MA: Directive to Regional Offices on the Status of Texas (Vetoed)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:44:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  MA: Directive to Regional Offices on the Status of Texas (Vetoed)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: MA: Directive to Regional Offices on the Status of Texas (Vetoed)  (Read 850 times)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 06, 2012, 12:27:41 AM »
« edited: December 08, 2012, 12:40:19 AM by Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Sponsor: Inks.LWC
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 12:48:28 AM »

Strongly support this measure. Good work Inks!
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 01:04:36 AM »

May I address the Senate? Also there are some errors in the bill as worded.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2012, 01:06:05 AM »

Sure... feel free.  Although I've fixed at least one error.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2012, 01:25:27 AM »

Thank you sir Inks.

*ahem*

I wish to thank you and all the members of the Senate whom are gathered here today.

I wish to ask of you an indulgence and your further patience, while I explain to you the plight of the people of Texas, and why we wish to leave the Imperial Dominion of the South.

As many of you know, the recent case of seatown vs the IDS reached the Supreme Court of this glorious land, and was unanimously rejected. Seatown, having lost an election and been rejected by the people of the IDS, chose to fight the result of the election through the courts, even though the ballots clearly indicated that the people of the IDS did not and do not want him as their representative.

In doing so, seatown attempted to invalidate the ballots of 12 citizens of the IDS, for whom I am a representative at large. In my official capacity I voted for JBrase to defend our good people against this travesty and we were successful. However, the people of Texas would not stand for this affrontry and attempted to declare martial law in response. They were angered that a citizen of the IDS would attempt to take their votes away and have them declared null and void - an anger I am sure all of you understand.

When I returned to my district, I was able to calm down the leader of the militia and get him to stand down his forces and await the results of the trial, which upheld their basic rights to an elected representative. However, this incident provoke a grave disquiet among my constituents.

They asked me, "Is it really true, that in the IDS, all it takes is one man to file this case to deprive us all of our votes?" and indeed, I had nothing more to answer them than a meek yes. Were it not for our benevolent Judicial overlord Dibble, we would be nothing more than slaves to those who would consider themselves to be their betters.

Thus, the people of Texas are concerned that inadequate safeguards have been established to prevent this from occurring again. Given the growing support for the party for which seatown belongs, they expressed concern that the Labour party was attempting to win through stuffing the ballot box, what they could not win through the legal system.

They are worried, sirs, at losing their own sovereignty to those who know nothing of this beautiful land of the South, with our cotton blossoms and oh- so blue skies that just seem to extend forever. Those who have shuttled in on a bus to grasp a ballot and then shuffle off back up North, having done their trunchent task well.

The people of Texas, have cried out to me, asking that I do something to protect them in the event that the IDS should be overwhelmed. And, so I have. I have, earlier today, filed the Texas Ordinance of Secession in the legislature of the IDS for which I was duly elected as their representative and I am in the process of initiating the first legislative session of the Sovereign region of Texas.

I am willing to put the question to a plebescite among the peoples of Texas so that this Senate can see that there is desire among the people of Texas to remove themselves from the region of the Imperial Domain of the South. I ask that this Senate consider the wishes of the people of Texas first and foremost to good governance that serves their needs and desires first, and not those of others first and Texas second.

I thank you for your time and I bid you well.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2012, 01:35:25 AM »

Thus, the people of Texas are concerned that inadequate safeguards have been established to prevent this from occurring again.

What further safeguards do you propose?  The regional amendment regarding voter intent passed 15-0, and I see no other legislation introduced to you on the subject of proposed safeguards.

Wouldn't that make this your failure, as a legislator, not the failure of the IDS as a region?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2012, 01:45:22 AM »

And even if I agreed with your claims, the secession is clearly unconstitutional. Even if you believe that your rights have been violated, secession is not a legal remedy.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2012, 01:47:39 AM »

There are much better alternatives to succession - The Mideast Government is ready to assist in finding a peaceful solution between Texas and the IDS Government.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2012, 01:54:17 AM »

Regional exile for any citizen, in this case seatown who attempts to deprive another citizen of their exercise of the franchise for their own benefit. It would act as a deterrent to future shenanigans.

None public, no.

The support for my draft bill simply wasn't there in the IDS legislature at present given the current structure of the IDS legislature. Hence why Texas does not feel safe with the situation at present and would much prefer to govern themselves rather than be a part of the IDS.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2012, 01:57:07 AM »

The Mideastern government has reached out to you via PM in an attempt to work out a peace agreement. I urge you to respond.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2012, 01:58:13 AM »

What alternatives would the honourable senator from Indiana suggest? I am open to discussion and negotiation, else I would not be here. I have no more desire to shed Southern blood than any of you. I just want to preserve the natural rights of the people of Texas for perpetuity.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2012, 01:59:56 AM »

Regional exile for any citizen, in this case seatown who attempts to deprive another citizen of their exercise of the franchise for their own benefit. It would act as a deterrent to future shenanigans.
That seems likea much further deprivation of rights to me.

None public, no.

The support for my draft bill simply wasn't there in the IDS legislature at present given the current structure of the IDS legislature. Hence why Texas does not feel safe with the situation at present and would much prefer to govern themselves rather than be a part of the IDS.
[/quote]

But you didn't even try... you seceded in bad faith without making an effort to protect the votes of Texans.

And even if you were right on all of this, you're still ignoring the Constitution.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2012, 02:04:07 AM »

What alternatives would the honourable senator from Indiana suggest? I am open to discussion and negotiation, else I would not be here. I have no more desire to shed Southern blood than any of you. I just want to preserve the natural rights of the people of Texas for perpetuity.
That's Governor to you. Wink
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2012, 02:11:03 AM »

I do apologize to the Governor of Indiana.

People who hurt other people end up in jail. Seatown's case was a bad faith attempt to deprive other people of their votes, and should have proportionate consequences to Seatown. As it is, he gets a slap on the wrist and told, "don't do it anymore", whereas, if he succeeded, he would have been seated. Risk/reward is profoundly on the side of reward as there was no risk or cost to him.

As you well know, not all negotiations are public. Smiley

Would I be here if I intended to bypass the constitution? If I need the approval of the Senate, than I shall seek it. I have already stated that Texas is not seceding from Atlasia, merely from the IDS. That means I have already acknowledged your authority in this particular matter, and I shall accept whatever the Senate decides.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2012, 02:29:57 AM »

People who hurt other people end up in jail. Seatown's case was a bad faith attempt to deprive other people of their votes, and should have proportionate consequences to Seatown. As it is, he gets a slap on the wrist and told, "don't do it anymore", whereas, if he succeeded, he would have been seated. Risk/reward is profoundly on the side of reward as there was no risk or cost to him.
Wouldn't this mean you should pursue judicial reform, not secession?

But clearly the IDS does not consent, and you do need its approval as well.
Wisconsin+17
Ben Kenobi
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2012, 02:45:29 AM »

Secession is a means to achieve judicial reform not otherwise available.

Indeed. The antipathy of certain members of the legislature is great enough as to suggest my lynching on the steps of the IDS legislature. Ergo, I suggest that consent not be desired nor required in light of the nature of this dispute. I do not believe this constitutional principle has been tested prior.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2012, 02:51:40 AM »

There are legislative and amendment processes you could pursue.

As for suggesting that consent not be required... there is no basis for that suggestion.  The Constitution plainly states "The consent of the Regions being changed is required".  You can make suggestions all you want, but "is required" is a pretty clear standard.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2012, 02:53:59 AM »

In any event, as this is an important issue, and I feel that this needs to be adopted as quickly as possible to ensure that the government of this region is able to continually interact with Texas as a part of the IDS, I'm gong to bring this to a vote.  It seems this is a one-man battle, and I don't see any reason why this wouldn't pass unanimously.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2012, 02:54:57 AM »

AYE
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2012, 02:55:28 AM »

And as usual, this will be a 48-hour vote.  Members will vote AYE, NAY, or ABSTAIN.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2012, 03:11:07 AM »

AYE
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2012, 02:08:44 PM »

Aye
Kitteh
drj101
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2012, 02:15:51 PM »

Abstain
Talleyrand
YaBB God

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2012, 06:59:57 PM »

Abstain
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2012, 02:22:32 AM »

Well, since this is no longer relevant, I'll close the vote.  Voting is now closed.  The AYEs are 3, and the NAYs are 0, with 2 ABSTAINs.  The AYEs have it, and the bill has passed.  The bill is now passed onto the Governor for his signature or veto.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies