NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:58:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31
Author Topic: NYC'13: Congrats to Mayor de Blasio  (Read 73599 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #75 on: April 17, 2013, 02:30:02 AM »

Weiner wouldn't change things that much:

Among registered Democrats in New York City, including those who are undecided yet leaning toward a candidate, if the Democratic primary were held today, here is how the contest would stand with Anthony Weiner in the race:

26% Christine Quinn
    15% Anthony Weiner
    12% John Liu
    11% Bill de Blasio
    11% Bill Thompson
     2% Sal Albanese
     1% Other
    22% Undecided

Among registered Democrats in New York City including those who are undecided yet leaning toward a candidate, if the Democratic primary were held today, here is how the contest would stand without Anthony Weiner in the race:

30% Christine Quinn
    15% Bill de Blasio
    14% Bill Thompson
    11% John Liu
      2% Sal Albanese
      2% Other
    26% Undecided

Quinn Outdistances Lhota…Weiner Also Has Advantage Over GOP Hopeful

Looking ahead to the general election, Christine Quinn gets the nod from a majority of voters citywide against Republican Joe Lhota.  Quinn has the support of 59% compared with 19% for Lhota.  21% of registered voters are undecided.  In February, 64% of voters backed Quinn while 18% supported Lhota.  18% were also undecided.

How does Anthony Weiner fare against Lhota?  Weiner – 51% — leads Lhota – 28% — among registered voters in New York City.  21% are undecided.

http://maristpoll.marist.edu/416-weiner-candidacy-for-mayor-could-scramble-democratic-primary-contest
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #76 on: April 17, 2013, 04:06:23 AM »

Good lord, Quinn would just be awful. I'd rather the guy who posts pictures of his cock on the internet win.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #77 on: April 17, 2013, 07:46:33 AM »

What's the Republican side looking like?
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #78 on: April 20, 2013, 09:46:18 AM »

Weiner's ties with Schumer and Clintonworld.

http://dyn.politico.com/printstory.cfm?uuid=131758E9-E042-4339-B879-EF51BEF61C9D
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #79 on: April 20, 2013, 10:40:03 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/online-effort-quash-christine-quinn-mayoral-aspirations-article-1.1316224

I don't see how any politician can win in the face of such frenzied loathing. It seems like more than just what would be generated by voting to extend term limits, or becoming a more mainstream, centrist politician. Look at those comments, too

"She and her wife can go crusade for homosexual marriage when she is defeated."

"For the sake of our children, who will be forced to digest school lessons on deviant sex, she must be stopped."

"Many New Yorkers, including this registered democrat will vote for the Republican candidate instead of a woman who should have been investigated more thoroughly, indicted and imprisoned."

"I didn't know Rosie O'donnell was seeking the mayor's seat."

"Many people find it hard to see a woman as a bully but that's exactly how she has handled City Council members who have opposed her. It's time to say goodbye to both Bloomberg & Quinn."

"Christine Quinn is Michael Bloomberg in a skirt, she is in office to serve one person only, herself."

"She could find a cure for cancer and I still wouldn't vote for her because of that term limits issue"

I don't care what the polls day, this woman isn't winning sh_t.
Benj

« Reply #80 on: April 20, 2013, 08:00:41 PM »

Please, Beet, continue to enlighten us ignoramuses through your information about this election apparently solely derived from online commenters to the Daily News.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #81 on: April 20, 2013, 09:15:42 PM »

I think those comments make me think more favorably of Quinn, tbh.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #82 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:24 PM »

I don't live in New York City, obviously, but same here.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #83 on: April 20, 2013, 11:11:27 PM »

Please, Beet, continue to enlighten us ignoramuses through your information about this election apparently solely derived from online commenters to the Daily News.

Reading online comments are what allowed me to see the Tea Party coming as early as November 2008. If you read the online comments from early 2008 in the Democratic primary (pre-February), it was actually a good indication of the Obama surge that month coming. The thing with online comments is that they can be an indication of where the passion is in the race, and an indication of what those who are following it more closely are thinking. These passionate and informed people also, often, have a tendency to set the narrative of a campaign. And the narrative, in turn, then influences lower-information and more persuadable voters (not to mention, journalists!)

In this case though, my post wasn't *solely* deriving from online comments. If you noticed, I led with the story from the Daily News itself, which supports the same narrative as the online comments do.

The polls, while still showing Quinn ahead, shows big increases in her negatives and drops in her top-line numbers. I'm not the type of guy who doesn't believe in polls (re: the whole 'unskewed' debate), but polls are just numbers. There also is a story that goes along with those numbers. If you look not just at the number, but try to look at the story behind it, you'll get a better understanding of things. Quinn reminds me a lot of Hillary Clinton in early 2008. An early (but not prohibitive) female frontrunner, who was an activist early in her career but became more mainstream as she gained success; an accusation of being a lackey for a more powerful man who helped her career; accusations of being selfish and manipulative; an extremely passionate opposition coming from the left, and a similar tone in online comments. Only there's no Barack Obama in this race.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #84 on: April 20, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »

I don't live in New York City, obviously, but same here.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #85 on: April 24, 2013, 09:59:51 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2013, 10:15:31 PM by cinyc »

Anthony Weiner must have granted interviews with every local TV station today, laying the groundwork for a run for mayor.  It looks like he's in.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #86 on: April 24, 2013, 10:13:21 PM »

Weiner doesn't know if there are other junk photos floating around and if more women will come forward. ROFLMAO.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/04/anthony-weiner-cant-say-if-other-pics-exist-90576.html?hp=r6
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #87 on: April 24, 2013, 10:25:29 PM »

In huge news, Jimmy McMillan will be running as the Rent Is Too Damn High candidate.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #88 on: April 24, 2013, 11:07:14 PM »

Ugh, I don't like the prospect of Weiner entering the race at all.  He's going to suck up way too much oxygen, and his transportation plan is pitifully bad.

I'll admit there's a tiny part of me that wants to see McMillan break out into legit double digits.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #89 on: April 24, 2013, 11:08:32 PM »

In huge news, Jimmy McMillan will be running as the Rent Is Too Damn High candidate.

I hereby endorse Jimmy McMillan. He's the most serious candidate of the bunch Tongue
Warren 4 Secretary of Everything
Clinton1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -4.70

« Reply #90 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:51 PM »

I hereby endorse Jimmy McMillan. He's the most serious candidate of the bunch Tongue
Ditto RITDH Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHEitsYJnmw
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #91 on: April 25, 2013, 07:10:52 PM »

Ditto RITDH Anthem
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHEitsYJnmw

Officially endorsed.
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #92 on: April 26, 2013, 07:42:15 PM »

I agree.

Quinn is seriously terrible though, she's an authoritarian liberal of the worst kind, and probably even worse than Bloomberg.  Hates unions, supports privatized education, racial profiling, civil liberties violations, soda bans, raising the smoking age (quite unconstitutional and absurdly controlling).

The G&L victory fund should really be ashamed of backing her so strongly, would think even as an LGBT political action group they would have enough of a head on their shoulders to realize a bad candidate when they see one, regardless of orientation.

The LGBT community itself seems to realize Quinn isn't that great, and her voters are probably going to be Republican leaning anyway.

Same with the Emily's list type of groups.. she's female but her policies are plain wrong.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #93 on: April 27, 2013, 11:40:37 PM »

I agree.

Quinn is seriously terrible though, she's an authoritarian liberal of the worst kind, and probably even worse than Bloomberg.  Hates unions, supports privatized education, racial profiling, civil liberties violations, soda bans, raising the smoking age (quite unconstitutional and absurdly controlling).

The G&L victory fund should really be ashamed of backing her so strongly, would think even as an LGBT political action group they would have enough of a head on their shoulders to realize a bad candidate when they see one, regardless of orientation.

The LGBT community itself seems to realize Quinn isn't that great, and her voters are probably going to be Republican leaning anyway.

Same with the Emily's list type of groups.. she's female but her policies are plain wrong.

I wouldn't say she hates unions.  The truth is that a lot of the unions in New York state are terrible and they're obviously self-interested.  A politician needs to clash with unions sometimes or else they're a complete hack. 

It will be interesting to see who the unions endorse in this race.  Some of the major unions have been known to endorse crazy people just for spite.  It's quite a political culture we have here in New York. 
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #94 on: April 27, 2013, 11:58:46 PM »

I agree.

I wouldn't say she hates unions.  The truth is that a lot of the unions in New York state are terrible and they're obviously self-interested.  A politician needs to clash with unions sometimes or else they're a complete hack. 

It will be interesting to see who the unions endorse in this race.  Some of the major unions have been known to endorse crazy people just for spite.  It's quite a political culture we have here in New York. 

Yeah, the behavior of the TWU has definitely hurt the state of mass transit in the city, and forced me to conclude that no, we can't just defend unions because they're unions; the public interest requires a more nuanced approach.

(They're not the only villains, certainly, and they're not as bad as coal, but they've definitely pushed against a lot of things we should be doing, and for some things we shouldn't.)
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #95 on: April 28, 2013, 12:42:45 AM »

Maybe Quinn can get the City to give every city employee $1000 or an ipad or something a few days before the election.  That would smooth things over.

The sad part is that happens sometimes.   
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #96 on: May 14, 2013, 09:41:58 PM »

Weiner has a campaign manager and will likely announce next week.
Benj

« Reply #97 on: May 14, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »
« Edited: May 14, 2013, 10:01:22 PM by Benj »

I agree.

Quinn is seriously terrible though, she's an authoritarian liberal of the worst kind, and probably even worse than Bloomberg.  Hates unions, supports privatized education, racial profiling, civil liberties violations, soda bans, raising the smoking age (quite unconstitutional and absurdly controlling).

I wouldn't say she hates unions.  The truth is that a lot of the unions in New York state are terrible and they're obviously self-interested.  A politician needs to clash with unions sometimes or else they're a complete hack.  

It will be interesting to see who the unions endorse in this race.  Some of the major unions have been known to endorse crazy people just for spite.  It's quite a political culture we have here in New York.  

John Liu, corrupt scum that he is, seems to have many of the unions lined up behind him. Quinn will get a few just because she is the favorite (certainly the ones that endorsed Bloomberg in 2009). De Blasio may get some as well, but Liu has to be a lot more appealing to most of the union leaders. Liu knows who pays his bills, but de Blasio is less predictable.
publicunofficial
angryGreatness
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #98 on: May 17, 2013, 10:42:11 AM »

Weiner has been spotted filming a campaign ad. He's in.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/Anthony-Weiner-Campaign-Video-Mayor-Run-Park-Slope-Stoop-Brooklyn-207747711.html
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #99 on: May 22, 2013, 07:27:02 AM »

Quinn drops to 25%, Weiner is already second with 15%.

http://www.quinnipiac.edu/institutes-and-centers/polling-institute/new-york-city/release-detail?ReleaseID=1894

2013 looks to be the year when then wife-cheaters return ... Tongue
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 31  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies