NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:07:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 15 16 ... 31
Author Topic: NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio  (Read 73594 times)
PolitiJunkie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2013, 04:47:37 PM »

Can someone rank DiBlasio, Weiner, Thompson, and Quinn on a spectrum from most liberal to most centrist/moderate? Feel free to include Liu if you know enough about his ideology to do so.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:00 PM »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2013/08/14/ignore-anthony-weiner-heres-what-matters-in-the-nyc-mayors-race/?hpid=z9

Here's a write up about their respective positions, it doesn't include Liu (or Weiner).
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2013, 05:44:59 PM »

Can someone rank DiBlasio, Weiner, Thompson, and Quinn on a spectrum from most liberal to most centrist/moderate? Feel free to include Liu if you know enough about his ideology to do so.

All I know about Liu is he wants to legalize marijuana, and he has some campaign finance issues.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:06 PM »

I'd say your order's about right. Don't quite know where Liu stands.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2013, 11:18:58 PM »

Wow, this is pretty exciting! The most competent (and most liberal) candidate takes the lead!

My unscientific guesstimate:

1. de Blasio (He's reasonably far-left by mainstream American standards on most of the issues as far as I can tell; I especially like his animal rights positions.)

2. Liu (He's been a fierce critic of Bloomberg, don't know as much about him as the others though.)

3. Weiner (He used to be pretty liberal but does he still have political positions? He's always talking about or arguing over sexting/penis pictures when I see him now.)

4. Thompson (He's about as liberal as Weiner I guess. You could probably even flip them, whatever.)

5. Quinn (She's essentially a Bloomberg crony. She's a corporate Democrat and easily the worst of the bunch.)

traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #255 on: August 15, 2013, 12:00:02 AM »

Wow, this is pretty exciting! The most competent (and most liberal) candidate takes the lead!

1. de Blasio (He's reasonably far-left by mainstream American standards on most of the issues as far as I can tell; I especially like his animal rights positions.)

2. Liu (He's been a fierce critic of Bloomberg, don't know as much about him as the others though.)

3. Weiner (He used to be pretty liberal but does he still have political positions? He's always talking about or arguing over sexting/penis pictures when I see him now.)

4. Thompson (He's about as liberal as Weiner I guess. You could probably even flip them, whatever.)

5. Quinn (She's essentially a Bloomberg crony. She's a corporate Democrat and easily the worst of the bunch.)

Actually Liu is the worst of the bunch, on account of being a corrupt liar.  Liu and Weiner are the two candidates here that I would not vote for, no matter what.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2013, 12:08:31 AM »

Actually Liu is the worst of the bunch, on account of being a corrupt liar.  Liu and Weiner are the two candidates here that I would not vote for, no matter what.

Liu is terrible and corrupt.  But, he has been using a populist/liberal sales pitch in this primary race.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2013, 12:34:22 AM »

I'd still take Liu over Quinn any day.

So did any of you guys watch the debate? I haven't yet, here's a link to it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YELrE7BgkRk

Reactions/Analysis:

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/deblasio-nyc-debate-clear-winner-weiner-article-1.1426186

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2013/08/13/nyc-mayoral-debate-gets-ugly-between-weiner-quinn/

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/democrats-nyc-mayors-race-hold-key-debate-19943483

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/08/nyc-mayor-debate-anthony-weiner-95509.html

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/08/mayor-debate-weiner-quinn-de-blasio-new-york.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/14/nyregion/debating-live-on-tv-for-the-first-time-mayoral-rivals-take-aim-at-quinn.html
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2013, 12:45:07 AM »

Damn, de Blasio is tall.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #259 on: August 15, 2013, 01:03:07 AM »

If there is a De Blasio / Quinn runoff, they will need to give Quinn a stool or something.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #260 on: August 15, 2013, 03:59:58 AM »

Do you guys think de Blasio can beat Thompson in the runoff?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #261 on: August 15, 2013, 04:15:57 AM »

Do you guys think de Blasio can beat Thompson in the runoff?

Quinnipiac says yes.

And Quinnipiac was already right on the NJ primary just a few days ago.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #262 on: August 15, 2013, 11:43:47 AM »

I am glad that the contest is between folks experienced in city govt rather then simply a celebrity contest...
Stand With Israel. Crush Hamas
Ray Goldfield
Junior Chimp

« Reply #263 on: August 15, 2013, 12:23:44 PM »

Black voters just don't seem very interested in Thompson, and De Blasio's used his family so aggressively that I doubt Thompson will make up much more ground.

I'm thinking a De Blasio/Quinn run-off, followed by a very competitive Lhota/De Blasio general election. Lhota will pick up a LOT of Quinn supporters.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #264 on: August 15, 2013, 08:42:25 PM »

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887324139404579014934170825144.html?mod=WSJ_NY_MIDDLELEADNewsCollection

The new Marist poll (Taken on behalf of the WSJ and NBC) essentially confirms Quinnipac's findings. From their previous poll, Quinn is down 2 and de Blasio is up 7.

Bill de Blasio - 24%
Christine Quinn - 24%
Bill Thompson - 18%
Anthony Weiner - 11%
John Liu - 5%

de Blasio's surge is partially due to black support, as he has moved from 10% support to 20% support among African-Americans with Thompson taking the majority of the rest.

de Blasio beats Quinn in a runoff 44-42, Thompson 44-36. Thompson also beats Quinn 44-43.

And because people forget that the Republicans ARE trying to win this: Joe Lhota is dominating the Republican primary and will likely be the nominee.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #265 on: August 15, 2013, 10:03:06 PM »

Excellent. Let's ride this de Blasiomentum to the finish line!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #266 on: August 16, 2013, 02:20:08 PM »

And because people forget that the Republicans ARE trying to win this: Joe Lhota is dominating the Republican primary and will likely be the nominee.

Quinnipiac's latest poll disagrees:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Problem:

"The survey includes 101 New York City likely Republican Primary Voters with a margin of error of +/- 9.8 percentage points."

Tongue
Mr.Phips
Junior Chimp

« Reply #267 on: August 16, 2013, 08:05:00 PM »

Black voters just don't seem very interested in Thompson, and De Blasio's used his family so aggressively that I doubt Thompson will make up much more ground.

I'm thinking a De Blasio/Quinn run-off, followed by a very competitive Lhota/De Blasio general election. Lhota will pick up a LOT of Quinn supporters.

No Republican who isn't either Rudy Giuliani or Mike Bloomberg is going to get more than 40% in citywide in NYC.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #268 on: August 17, 2013, 02:36:53 AM »

So Stringer seems dead in the water now, huh? The blacks love Spitzer.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #269 on: August 19, 2013, 02:27:00 PM »

Long New Yorker feature on Bloomberg's legacy.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #270 on: August 19, 2013, 11:35:18 PM »

On second thought, I would say Liu is the most far left candidate in the race.  At least, he seems to be getting the support of the far left elements in the city.  Charles Barron endorsed him and many of the anti-white/Nation of Islam types that supported Barron in my neighborhood support Liu. 
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #271 on: August 21, 2013, 06:55:16 PM »

debates currently happening: http://gothamist.com/2013/08/21/watch_nyc_democratic_mayoral_hopefu.php

quinn is on THE ATTACK

so is Thompson

everyone hates de blasio Sad
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #272 on: August 21, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »

quinn and thompson joining together to attack de blasio

wtf
Lief 🗽
Lief