SENATE BILL: Atlasian Institute of Teachers Act (Law'd) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:54:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  SENATE BILL: Atlasian Institute of Teachers Act (Law'd) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: SENATE BILL: Atlasian Institute of Teachers Act (Law'd)  (Read 4150 times)
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« on: November 28, 2012, 09:44:26 PM »

Sadly, the quality of our teachers in Atlasia has been lacking in recent decades. Less than 20% of all teachers today rank in the top third of their graduating classes. The majority of ours come from the bottom third. In contrast, those countries that preform well draw their teachers from the top 10% of their class. In Singapore, one out of every eight applicants for a teaching position are accepted. Why can't we be one of those countries?

In some cases, we are. In New York, the Teaching Fellows program has submits teachers to rigorous training and selection- one out of ten are accepted. A full 15-20% of Ivy League students now go into Teach for Atlasia, and some 2/3rds stay in the profession. These are great steps forward, and we should implement them on a wider scale. We need a professional teaching force. It is for that for that reason I am proposing the AIT Act.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2012, 12:43:01 AM »

I am pending a decision on the amendment.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:11 PM »

I object to the Amendment. I would like to Amend the bill to strike the line "but its President shall be appointed by the President of the Republic of Atlasia subject to Senate confirmation" entirely. Hopefully that will reduce concerns over government control and ensure the AIT is a more professional and independent organization.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 10:03:19 AM »

I object to the Amendment. I would like to Amend the bill to strike the line "but its President shall be appointed by the President of the Republic of Atlasia subject to Senate confirmation" entirely. Hopefully that will reduce concerns over government control and ensure the AIT is a more professional and independent organization.

Will you be officially offering that soon?

I am officially offering that.

Nay on the amendment.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 01:09:35 PM »

I agree with the president. IRL, I would suggest that appointing the organization's president be delegated to the Secretary of Education. The in-game analogue would be ffairs.

I would propose an amendment, but I am not sure that I can support a bill that calls for such drastic federal involvement in education. However, I am in favor of pursuing this legislation at the regional level.

Perhaps you could give us some proposals for the clause where it is said the AIT should work with regional authorities?

Thank you Senator.

I actually hadn't seen your suggestion, but I'm very glad we agree here

Sen. Hagrid, I would like to point out that the exam is designed to pass 75% of testakers,  that is, the curve would be designed to do that. It's not a hard and fast limit. Do you think it should be worded differently?

Others, what are your overall thoughts on this bill?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2012, 12:58:03 AM »

Wait are we voting upon the bill already?Huh
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2012, 12:59:41 AM »

Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2012, 11:34:52 AM »

Nay?

My amendment is friendly, of course.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »

Why?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:31:57 PM »

I'm hearing that opposition exists to this bill, but I'm not hearing that opposition articulated- why do some of you oppose this bill?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 07:02:28 PM »

I have no problem with it sans the funding mechanisms- perhaps they're perhaps a little too steep? Otherwise I fully approve.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2012, 01:20:23 AM »

I'd be all for lowering both the test fee and membership fee to both $50- though I, again, am somewhat wary of involuntary "membership dues".

I initially modeled the AIT on the American Atlasian Institute of Architects, thought I suppose your  Ontario College of Teachers is a better comparison really. The test should be self-sustaining, that is, the cost of it should be covered by the fee, and any dues should go to administrative costs, and I have no idea how much of those are needed. I'm personally fine with leaving those unspecified and to the AIT itself to determine.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2012, 06:42:36 PM »

I'd say so.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2012, 10:17:49 PM »

Emergency trip to Buffalo? How exciting!

Friendly.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2012, 12:56:29 AM »

DOES ANYONE OBJECT TO THE BILL, OR SHALL I GO TO SLEEP EXPECTING THIS TO PASS!?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2012, 11:58:40 PM »

AYE!
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »

What is done here is essentially what's done in real life in Ontario. Oh, the horror! Teacher-candidates have to pay to join a stupid little club! If that's your reasoning, I hope you'll be vetoing Senator Showstalker's recent bill too.

And for doctors. And for lawyers. And for architects. And for stock brokers. And for plumbers. And for electricians. I suppose the president and Mr. X would like to eliminate examinations and professional organizations for those professions as well. It would only be consistent.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2012, 12:10:01 AM »

What is done here is essentially what's done in real life in Ontario. Oh, the horror! Teacher-candidates have to pay to join a stupid little club! If that's your reasoning, I hope you'll be vetoing Senator Showstalker's recent bill too.

And for doctors. And for lawyers. And for architects. And for stock brokers. And for plumbers. And for electricians. I suppose the president and Mr. X would like to eliminate examinations and professional organizations for those professions as well. It would only be consistent.

Actually, my objection was unrelated to the "special club" aspect.  I never saw any reason to oppose it on those grounds.  Tbh, I think I misunderstood a certain section of the bill and would support this bill due to the absence of the issue created by the aforementioned misunderstanding.

May the honorable gentleman please be less cryptic?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2012, 01:30:42 AM »

Your classist arguments aside (being totally invalid, plumbers, electricians, or doctors not being capitalists), why, again did you not bring this up earlier?
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies