Opinion of Shannon County, South Dakota (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:40:50 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Opinion of Shannon County, South Dakota (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Obama received 93% of the vote here in 2012
Freedom County

Horrible County

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Opinion of Shannon County, South Dakota  (Read 2841 times)
memphis
Atlas Icon

« on: December 04, 2012, 06:18:18 PM »

I drove through just to check it out when I was in the neighborhood, touring the Badlands. It was quite desolate and depressing, like most rural areas. What was notably different was that many Natives were out walking around along the Highway, something no non-Native rural would be caught dead doing in their neck of the woods. FWIW, the tour guide at Rushmore said the gov't has given the tribe a bazillion dollars (precisely) in compensation for screwing them over back in the day regarding the Black Hills. But the Injuns won't take the money, so it just sits in an account somewhere getting bigger day after day. And yet they all live in squalor. Go figure out a Native.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:02:21 PM »

I drove through just to check it out when I was in the neighborhood, touring the Badlands. It was quite desolate and depressing, like most rural areas. What was notably different was that many Natives were out walking around along the Highway, something no non-Native rural would be caught dead doing in their neck of the woods. FWIW, the tour guide at Rushmore said the gov't has given the tribe a bazillion dollars (precisely) in compensation for screwing them over back in the day regarding the Black Hills. But the Injuns won't take the money, so it just sits in an account somewhere getting bigger day after day. And yet they all live in squalor. Go figure out a Native.
Yes, they're hard to understand - having honor and pride and so forth..
I didn't see a lot of honor or pride. I saw a lot of drunk Indians living in squalor with nothing to do and nowhere to go. Dignity wasn't on the menu.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2012, 05:30:49 PM »

I'm not at all familiar with the workings of their tribal gov't, but I bet many of those people would like some of that money but are being denied by their own tribal leaders. Maybe we just have different perceptions of dignity. I don't see the shame in taking the government's money and making life better for a communty. They're not getting the Black Hills back either way. They may as well take the white man to the cleaners.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 01:18:29 AM »

no, i'm aware that the republicans began as an abolitionist party.
This is not at all the case. The Republican Party was about free soil. Abolitionism was an extremely marginalized position in the 1850s. The GOP wanted to block merely the expansion of slavery. And by the 1850s, slave labor had little room for expansion anyhow. The only segments of the Lower 48 having not yet acheived statehood was the Great Plains north of Texas, then known as the Great American Desert and the Mountain West. Oddly enough, it was a largely symbolic issue until the secession crisis and even then, Lincoln offered a constitutional amendment to guarantee Southern slavery forever if people in the Southen states would remain loyal. Obviously, it was not to be.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2012, 10:59:17 PM »

no, i'm aware that the republicans began as an abolitionist party.
This is not at all the case. The Republican Party was about free soil. Abolitionism was an extremely marginalized position in the 1850s. The GOP wanted to block merely the expansion of slavery. And by the 1850s, slave labor had little room for expansion anyhow. The only segments of the Lower 48 having not yet acheived statehood was the Great Plains north of Texas, then known as the Great American Desert and the Mountain West. Oddly enough, it was a largely symbolic issue until the secession crisis and even then, Lincoln offered a constitutional amendment to guarantee Southern slavery forever if people in the Southen states would remain loyal. Obviously, it was not to be.
True, but there was a faction known as the "Radical Republicans" who opposed slavery outright.
In most cases, the RRs were not outright abolitionists though. They railed against Slave Power and the expansion of slavery, but that is not the same thing as demanding the immediate and uncompensated end to the institution altogether. The abolitionist were extremely fringe type people. William Lloyd Garrison famously burned a copy of the Constitution, calling it a "Covenant with Death, an Agreement with Hell." Not the kind of guy the politicians wanted to be associated with. The closest comparison, and it is highly imperfect, would be the contrast between American Left in the 1930s and the unapologetic Communists. Henry Wallace may have had some unconventional ideas but he was no Bolshevik. The abolitionists were perceived as being that radical and dangerous.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies