Malcolm Smith to join IDC/GOP New York State Senate coalition
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 10:39:16 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Malcolm Smith to join IDC/GOP New York State Senate coalition
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Malcolm Smith to join IDC/GOP New York State Senate coalition  (Read 2141 times)
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:36:37 AM »

http://m.nypost.com/p/news/local/queens/dem_smith_to_join_gop_coalition_gj4vs696rJXr5SNhs6453O

Queens Democrat Malcolm Smith is joining forces with Republicans in a new coalition to run the fractured state Senate, the Post has learned.

In a stunning move, Smith, the former Senate majority leader, will join the Independent Democratic Caucus, which includes four other renegades who will help keep the GOP in charge.

Haha.
danny
Israel

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:52:10 AM »

The New York senate democrats are pathetic.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 11:18:44 AM »

That may be true, but every upstate district is underpopulated while every downstate district is overpopulated. As if gerrymandering wasn't bad enough on its own, the NY State Senate is badly malapportioned. Take a look. (I'm fairly sure that was the final adopted map.)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 11:40:19 AM »

Smith? I'm surprised. Maybe I shouldn't be, though.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 01:53:51 PM »

That may be true, but every upstate district is underpopulated while every downstate district is overpopulated. As if gerrymandering wasn't bad enough on its own, the NY State Senate is badly malapportioned. Take a look. (I'm fairly sure that was the final adopted map.)

If this is true then how the heck has this thing survived all the court challenges?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 02:21:37 PM »

Congratulations Phil Cuomo
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 02:30:30 PM »

If this is true then how the heck has this thing survived all the court challenges?

The USSC has ruled that districts need only be within 10% of each other. While this map complies with that, I think one could make a case that certain populations were targeted under these new lines. I haven't heard if a court case is being pursued.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 02:35:24 PM »

I wonder if any NY State Senate Democrats want to make upstate New York it's own state because of this...
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 03:10:36 PM »

Haha. I suppose Cuomo had something to do with this?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 03:15:32 PM »

If only Spitzer had kept his pants on...Sad
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/nyregion/malcolm-smith-defects-joining-dissenting-democrats.html

Mr. Skelos and Mr. Klein said the Senate would adopt new rules that formally recognized the Independent Democratic Conference, which has five members, as a third caucus in the Senate, in addition to the Republicans’ and Democrats’. Mr. Skelos and Mr. Klein would have “joint and equal authority” over the bills that the Senate takes up, committee assignments, appointments and state budget negotiations. They would take turns serving as the temporary president of the Senate, a position defined in the State Constitution, alternating in the position every two weeks.

Haha.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 11:41:10 PM »

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/05/nyregion/malcolm-smith-defects-joining-dissenting-democrats.html

Mr. Skelos and Mr. Klein said the Senate would adopt new rules that formally recognized the Independent Democratic Conference, which has five members, as a third caucus in the Senate, in addition to the Republicans’ and Democrats’. Mr. Skelos and Mr. Klein would have “joint and equal authority” over the bills that the Senate takes up, committee assignments, appointments and state budget negotiations. They would take turns serving as the temporary president of the Senate, a position defined in the State Constitution, alternating in the position every two weeks.

Haha.

So... New York has three parties now, technically?
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:17 PM »

Is the Alaska Senate run like that? With about half the GOP Senators caucusing with the Democrats?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 11:55:55 PM »

Haha.

So... New York has three parties now, technically?

New York has at least 5 (Republican, Democratic, Independence, Working Families, Conservative) and I believe as of the elections of 2010 the Greens have joined them. What has happened is that the New York State Senate Democrats (they are all Democrats) have devolved into two blocs who hate each other. They will be facing each other in primaries, not the general. (And they will be facing each other very little; most of the Senators in the IDC are personally popular, but I think most new Democratic Senators will make it a campaign plank to caucus with the mainstream Democrats; those who don't want to do that will probably run as Republicans).

Is the Alaska Senate run like that? With about half the GOP Senators caucusing with the Democrats?

It was, but as of the 2012 elections is no longer.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 12:06:13 AM »

http://www.ktva.com/news/alaska-election-2012/Republicans-Take-Control-of-State-Senate-177789301.html?m=y
You must be logged in to read this quote.

It is still kind of crazy, but in the opposite direction. Tongue
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »

The New York senate democrats are pathetic.

The New York Senate in general fits that description.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2012, 02:14:58 AM »

That'd be pretty cool and unique if both parties were all in the same caucus together. Considering the Democrats in the AK Senate are already accustomed to working across party lines I doubt they'd have much of a problem to keep doing it.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2012, 09:32:50 AM »

If Cuomo runs, Democratic primary voters should not forget this.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2012, 03:54:11 PM »

Hahahahahahaha.
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2012, 03:59:38 PM »

I would like to take a moment to thank the men and women of the NY state Senate for all their hard work keeping it so entertaining.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: December 26, 2012, 01:11:14 PM »

http://politicker.com/2012/12/ruben-diaz-rings-in-the-new-year-with-jabs-at-the-state-senate-and-uncle-tom-malcolm-smith/

This year on December 31st, when I bend my knees in church and make my New Year’s resolutions, you should know that I will be making the following political wishes for some people:

1. For Senator John Sampson, to find better and more faithful friends.

2. For reporters Bob Kappstatter, from the Bronx Times and Jim Odato from the Times Union, to learn how to be impartial and objective journalists.

3. For Senator Jeff Klein and his Gang of Four, to find a parachute to allow them to make their landing easy and soft when Senator Dean Skelos and the Republicans – fearing the Conservative Party – reject their support for a progressive agenda, leaving the Gang of Four out in the cold.

4. For Senator Malcolm Smith, to find another minority to join him in order for him not to be the only Uncle Tom in the house.

5. For Assemblyman-Elect Luis Sepulveda, to take it a little bit easier with a little more patience and wait for his time, because it will come.

6. For my three friends, Carl Kruger, Pedro Espada, and Hiram Monserrate, to try to get together in 2013 while they are away and write a book instructing Jeff Klein and the Gang of Four how to deal with Dean Skelos and what to expect from him.

7. To Senator Andrea Stewart-Cousins, to buy a back-stabbing proof vest.

8.  For Senator Adriano Espaillat, to get a big handkerchief to wipe away his saliva because Charlie Rangel will be there for many years more – and aside from that, Adam Clayton Powell is warming up in the bullpen.

9. For Governor Andrew Cuomo, to be honest enough to admit that he has been the creator of the mess in the New York State Senate.

10. As for myself, should these nine other wishes come true, that I will be able to take a break and keep my mouth shut.

This is Senator Reverend Rubén Díaz and this is what you should know.  Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

Hahahaha.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: December 26, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »

Can someone show enough goodwill to explain me where the clusterf**k in the NY Senate comes from?
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2012, 01:56:48 PM »

Rubén Díaz makes New Year's resolutions in church?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2012, 03:33:09 PM »

Can someone show enough goodwill to explain me where the clusterf**k in the NY Senate comes from?
Tradition mostly.

I think this is a win-win situation. In New York Cuomo, independents, moderates etc... see a win for bi-partisanship and for the rest of us we get political entertainment at its finest.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2012, 03:59:40 PM »

Hahahahahahaha.

I remember that... that was pretty crazy back then.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies