Opinion of Los Angeles?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:39:52 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Los Angeles?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of Los Angeles
Freedom City

Horrible City

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 29

Author Topic: Opinion of Los Angeles?  (Read 650 times)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »

Since we had one for the other large cities in America.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 10:41:50 PM »

I like the Los angeles area, though San Diego is better in the Southern California region. My preferences in places I would like to live would be the Bay Area and San Diego being a close tie followed by the Los Angeles metro.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 11:29:05 PM »

One of my best friends moved there last year with major reservations. She decided she likes it very much now. We tend to think alike. I trust her judgement.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 12:09:18 AM »

Very low.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 12:12:17 AM »

Los Angeles is the first place I want to visit this Spring, so since I've never been there, I will reserve judgement.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2012, 01:57:26 AM »

Los Angeles isn't really a city in the proper sense, and several things are awful, particularly traffic, pollution and (lack of) public transportation.

I still can't help but love it...
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2012, 03:02:23 AM »

Never been there. It seems like I'd like a lot about it (the food is great, very multicultural, big music and art scene, good weather, cool people), but the negatives that Franzl mentioned are some of my least favorite things, so I don't know.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2012, 04:13:52 AM »

Neutral.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2012, 07:42:45 AM »

This is probably a weird thing to say, but it feels strange to compare L.A. as a city to NYC or Chicago.  Obviously its population is in that league, but it feels more like a Bethesda-type "urbanized suburb" than either of those places.  It has a lot to offer, but it just seems unreasonable to compare it to cities that are actually legitimately metropolitan.  It isn't, and is a total failure at that, but once you put that aside, I think it has some pretty cool traits.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2012, 09:29:02 AM »

Being from the bay area, I would enjoy nothing more than to join the chorus talking down Los Angeles, but let's be objective here. Los angeles actually has an urban core that is comparable or better than basically every city in America other than NYC, Chicago and maybe San Francisco. I am not just talking about the collection of buildings in downtown, but head out towards Koreatown or Hollywood and its still pretty urbanized with a high population density. Also as a whole the metro has a high population density. Much higher than most metros. And thank god nobody has talked about sprawl yet. Both Chicago and NYC are much worse in that regard. Yes, the Los Angeles metro is huge, but it has 17 Million people living in it! That's almost twice the number that live in the Chicago metro, whih includes some random rural areas. The NYC metro area is spilling into Pennsylvania these days. Why is that not held up as an example of sprawl?
The Ex-Factor
xfactor99
Viet Nam

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -6.43

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2012, 09:43:04 AM »

HC when I'm thinking like a Bay Area native, but FC when I'm comparing it to the rest of America
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2012, 11:24:30 AM »

Being from the bay area, I would enjoy nothing more than to join the chorus talking down Los Angeles, but let's be objective here. Los angeles actually has an urban core that is comparable or better than basically every city in America other than NYC, Chicago and maybe San Francisco. I am not just talking about the collection of buildings in downtown, but head out towards Koreatown or Hollywood and its still pretty urbanized with a high population density. Also as a whole the metro has a high population density. Much higher than most metros. And thank god nobody has talked about sprawl yet. Both Chicago and NYC are much worse in that regard. Yes, the Los Angeles metro is huge, but it has 17 Million people living in it! That's almost twice the number that live in the Chicago metro, whih includes some random rural areas. The NYC metro area is spilling into Pennsylvania these days. Why is that not held up as an example of sprawl?
You make a good point about sprawl, even if few New Yorkers live in the sprawl areas. In any case, LA is the exact opposite of this:
For better or worse, the most traditionalist place in America. The exact opposite of everything that has come to define early 21st century America. No Wal-Mart. No garage (my family in Brooklyn actually had one, but you know what I mean). The little informal neighborhoods restaurants look filthy, but serve good food. You can actually walk places! No insincere "have a nice day!" A city, above all, of intense authenticity. New Yorkers have no reservations about telling you what's on their mind.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 11:28:13 AM »

go Clippers!  15-6
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »

The NYC metro area is spilling into Pennsylvania these days. Why is that not held up as an example of sprawl?
Because nobody, when asked his opinion of New York City, states his opinion of New Jersey.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2012, 01:02:09 PM »

I really have no desire to visit.....so I guess not much of an opinion.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2012, 02:04:39 PM »

The NYC metro area is spilling into Pennsylvania these days. Why is that not held up as an example of sprawl?
Because nobody, when asked his opinion of New York City, states his opinion of New Jersey.

So why do people state their opinion of Orange County when asked about Los Angeles. I understand a lot of people think Los Angeles has no urban core, but that's not really true.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2012, 02:12:08 PM »

So why do people state their opinion of Orange County when asked about Los Angeles. I understand a lot of people think Los Angeles has no urban core, but that's not really true.
Because everybody's mental image of Los Angeles is

I've no idea where exactly that actually is.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2012, 02:20:41 PM »

HC like all other cities in the Bad Place.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2012, 09:45:59 PM »

Massive Freedom City.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2012, 10:43:21 PM »

I don't like it a great deal, it has got some of the most interesting people I've ever met... but I've never had any desire to spend any more time there than I absolutely needed to.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies