Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:06:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Former President George H.W. Bush hospitalized  (Read 5779 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2012, 12:24:16 PM »

It's amazing Jimmy Carter, who is about the same age as George H. W. Bush, is in such good shape comparatively speaking.
Talleyrand
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2012, 12:32:50 PM »

It's amazing Jimmy Carter, who is about the same age as George H. W. Bush, is in such good shape comparatively speaking.

He doesn't have Parkinson's. They were both in pretty good shape before President Bush was diagnosed with the disease.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2012, 12:37:22 PM »

He doesn't have Parkinson's. They were both in pretty good shape before President Bush was diagnosed with the disease.

Carter has had problems with hemorrhoids ever since he was a submarine officer in WW2, and his family has a history with pancreatic cancer. 
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2012, 12:43:21 PM »

Carter has had problems with hemorrhoids ever since he was a submarine officer in WW2, and his family has a history with pancreatic cancer.  

I didn't know he had been a submarine officer in World War II. That's fascinating.

I was aware of the pancreatic cancer issue, but I don't think he's had any issues with malignant tumors in his lifetime, right? And his hemorrhoid issue hasn't disrupted his lifestyle significantly, right?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2012, 12:55:03 PM »

I didn't know he had been a submarine officer in World War II. That's fascinating.

Yes, and he loved it so much that I believe he fully intended to have a lifelong career in the U.S. Navy until his father (a peanut farmer) died in 1953.    

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's why I said it was so amazing that Carter is in such a good shape as he is given his health history.  At least for now.......  
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2012, 12:59:06 PM »

Yes, and he loved it so much that I believe he fully intended to have a lifelong career in the U.S. Navy until his father (a peanut farmer) died in 1953.    

You must be logged in to read this quote.

That's why I said it was so amazing that Carter is in such a good shape as he is given his health history.  At least for now.......  
[/quote]

I hope they both maintain their health for some more time. To surpass Ford, Bush would have to live until at least November 25, 2017 and Carter to March 14, 2018.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2012, 12:49:45 AM »

I don't think anyone wishes for the death of either of these men, but in all likelihood Carter will probably outlive Bush. The irony is that Bush always seemed to take great pains to exercise and live an active life (he played tennis rather than golf as president; regularly went running and sailing; went skydiving on his birthday up until a few years ago), while I don't recall Carter as being much of a sportsman.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2012, 06:01:12 AM »

Hope he pulls through.

Mandela and Thatcher are both in hospital at the moment too.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2012, 08:04:14 AM »

Incorrect. Carter became a submarine officer after the war and at first he served on surface ships. He did not graduate from Naval Academy until after WWII ended so he never saw combat.

As of career choice you're right, though. I read he dreamed of becoming Chief of Naval Operations before his father's death prompted him to resign his commision.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2012, 07:22:41 PM »

He's now in intensive care but still alert and talking to family and medical staff.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/26/us-usa-bush-idUSBRE8BM08N20121226
Niemeyerite
JulioMadrid
Junior Chimp
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -9.04

« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2012, 08:42:42 PM »

I hope he recovers from this, I really do. But he's very old and he's had a great life, so maybe it's time to go Sad .

Mejórese, hombre Wink
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2012, 08:45:42 PM »

It's unfortunate this had to happen at Christmas.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2012, 09:18:28 PM »

I hate to say this, but I fear this might be it.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2012, 09:37:23 PM »

Not good news at all.  He will be in my prayers.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2012, 10:02:35 PM »

Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #40 on: December 27, 2012, 12:04:26 AM »

I really hope he pulls through. It would be horrible to lose a statesman of his stature and personal honor. Sad
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2012, 01:13:40 AM »

Sad I read about this at work. I drove on the highway named after him on my way home.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2012, 01:21:47 AM »

He might not make it to 20 years as an ex President. He just beat Truman, though.
Oswald Acted Alone, You Kook
The Obamanation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2012, 02:26:52 AM »

He might not make it to 20 years as an ex President. He just beat Truman, though.

No, Bush still needs another month (which he will most likely not live to see.) before he can beat Truman.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2012, 08:38:20 AM »

It does seem to be a frightening condition. I do hope he gets well.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2012, 09:01:43 AM »

It's refreshing to see posters of all political positions wish him well.  Good President or not, he's a good man....get well!
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 09:03:37 AM »

It's refreshing to see posters of all political positions wish him well.  Good President or not, he's a good man....get well!

Yeah
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #47 on: December 27, 2012, 02:00:51 PM »

Indeed.  I'm afraid he's probably a gonner, but I'm not putting it past my God to heal him back to full health.  He is the Great Physician and He can bring him home from the hospital if he wants and give Dubya a father figure for a little while longer.  I believe Senior Bush to be a believer so from my perspective, he will be healed one way or the other.  If he passes, he will be healed permanently.  If he lives, he will be healed temporarily.  That said, I do hope for Barbara's sake as well as 43, Jeb, and all the grandkids that 41 comes home soon!
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #48 on: December 27, 2012, 11:03:10 PM »

I really feel sorry for Barbara Bush; she has been with him for nearly 70 years. She is a very outspoken woman, and very interesting to listen to, so I hope the potential death of her husband won't force her into retiring from public appearances.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #49 on: December 29, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »

I read an article yesterday that said 41 fully plans on coming home, but doesn't want to rush getting out of the hospital.  He jokingly told the doctors to tell everyone to put the harps back in the closet, he's not finished, yet.  Of course no one knows when his time is, but he is still in remarkably good spirits and it seems as if the ICU trip was just a precautionary measure so the doctors can keep a closer eye on him. I'm beginning to think he'll survive this trip and we won't be planning a Presidential Funeral in the near future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies