ROC or PRC?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:11:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  ROC or PRC?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ROC or PRC
Republic of China/Taiwan

Peoples Republic Of China

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 43

Author Topic: ROC or PRC?  (Read 1713 times)
Supermariobros
Rookie
Hong Kong
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 01, 2012, 09:16:35 PM »

Which would you like to be reconized as the official China?.

For me Republic of China/Taiwan.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »

PRC for historical reasons but it makes admittedly no (or negative) difference now.
Pingvin
Pingvin99
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2012, 03:58:46 AM »

Obliviously ROC.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2012, 06:25:08 AM »

Oh goody, we get to see which posters are in one of their "rebel" phases.

"hey man, this isn't a phase, I've been thinking this way for months!"
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2012, 06:39:36 AM »

I'd prefer both get full seats in the UN and the international community as separate nations, but the official seat of China has to belong to the PRC. I hate China's government as much as the next person, but we're not going to like every government in existence (and I am a very strong support of the Chinese democracy movement).
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2012, 08:26:32 AM »

They should be recognized as two different countries, like DPRK & ROK.
SPC
Chuck Hagel 08
Atlas Icon
Latvia

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 04:21:59 PM »

Freudian slip?
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 05:22:31 PM »

They should be recognized as two different countries, like DPRK & ROK.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 11:35:46 PM »

I want the PRC overthrown, but recognizing the ROC is patently absurd, and it would quickly backfire to benefit the PRC.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2012, 12:47:48 AM »

The one that actually controls China, obviously.

Yeah, let's recognize an exile government on a tiny island that has literally no control over the Chinese mainland territory or its billion plus citizens instead, that's a great idea! No, it's a stupid, nonsense idea.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2012, 12:57:41 AM »

This sounds like a nice idea, but there's still the issue of which would get the permanent seat on the security council.

Anyway, if one must be picked, then the PRC is the only logical choice.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2012, 01:25:10 AM »

I find it hilarious that the PRC is fine with the ROC pretending to be the legit Chinese gov't, but the second they say they are Taiwan all hell will break loose.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2012, 01:28:49 AM »

Yeah, let's recognize an exile government on a tiny island that has literally no control over the Chinese mainland territory or its billion plus citizens instead, that's a great idea! No, it's a stupid, nonsense idea.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2012, 01:33:38 AM »

I find it hilarious that the PRC is fine with the ROC pretending to be the legit Chinese gov't, but the second they say they are Taiwan all hell will break loose.

The PRC wants the ROC to claim all of them or else. Pretty funny. They are currently on better terms now than some realize.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2012, 03:03:57 AM »

The PRC wants the ROC to claim all of them or else. Pretty funny. They are currently on better terms now than some realize.

I think their logic is, at least as long as they pretend to be the real China, then hopes of unification are kept alive, but to declare themselves Taiwan kills those dreams.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2012, 04:15:53 AM »

I think their logic is, at least as long as they pretend to be the real China, then hopes of unification are kept alive, but to declare themselves Taiwan kills those dreams.
Yeah - both governments agree that China is one country, agree on its overall boundaries. This is important to a traditional school of thought.

What I particularly love is that all the international sporting bodies call Taiwan "Chinese Taipeh", shortened from "Chinese [Sport X] Association, Taipeh" or similar.

The only at least somewhat easy resolution to the issue that I can see is one where Taiwan (+ those islands off the Chinese coast) remains a sovereign country in practice but agrees to be de jure a self-governing part of the PRC like Hongkong.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2012, 08:37:18 AM »

Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2012, 10:01:32 AM »

I would prefer them to be recognised as the seperate and self-governing countries they actually are. But since neither of them seems to want to live in reality, that's their choice I guess.

As for the UN's permanent security council seat... well the permanent seats should be abolished, but until they are the PRC has more right to the seat than Taiwan obviously.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2012, 11:50:46 AM »

Taiwan. But for Security council reasons, obviously, PRC (as much as i hate too say it)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »

Yeah - both governments agree that China is one country, agree on its overall boundaries. This is important to a traditional school of thought.

Actually, they don't agree on its overall boundaries. ROC still claims the entire landmass of Mongolia, and at least one Republic of Russia.
Globus Cruciger
Orb
Rookie
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2012, 03:27:26 PM »

Republic of China, for sure.

During the Cold War our recognition of the Communist gangsters may have been excusable, since we needed them to oppose the USSR. But now that the Cold War's over, there's no reason to recognize the PRC other than simple economic greed.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

But now that the Cold War's over, there's no reason to recognize the PRC other than simple economic greed.

Well, that and the fact that they actually govern China.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2012, 04:23:40 PM »

PRC actually control China....so yeah.

Surprised at the poll.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2012, 06:01:51 AM »

Actually, they don't agree on its overall boundaries. ROC still claims the entire landmass of Mongolia, and at least one Republic of Russia.
Tuwa I presume?

Lol, that is hilarious.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2012, 06:46:52 AM »

PRC actually control China....so yeah.

Surprised at the poll.

Might've been a bit more timely in the early 1970s, a bit out of place now.

Back then we could have done what we liked, and I do believe that Nixon's whole rapprochement thing with China was, far from being a genius move, rather pointless in the long run.   Alas for the Empire, now the Chinese are becoming a superpower of (perhaps eventually) equal status, and to 'not recognize' them at this stage would be the height of irrelevancy.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies