you like Weiner?

So it's ok when Bloomberg does it because "everyone expected it" but it's not ok that Quinn agreed to it, even though it was Bloomberg's third term we're talking about and he's the one who wanted it in the first place?
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #114 on: May 22, 2013, 04:37:14 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 04:43:29 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

Uh, Feingold has his name on McCain Feingold, which was the biggest campaign finance reform legislation in a generation. It probably wouldn't have happened without him. You still haven't answered my question. Why, exactly, do you like Weiner?

You missed the point about your faulty logic. Should I be less approving of Feingold's positions and accomplishments because he lost to a Republican? That' what you're implying about Weiner's record.

And do I really have to list out all the things that Weiner fought and pushed for that I agree with politically? He was a strong, progressive voice in the party and is, most importantly, a champion of single-payer health care. I like his work as a politician, not necessarily as a person. He's just a much better option than Quinn.

So it's ok when Bloomberg does it because "everyone expected it" but it's not ok that Quinn agreed to it, even though it was Bloomberg's third term we're talking about and he's the one who wanted it in the first place?

How do you deduce from my comment that what Bloomberg did was okay? The super obvious implication in what I'm saying is that most on here already loathe Bloomberg and Quinn is the reason why he was able to circumvent the system. Quinn was also able to run for a third term thanks to the temporary change in term limits.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #115 on: May 22, 2013, 05:07:22 PM »

You missed the point about your faulty logic. Should I be less approving of Feingold's positions and accomplishments because he lost to a Republican? That' what you're implying about Weiner's record.

Well, some people do think that losing = incompetence = less worthy of approval, but I agree with you. I'm no less approving of Feingold because he lost. He represented a state that swings heavily, unlike some others he didn't draw a turd tea party challenger, and he was facing massive national headwinds through no fault of his own. He's still just a great. The same can't be said about Weiner. Him losing his seat was entirely his own fault. The whole thing was initiated by him and solely him; not an ounce of blame falls outside himself. The whole situation is the opposite of Feingold.

He's a neocon who voted for the Iraq war. Yeah, I agree with him on single-payer, but how does that translate to City Hall? His health care bill never stood a snowball's chance in hell, and I don't believe for a second that he wasn't aware of that. It was entirely a publicity stunt to boost himself, that didn't do anything for anybody.

How do you deduce from my comment that what Bloomberg did was okay? The super obvious implication in what I'm saying is that most on here already loathe Bloomberg and Quinn is the reason why he was able to circumvent the system. Quinn was also able to run for a third term thanks to the temporary change in term limits.
[/quote]

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=172569.25

I would say Bloomberg is mildly unpopular on the forum, but that's after a decade in office. Personally I don't see what's so odious about him, yeah he's a little too authoritarian for my taste, but he has a lot of good positions, too. Basically, if you hate Quinn because of her alliance with Bloomberg (which seems to be common), that implies you should loathe Bloomberg, and I just don't see that.
BluegrassBlueVote
United States

« Reply #116 on: May 22, 2013, 09:21:59 PM »
« Edited: May 22, 2013, 09:25:47 PM by BluegrassBlueVote »

Well, some people do think that losing = incompetence = less worthy of approval, but I agree with you. I'm no less approving of Feingold because he lost. He represented a state that swings heavily, unlike some others he didn't draw a turd tea party challenger, and he was facing massive national headwinds through no fault of his own. He's still just a great. The same can't be said about Weiner. Him losing his seat was entirely his own fault. The whole thing was initiated by him and solely him; not an ounce of blame falls outside himself. The whole situation is the opposite of Feingold

Weprin losing was not entirely Weiner's fault. The seat was safely back in Democratic hands just a few months later, anyway.

He's a neocon who voted for the Iraq war. Yeah, I agree with him on single-payer, but how does that translate to City Hall? His health care bill never stood a snowball's chance in hell, and I don't believe for a second that he wasn't aware of that. It was entirely a publicity stunt to boost himself, that didn't do anything for anybody.

If his health care views have no relevance to City Hall, then how does his views a decade ago on Iraq? That makes no sense.

And whether it could pass or not, Weiner truly does believe in single-payer health care. The man is passionate about what he believes in and I applaud him for putting single-payer into the national spotlight. That's very important now and for the decades ahead as we try to achieve that goal.

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=172569.25

I would say Bloomberg is mildly unpopular on the forum, but that's after a decade in office. Personally I don't see what's so odious about him, yeah he's a little too authoritarian for my taste, but he has a lot of good positions, too. Basically, if you hate Quinn because of her alliance with Bloomberg (which seems to be common), that implies you should loathe Bloomberg, and I just don't see that.

An 18-30 margin seems pretty demonstrative to me. 62.5% would be called a landslide in every electoral scenario.

I don't support Quinn's candidacy for a whole mess of reasons; the deal with Bloomberg is just the most salient. Since we've fleshed out my views on Weiner at this point, why do you like Quinn?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2013, 09:33:28 PM »

I don't support Quinn's candidacy for a whole mess of reasons; the deal with Bloomberg is just the most salient. Since we've fleshed out my views on Weiner at this point, why do you like Quinn?

She's progressive, she knows how to get things done, and she's got plenty of accomplishments as Council Speaker. There are some reasons why you might support someone else, and as a non resident of NYC I can't speak to those. But mostly I just think a lot of the sh**t she gets is exaggerated. And I really don't like Weiner and what he represents in the party.

He sometimes knows how to put on a good show, but he's also his own worst enemy.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #118 on: May 23, 2013, 08:27:24 AM »

Rasmussen says Weiner cuts Quinn-lead to 6 points:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/general_politics/may_2013/nyc_mayor_quinn_24_weiner_18
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #119 on: May 23, 2013, 11:39:26 AM »

The NYT has a pic of who's running:

Benj

« Reply #120 on: May 23, 2013, 11:56:17 AM »

It will be a disaster if Weiner wins the mayoralty. He's all show and no substance, and you can't just coast on soundbites as mayor the way you can in Congress.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #121 on: May 23, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »

This campaign is already a hit! Weiner banner includes Pittsburgh skyline -  http://www.politicspa.com/oops-city-in-weiner-for-nyc-mayor-logo-is-pittsburgh/48273/
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #122 on: May 23, 2013, 03:35:37 PM »

Is that guy fifth from left Dr. Phil or a lookalike?
Benj

« Reply #123 on: May 23, 2013, 03:48:21 PM »

That's Joe Lhota, the former MTA Chairman and a Republican candidate. He does have something of a resemblance to Dr. Phil.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #124 on: May 23, 2013, 04:09:27 PM »

Andrew Cuomo and Charlie Rangel have some not-so-nice words for Weiner.

Leave it to Rangel to talk about people embroiled in scandal staying in politics. Roll Eyes
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies