(D-MN) Sen. Mark Dayton expected to bow out of re-election bid
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:15:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  (D-MN) Sen. Mark Dayton expected to bow out of re-election bid
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: (D-MN) Sen. Mark Dayton expected to bow out of re-election bid  (Read 17914 times)
ATFFL
Junior Chimp
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2005, 05:07:43 PM »

2006-- the 6 year itch is usually bad for the incumbent president (except for Clinton in 1998). I think it would be smarter for him to go for it now than wait until 2008. At least he can run on an anti-Bush campaign in a state Bush lost twice. He won't have that in 2008. 

I just want Alan Page to sit this out. PLEASE!

Bubba had his six year itch four years early

Yes, the legendary Gingritch.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2005, 05:16:35 PM »

I was listening live...I didn't want him to run, since I didn't want to see his name get shattered, but in a way I did, because I could actually get excited about that campaign in a way I couldn't if it's just some representative.

Hell, if Franken were running I'd want him to win more than a local candidate for my own district.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2005, 09:17:12 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2005, 09:18:53 PM by Philip »

I think 2006 will be a good year for Republicans, particularly in the Senate.

And, other than Reagan in 1986, whose party lost a lot of seats six years into his presidency? Nixon did, but that's because of Watergate, as everybody knows.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #53 on: February 10, 2005, 10:42:55 PM »

Article in the StarTrib on this today didn't mention Franken even once.

Ciresi is almost a given. He lost the primary narrowly to Dayton in 2000 and said he'd jump into a race "in a nanosecond" if Dayton dropped out. He's a huge attorney who won a $6 billion case against the tobacco industry, and has the huge plus of being able to finance his own campaign.

The other mentioned candidate is Hennepin county attorney Amy Klouboucher. She's actually pretty high profile and was a speaker at the DNC, and has a strong record of a prosecutor of being tough on crime. Her dad was also a well known columnist giving her name recognition. But I think she's more likely to run for Attorney General since Mike Hatch is almost certain to run against Pawlenty.

I can't remember the third profiled guy's name, but he's a legal counsel for the U of M who's been hinting he's interested in a run at quite some time. He was the chair of Lieberman's campaign in MN so he must be a moderate, but that means I won't be supporting him in the primary for sure. I don't mind moderates, but supporting Lieberman runs me the wrong way.

Dean Johnson, Betty McCollum and Alan Page were all mentioned as possibilities. It also said Alan Page couldn't be reached for comment yet.

I just realized I have almost 2 years until the primary so that's plenty of time to make up mind, but out of the mentioned ones, I'd be supporting Ciresi now. But there's a LOOOOOONG way to go.

Also, apparentely Rod Grams is officially in now. Let's just hope he wins the nomination.
MN--Troy
MNTroy
Rookie

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2005, 11:12:04 PM »

Article in the StarTrib on this today didn't mention Franken even once.

Ciresi is almost a given. He lost the primary narrowly to Dayton in 2000 and said he'd jump into a race "in a nanosecond" if Dayton dropped out. He's a huge attorney who won a $6 billion case against the tobacco industry, and has the huge plus of being able to finance his own campaign.

The other mentioned candidate is Hennepin county attorney Amy Klouboucher. She's actually pretty high profile and was a speaker at the DNC, and has a strong record of a prosecutor of being tough on crime. Her dad was also a well known columnist giving her name recognition. But I think she's more likely to run for Attorney General since Mike Hatch is almost certain to run against Pawlenty.

I can't remember the third profiled guy's name, but he's a legal counsel for the U of M who's been hinting he's interested in a run at quite some time. He was the chair of Lieberman's campaign in MN so he must be a moderate, but that means I won't be supporting him in the primary for sure. I don't mind moderates, but supporting Lieberman runs me the wrong way.

Dean Johnson, Betty McCollum and Alan Page were all mentioned as possibilities. It also said Alan Page couldn't be reached for comment yet.

I just realized I have almost 2 years until the primary so that's plenty of time to make up mind, but out of the mentioned ones, I'd be supporting Ciresi now. But there's a LOOOOOONG way to go.

Also, apparentely Rod Grams is officially in now. Let's just hope he wins the nomination.

I have seen from anywhere 6 to 9 Minnesota Democrats vying for the nomination. The DFL does not need an embittered primary especially against potential strong challengers like Mark Kennedy or Gil Gutknecht.

Rod Grams is DEAD ON ARRIVAL with respect to the nomination.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies