NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:21:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31
Author Topic: NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio  (Read 73570 times)
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: May 23, 2013, 07:42:19 PM »

Cuomo is really a Republican pretending to be a Dem.  Sure Weiner has issues, but to openly bash a member of his own party like this over a non policy issue is just kind of ridiculous.

I guess he wanted to impeach Bill Clinton too and Ted Kennedy shouldn't have been a Senator?

In other news, the CWA and SEIU are backing De Blasio http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/nyregion/citys-largest-union-endorsing-de-blasio-for-mayor.html  http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election/communication-workers-america-endorses-bill-de-blasio-article-1.1351205?localLinksEnabled=false?pmSlide=0 as is the " Uptown Obama Democratic Club" http://www.nydailynews.com/news/election/deblasio-upper-manhattan-nod-article-1.1351537

I really hope he pulls off an upset, especially after Weiner flubbed the website skyline thing
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #126 on: May 23, 2013, 07:45:24 PM »

I don't support Quinn's candidacy for a whole mess of reasons; the deal with Bloomberg is just the most salient. Since we've fleshed out my views on Weiner at this point, why do you like Quinn?

She's progressive, she knows how to get things done, and she's got plenty of accomplishments as Council Speaker. There are some reasons why you might support someone else, and as a non resident of NYC I can't speak to those. But mostly I just think a lot of the sh**t she gets is exaggerated. And I really don't like Weiner and what he represents in the party.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

He sometimes knows how to put on a good show, but he's also his own worst enemy.

I think the fact she is racist, corrupt and a bully is not talked about enough, regardless of the fact she thumbed her nose at the actual voters on the term limits thing. 
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #127 on: May 23, 2013, 07:45:59 PM »

Puff piece on De Blasio here http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/22/nyregion/in-mayoral-race-de-blasios-focus-is-beyond-manhattan.html?pagewanted=1&ref=nyregion&_r=0
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #128 on: May 23, 2013, 08:34:34 PM »

Seems like a crop of really horrible candidates on the Dem side (with the GOP leaving a lot to be desired, too). Quinn is a Bloomberg twin which is an automatic disqualifier and Weiner is himself. I guess I'd dislike de Blasio the least. Liu's "downright hostile" feelings towards Bloomberg are good but it seems like he has some issues of his own.

And with this group, I guess it still isn't insane to think that the eventual Republican nominee could win. Remarkable.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #129 on: May 23, 2013, 08:38:09 PM »

Looks like a last minute jump in by Commissioner Kelly is getting a lot of buzz! - http://blogs.villagevoice.com/runninscared/2013/05/ray_kelly_polic_12.php
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2013, 10:47:23 AM »

Christine Quinn seems like she has serious anger-management issues from what I've read to the extent that I don't think she has the right temperament to be a good Mayor, if nothing else (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/26/nyregion/in-private-quinn-displays-a-volatile-side.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0).  She seems like a glorified bully and I honestly wouldn't be surprised if she's bipolar.  I don't know much about her issue positions, but it sounds like she's a Bloomberg ally. 

I never liked Anthony Weiner and occasionally forgot that he wasn't the host of some Ed Schultz-type show.  Anyway, I don't think I need to elaborate on why he'd be an awful Mayor, so I'll just leave you with this song about him by The Capitol Steps.
http://www.capsteps.com/sounds/weiner-itsybitsy.mp3

Liu has serious corruption issues and I don't think he has any path to the runoff (let alone victory).  Lhota seems like generic rich Republican dude and would get destroyed by any of the Democrats.  I'm not a fan of Kelly's record regarding civil-liberties, but we'll see if he even runs (he might, but I'll believe it when I see it).  My feelings about Thompson could best be described as "meh."  I guess that leaves Bill De Blasio.  I like that he beat Green and he's been good on campaign finance reform, but De Blasio is still only ever so slightly less "meh" than Thompson. 

As I was writing this post, I realized just how awful the field is for NYC Mayor.  The worst candidates are glorified bullies who seem to lack any self-control (Quinn, Weiner).  The best candidates (Thompson, De Blasio) almost make me wonder if "blah people" is a term for extremely boring candidates and not a clumsy attempt to cover up a blatantly racist statement.  I'm ending this post because thinking about this race is too painful.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #131 on: May 27, 2013, 12:03:54 AM »

Reading about how Weiner built his career on disgusting race baiting and then lied about only reinforces my hate for him. Anyone who thinks this guy is a 'progressive' is either stupid or just doesn't care.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #132 on: May 27, 2013, 12:23:28 AM »

Reading about how Weiner built his career on disgusting race baiting and then lied about only reinforces my hate for him. Anyone who thinks this guy is a 'progressive' is either stupid or just doesn't care.

Or just looks at him and thinks "Jon Stewart's friend."
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #133 on: May 27, 2013, 08:28:34 AM »

I don't like Weiner at all and totally believe that he's a dirty campaigner (just look at his antics in the House) but 75% of that article was sour grapes. "Oh, he'd go into the supermarket and campaign!" "But I might have been in Congress!" Ok, lady. Get over it.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #134 on: May 28, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

Weiner cuts margin to 5 points, says the new Marist poll:

Among registered Democrats in New York City, including those who are undecided yet leaning toward a candidate, if the Democratic primary were held today, here is how the contest would stand:

24% Christine Quinn
    19% Anthony Weiner
    12% Bill de Blasio
    11% Bill Thompson
      8% John Liu
      1% Sal Albanese
    <1% Erick Salgado
      1% Other
    23% Undecided

Among Democrats who are likely to vote in September’s primary, Quinn receives 24% followed by Weiner with 19%, de Blasio with 14%, Thompson with 13%, Liu with 8%, Albanese with 1%, and Salgado with less than 1%.  21% of likely Democrats are undecided.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/528-weiner-shows-gains-on-the-heels-of-candidacy-announcement
Marston
United States

« Reply #135 on: May 29, 2013, 07:33:08 AM »

What's so bad about Quinn. I mean, I understand that she may imitate some of Bloomberg's more authoritarian tendencies, but his policies have been good for NYC overall, haven't they? 
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #136 on: June 26, 2013, 04:17:11 PM »

Looks like Weiner's looking better to make his big comeback.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #137 on: June 27, 2013, 12:22:12 PM »

Everyone else better watch out, cause Wiener's coming!
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #138 on: June 28, 2013, 07:36:40 AM »

De Blasio is the best by a country mile.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #139 on: June 28, 2013, 08:25:51 AM »

Everyone else better watch out, cause Wiener's coming!

bro u guys r good
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #140 on: July 06, 2013, 02:38:24 PM »

Well I have to give the guy credit. Even the NY Times is now running a glowing article about how voters see him as "humble" and trying to accept the past. What else is he supposed to do? I may not see running for mayor of NYC as the epitome of humility, but I guess sometimes the voters' psychology just flies right past my head with no comprehension.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #141 on: July 06, 2013, 06:15:12 PM »

I can't imagine Weiner in an executive role. That requires actual competence and leadership skills (to be done well, at least).

People like him are better fit for legislative roles.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #142 on: July 06, 2013, 06:38:41 PM »

That's Joe Lhota, the former MTA Chairman and a Republican candidate. He does have something of a resemblance to Dr. Phil.

Who's the Paul LePage lookalike?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #143 on: July 06, 2013, 10:10:12 PM »

I'm voting for Weiner to stop Quinn. Quinn broke with Bloomberg a few too many times for my taste.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #144 on: July 06, 2013, 10:42:16 PM »

I'm voting for Weiner to stop Quinn. Quinn broke with Bloomberg a few too many times for my taste.

You're against Quinn because she broke with Bloomberg too many times? I thought the rap against her was she was too close to him. In any case, you don't have to vote for him unless he makes it into the runoff with Quinn. Personally I don't see what's so bad about Quinn.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #145 on: July 06, 2013, 10:49:59 PM »

Weiner is certainly going to have to fight through a long, hard campaign if he's to erect himself a large enough base of support.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #146 on: July 06, 2013, 11:15:22 PM »

You're against Quinn because she broke with Bloomberg too many times? I thought the rap against her was she was too close to him. In any case, you don't have to vote for him unless he makes it into the runoff with Quinn. Personally I don't see what's so bad about Quinn.

I like Bloomberg! Tongue But he supported building the West Side Stadium and Quinn was one of his leading opponents on that. New York could be hosting the Super Bowl this year if not for that. And I want Weiner to make the run off because I think he would have the best chance of defeating her- so technically I do "have" to vote for him. Not all candidates will be equal against Quinn. It'd be great to have a female mayor but Quinn isn't a good fit for me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #147 on: July 07, 2013, 12:19:09 PM »

I like Bloomberg! Tongue But he supported building the West Side Stadium and Quinn was one of his leading opponents on that. New York could be hosting the Super Bowl this year if not for that. And I want Weiner to make the run off because I think he would have the best chance of defeating her- so technically I do "have" to vote for him. Not all candidates will be equal against Quinn. It'd be great to have a female mayor but Quinn isn't a good fit for me.

You do realize that the Super Bowl is a magnet for child trafficking / underrage prostitution right? Do you really want that in NYC?
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #148 on: July 07, 2013, 01:44:46 PM »

It would be awesome if he really can overcome "photos of my dick were on the internet" thing.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #149 on: July 07, 2013, 01:46:54 PM »

I like Bloomberg, but the West Side Stadium was an awful idea.  Manhattan needs room for people and businesses, not for a stadium that will get used a couple dozen times a year and lay empty most of the time.  It makes far more sense for the Giants and Jets to share the Meadowlands, where they will use the facility more often, and you can actually put in parking without destroying the city's fabric.  And, well, the NYC metro already is hosting the Super Bowl.  (Note that this calculus is less relevant for arenas and baseball stadiums, which are used many more times each year.  Putting them downtown makes sense.  But football- and fútbol- stadiums really should be in the burbs.)

I seem to recall that the main draw of a West Side stadium was actually the Olympics, which for a city like NYC (that doesn't need the publicity and has inflated construction costs) would be nothing but a massive, irresponsible white elephant.

A football stadium in Manhattan is one of the very few development-related decisions on which Bloomy is in fact wrong.  Knowing that Quinn opposed it makes me more likely to support her- although it doesn't change the fact I'm not voting for her in the primary, but would certainly vote for her against Weiner.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies