Santorum: 'I'm open' to 2016 bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:41:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Santorum: 'I'm open' to 2016 bid
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Santorum: 'I'm open' to 2016 bid  (Read 1588 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2012, 02:10:49 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
CNN

A Christie/Santorum battle could be very interesting.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2012, 02:19:54 PM »

I think Santorum is the favorite at this point, although there's not much point in handicapping the race so early. He was the strongest challenger last time, and the GOP usually goes with that. And the conservatives will demand one of their own.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2012, 02:25:24 PM »

I think Santorum is the favorite at this point, although there's not much point in handicapping the race so early. He was the strongest challenger last time, and the GOP usually goes with that. And the conservatives will demand one of their own.

No he's not. He's like Pat Buchanan, a social conservative reactionary to be the anti-establishment candidate (even though Santorum is VERY establishment in his non-social views). He's in a distant fourth or fifth right now behind Christie, Rubio, Bush, and even Ryan.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2012, 03:24:21 PM »

No he's not. He's like Pat Buchanan, a social conservative reactionary to be the anti-establishment candidate (even though Santorum is VERY establishment in his non-social views). He's in a distant fourth or fifth right now behind Christie, Rubio, Bush, and even Ryan.
Agreed. Santorum will not be the nominee, should he run in 2016.
Penelope
Scifiguy
United States

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

Remember when Pat Buchanan was a US Senator for 20 years?
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2012, 04:04:19 PM »

Remember when Pat Buchanan was a US Senator for 12 years?

Remember when McCain or Bush Jr. or Bush Sr. or Reagan got beat for re-election by nearly 17 points?
Reluctant Republican

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2012, 04:41:56 PM »

I think he'll do pretty well. He has a specific part of the GOP who he is one of.  I suspect that he'll be the only one unhesitant to speak about social issues. Can you imagine Rubio or Christie or Ryan talking for length about the importance of morals and the family and being able to sound earnest and sincere about it? He knows how to connect with some very important voting blocks in the Republican party, and if he's the only "proud social conservative" that runs, that might be all he needs.  At the very least he'll start off stronger than he did in 2012, and he'll probably have more money. I suspect he's going to run nonstop for the next 4 years, and the other big names don't have that luxury. If he's smart now will be the time he uses to build up his organization and get local officials on his side.

Now that being said, can I see him winning the nomination? Yes, but I don't find it likely. The GOP establishment would freak out if he had  a serious shot and probably try to Gingrich him. They do not want a man whose been out of office for 10 years on the ticket, especially when they have some big names lined up that are already being trumpeted as the future of the GOP.  If Santorum wins a few contests, look for the party to rally around a single candidate and do everything they can to help him. How successful they are depends on how successful the Republicans become at controlling their grassroots and directing their energy to their approved candidates.
paul718
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2012, 11:23:19 PM »

My opinion:  He's definitely running.  He definitely WON'T be the nominee.

I think Gingrich was stronger.  Regardless, the "next in line" pattern that Republicans like to follow doesn't always mean whoever finished 2nd in the previous election's primaries.  It can be the previous VP nominee (Ryan) or maybe the candidate people wanted last time but declined to jump in (Christie, Rubio, J. Bush). 

2016 will be unique though and the GOP primary voters may break with habit.  '08 we could blame on the economic collapse and Bush's unpopularity, but 2012 was a gut-check.  We might find ourselves in a situation similar to the 1964 primary battle.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2012, 11:44:02 AM »

Yes, of course the front runner is open to a run, sillies.

I'd cry during a Santorum-Christie battle. It would really eat away at me. But, if the fight was strictly between those two at the end, I'd be thrilled to know that one of these great men would be the nominee.

Remember when McCain or Bush Jr. or Bush Sr. or Reagan got beat for re-election by nearly 17 points?

Yes, that obviously negates his fourteen years in Congress. He loses all legitimacy because he lost in a landslide during a very bad year. Remember how that was going to keep him from moving past Ames during the last campaign?
Unimog
Namibia

Political Matrix
E: -3.00, S: -2.00

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2012, 02:27:13 PM »

If i were a republican and it comes down to Santorum and Christie, I'd prefer Christie for sure.

Both of them won't get the nomination. The GOP needs to pick a stronger candidate next time.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2012, 04:01:36 PM »

Yes, of course the front runner is open to a run, sillies.

I'd cry during a Santorum-Christie battle. It would really eat away at me. But, if the fight was strictly between those two at the end, I'd be thrilled to know that one of these great men would be the nominee.

Yes, that obviously negates his fourteen years in Congress. He loses all legitimacy because he lost in a landslide during a very bad year. Remember how that was going to keep him from moving past Ames during the last campaign?

He was constantly polling at 1-2% until the last couple of weeks before Iowa because he wasn't considered legitimate because of that landslide loss. He only gained that momentum because there needed to be an Anti-Romney candidate. With Bachmann gone, Perry gone, Cain gone, and Gingrich fading, Santorum was next up.

There won't be a line-up that incompetent so Santorum won't be the front-runner for the 2016 nomination. If there is a bad line-up however, Santorum could take it this year if social conservatives manage to turn-out harder against Christie than they were Romney, which is hard to imagine.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2012, 04:09:13 PM »

Don't want to compare, but Bush Sr. actually lost two Senate elections in row and not by a hair.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2012, 04:17:34 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2012, 04:21:46 PM by Maxwell »

Don't want to compare, but Bush Sr. actually lost two Senate elections in row and not by a hair.

While that is true, he was also Vice President for 8 years and thats what people most remembered about his experience. Now if people don't remember Santorum the senator but remember Santorum the 2012 candidate who almost took Romney's nomination (by proxy of him being the Anti-Romney, of course), then its not impossible that he could be, at least, the frontrunner for a while. Not sure how long that will last, but I'm sure he wouldn't make it to the nomination.

But yes that is an error, and I'm a hack for making it.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2012, 06:45:11 PM »

He'll definitely run and win a few primaries before coming in 2nd or 3rd to some establishment guy like Christie.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2012, 11:05:46 PM »

This time two years ago we would have never thought that Santorum would win Iowa...just sayin...
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2012, 11:57:44 PM »

This time two years ago we would have never thought that Santorum would win Iowa...just sayin...

Some people will never learn, my friend.
Cobbler
United States

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2012, 07:03:17 AM »

I wouldn't vote for him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2012, 01:24:40 PM »

Some people will never learn, my friend.

Same thing happened to Mike Huckabee. I think the anti-establishment social conservative candidate baton will be passed to Jindal or someone of the like.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2012, 02:25:04 PM »

Santorum's main opponents in 2012 were Mitt Romney, Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul.

In 2016, his main opponents would be Chris Christie, Marco Rubio, Paul Ryan, Jeb Bush, etc.

Unless they all hilariously implode like Perry, Gingrich, Bachmann and Cain all did, Santorum would be, at best, a second-tier candidate.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2012, 02:39:21 PM »
« Edited: November 29, 2012, 02:52:19 PM by Keystone Phil »

We are four years away, guys. With the likely candidates, yes, he will have difficulty breaking through (if he even runs) but we are a mighty long way off. We don't know what could happen. Whose to say some of the above names are definitely running? Here's what we do know: Santorum can surprise and, contrary to what many would like, he does have a following. If the "newer" guys/girls find themselves mauling each other, whose to say the party doesn't turn to the experienced "next in line?"

Let's cool it with the definitive statements on all sides of the 2016 primary.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »

We are four years away, guys. With the likely candidates, yes, he will have difficulty breaking through (if he even runs) but we are a mighty long way off. We don't know what could happen. Whose to say some kg the above names are definitely running? Here's what we do know: Santorum can surprise and, contrary to what many would like, he does have a following. If the "newer" guys/girls find themselves mauling each other, whose to say the party doesn't turn to the experienced "next in line?"

Let's cool it with the definitive statements on all sides of the 2016 primary.

I can see where you're coming from, because back in 08, Republicans DEFINITELY didin't want Mitt Romney to be next up, so Ensign, Sanford, and Jindal were front-runners until they got caught in scandals/really bad speeches. I could see that happen to some of the people on the Republican bench (particularly Marco Rubio, who already has some ethics issues in his background ANYWAY), so Santorum could be the next in line after all.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies