Ehrlich and Co. must be scared of a little competition.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 11:12:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Ehrlich and Co. must be scared of a little competition.
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ehrlich and Co. must be scared of a little competition.  (Read 3745 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 09, 2005, 03:43:58 PM »
« edited: February 09, 2005, 03:54:23 PM by nickshepDEM »

Im not a big fan of O'Malley, but this is taking it a little to far.

<snip>
A longtime campaign operative of Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. resigned his state job yesterday after admitting he had been spreading rumors on the Internet about the personal life of Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley.

Joseph Steffen, 45, said he gave the governor his resignation after questions about his postings on www.FreeRepublic.com, a well-known conservative Web site. The postings discussed O'Malley's marriage.
<snip>

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/local/politics/bal-te.md.resign09feb09,1,7604723.story?coll=bal-home-headlines

Seems like their trying to knock of the Dem candidates before they can announce they're running.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005, 03:45:06 PM »
« Edited: February 09, 2005, 04:00:36 PM by nickshepDEM »

Oh, I forgot one little thing.  Ehrlich paid him $100,000 of taxpayer money to leave.  Man, a couple weeks ago I was thinking how tough it was going to be to beat Ehrlich, but boy his ship is sinking fast.  One day its negative comments about minorities and the next day his aid's are smearing potential Democratic gubernatorial candidates.
Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005, 08:00:04 PM »

O'Malley's task may have become a little tougher.  Yesterday, Mayor O'Malley  stated that the Bush budget was the equivalent of 9/11 to America's cities.  Stupid comments like that raise questions about his capacity to think clearly or govern rationally.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 09:35:42 PM »

O'Malley's task may have become a little tougher.  Yesterday, Mayor O'Malley  stated that the Bush budget was the equivalent of 9/11 to America's cities.  Stupid comments like that raise questions about his capacity to think clearly or govern rationally.

Yeah, I read about that.  Im actually hoping that O'Malley knocks himself out of the race so Montgomery County Executive Doug Duncan can cruise through an easy primary.  A brutal primary between O'Malley and Duncan will just hurt the winner of the primary in the General Election.  To tell you the truth, I would probably vote for Ehrlich over O'Malley or Id vote for a write in.  O'Malley has done nothing in the Baltimore City that would merrit him to be Governor.  Plus, I wanna' win in 2006 and O'Malley isnt going to get close to winning, Ehrlich would crush him, IMO.  Thats why Im gonna' back Duncan in the primaries.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005, 02:05:02 AM »

All the great scumbag democrats of MD

O'Malley
Schafer
Schmoke
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005, 09:34:10 AM »

Yeah, I read about that.  Im actually hoping that O'Malley knocks himself out of the race so Montgomery County Executive Doug Duncan can cruise through an easy primary.  A brutal primary between O'Malley and Duncan will just hurt the winner of the primary in the General Election.  To tell you the truth, I would probably vote for Ehrlich over O'Malley or Id vote for a write in.  O'Malley has done nothing in the Baltimore City that would merrit him to be Governor.  Plus, I wanna' win in 2006 and O'Malley isnt going to get close to winning, Ehrlich would crush him, IMO.  Thats why Im gonna' back Duncan in the primaries.

You'd be willing to have four more years of Ehrlich? O'Malley may have been a medicore mayor, but Ehrlich's been a terrible governor.

O'Malley can win statewide. He has been winning in a hypothetical matchup, and the state is very Democratic. Consider how close Kennedy Townsend came to winning in 2002 after a miserable campaign.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 02:24:15 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2005, 02:28:31 PM by nickshepDEM »

You'd be willing to have four more years of Ehrlich? O'Malley may have been a medicore mayor, but Ehrlich's been a terrible governor.
Nope, I cant stand Ehrlich, but O'Malley isnt exactly one of my favorites.  I would much rather have Duncan as the Democratic candidate and Governor.  Im not saying I have 100% ruled out voting for O'Malley.  I just dont understand why he think he deserves to be governor when he hasnt done anything to turn Baltimore City around.  The murder rate is on course to break last years record, crime in the city is out of controll, he cant decide on a police chief, billions are missing from a terrrrrrible school system.  I guess Im just being bitchy now because I want Duncan as the Democratic candidate.  We'll see...

O'Malley can win statewide. He has been winning in a hypothetical matchup, and the state is very Democratic. Consider how close Kennedy Townsend came to winning in 2002 after a miserable campaign.

Thats the old Baltimore Sun poll.  They have a more recent one that has Ehrlich and O'Malley in a dead heat.  O'Malley would do extremley well in the stongly Democratic areas of Prince Georges County, Montgomery County, and Baltimore City.  But I dont see him doing very well in other counties such as, Baltimore County and Howard County and thats were the election will be decided.  Alot of local democrats I have talked to from my area (baltimore county) have already ruled out voting for O'Malley in the primary and general.  They think he is some "Boy Mayor" who cant run a city let alone an entire state.  Plus, O'Malley's recent 9/11 comments regarding Bush's budget proposal arent going to sit very well with alot of people.
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2005, 02:36:21 PM »

O'Malley is and still continues to be a craptacular mayor.  And that's saying something since I came from Houston when it was run by the godawful bureaucrat (of Crown Heights fame) Lee Brown.

I think I'm still the only person I know who hasn't been robbed or shot at since I'm moved here.  I still get panhandled by homeless people or crackheads daily. (guess I'm just the wrong color)

If O'Malley runs, I'll vote for Ehrlich in a New York minute.  That is, unless I can get out of here before then.  Smiley

Signed,

Resident of inner city Baltimore
(yours truly)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2005, 02:54:35 PM »

Sam, do you like Ehrlich or would your vote for him be more of an anbody but O'Malley vote?  Would you consider voting for Duncan?
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2005, 03:13:22 PM »

Sam, do you like Ehrlich or would your vote for him be more of an anbody but O'Malley vote?  Would you consider voting for Duncan?

I honestly don't know much about Duncan (my MontCo county politics  knowledge is sort of slim).  I was not in Maryland when Ehrlich won in 2002, though chances are I would have voted for him then(I also don't like Kennedys or the Kennedy clan).

I like Ehrlich, so that means it's not an anybody-but-O'Malley vote, but I would consider voting for another candidate (Duncan or another Dem) if I thought he was better.  I will not vote for O'Malley because I despise him.

Truthfully, there are very few candidates who I will ever give my vote to without reservations.  I often like to examine all candidates, then separate the "wheat from the chaff" for me.

Of course, there are some candidates I will never vote for because I know them and I don't trust them.  O'Malley is one of those people.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2005, 04:08:53 PM »

Nope, I cant stand Ehrlich, but O'Malley isnt exactly one of my favorites.  I would much rather have Duncan as the Democratic candidate and Governor.  Im not saying I have 100% ruled out voting for O'Malley.  I just dont understand why he think he deserves to be governor when he hasnt done anything to turn Baltimore City around.  The murder rate is on course to break last years record, crime in the city is out of controll, he cant decide on a police chief, billions are missing from a terrrrrrible school system.  I guess Im just being bitchy now because I want Duncan as the Democratic candidate.  We'll see...

I'd probably prefer Duncan too, there's a lot less dirt on him, which makes him more electable. Just keep in mind, being mayor of a major city, let alone Baltimore, is not an easy job by any stretch.

Thats the old Baltimore Sun poll.  They have a more recent one that has Ehrlich and O'Malley in a dead heat.  O'Malley would do extremley well in the stongly Democratic areas of Prince Georges County, Montgomery County, and Baltimore City.  But I dont see him doing very well in other counties such as, Baltimore County and Howard County and thats were the election will be decided.  Alot of local democrats I have talked to from my area (baltimore county) have already ruled out voting for O'Malley in the primary and general.  They think he is some "Boy Mayor" who cant run a city let alone an entire state.  Plus, O'Malley's recent 9/11 comments regarding Bush's budget proposal arent going to sit very well with alot of people.
You must be logged in to read this quote.

I'd say no Democrat can fair worse than 45% in Maryland, assuming there's no very attractive third party candidate. Bush only got 42% here, and those are the people who care about those comments. Keep in mind, O'Malley and Ehrlich have enough baggage with "foot in mouth comments" to make the whole campaign like that. We have to keep in mind Ehrlich has a very tough road ahead.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2005, 06:33:08 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2005, 06:36:19 PM by nickshepDEM »

Akno, Sam, and all other Maryland residents interested in hearing a little more about Duncan.  I talked to a member at another board that used to work for Duncan and this is how he described him to me...

"I used to work for Doug.

Doug is more moderate than O'Malley. However, Montgomery County still has a negative reputation in the rest of the state that could hurt him.

He's had some issues with some of the local unions, but any mayor or county executive has those issues. But he's definitely more moderate. He originally opposed the living wage before supporting a different version that became law. He's very much pro-roads and development.

He's a very good person and a good Democrat. He bankrolled the coordinated campaign in Montgomery County in the 98 election."
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2005, 06:40:22 PM »

I have nothing against Doug Duncan.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2005, 06:44:06 PM »

I know, I just rembered you saying you didnt know much about him so I figured Id post this.  Its not alot, but still gives a little bit of an idea as to who he is and what he is about.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005, 08:16:25 PM »

I know, I just rembered you saying you didnt know much about him so I figured Id post this.  Its not alot, but still gives a little bit of an idea as to who he is and what he is about.

He's liberal enough for my tastes, and I would certainly support him in the general and there's a good chance I'd vote for him in the primary. He's been receptive to welfare and education programs, he'd make a really good governor.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005, 04:50:02 AM »
« Edited: February 13, 2005, 04:55:49 AM by Proud Liberal »

update -as a direct result of the false charges made against Baltimore mayor and gubernatorial hopeful Martin O'Malley, Ehrlich may suffer a blow to his likeability ratings throughout Maryland (particularly among Maryland Democrats who have a 2 to 1 voter registration advantage over Republicans).  whether this is going to be lasting is yet to be seen, but it doesn't bode well when he runs against whichever Democrat wins his party's nomination:

Uproar Puts Ehrlich's Likability On the Line

By April Witt
Washington Post Staff Writer
Sunday, February 13, 2005; Page A01

Lofty ideals -- honor, service, accomplishment -- were on the agenda when some of the University of Maryland's most august backers gathered at the State House recently to recognize two alumni donating some of the largest gifts in the school's history.

One of the honorees quoted Aristotle. Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) gave a pep talk and joked about sports.

"The campus is on a roll," the governor said as he flashed his trademark smile. "The only thing I can see that's a problem on this campus right now is you need some defensive rebounds."

Ehrlich, son of a car salesman, rose from a modest Baltimore County rowhouse to the State House as an amiable jock, the sunny, wholesome and likable Everyman: Gov. Bob.

Less obvious -- but equally defining -- is his intense competitiveness. The former Ivy League middle linebacker still relishes pounding opponents on any field and makes no apologies for that. "It's a full-contact sport here," Ehrlich said recently. "The bottom line is the bottom line: What scores?"

The governor made the remarks just days before news broke Wednesday that one of his longtime aides had discussed on the Internet efforts to spread rumors that Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley, a Democrat considering challenging Ehrlich in the 2006 gubernatorial race, had an extramarital affair.

O'Malley said the rumors were false, vicious and orchestrated to sink his candidacy. Ehrlich responded by forcing his aide, Joseph Steffen, to resign and vowing that he personally had nothing to do with spreading the rumors. Democratic lawmakers are demanding an independent investigation.

The controversy has the potential to land an unprecedented blow to Ehrlich's most valuable political asset: his likable persona.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A19737-2005Feb12.html

...i hope it does. 
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2005, 09:20:08 AM »

Maryland will get what it deserves if they elect O'Malley to Governor.  Democrats have already run that fine city into the crapper. It used to be such a beautiful town, now its a dump, no thanks to Schafer, Schmoke and O'Nutjob.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2005, 03:07:50 PM »

Im backing Duncan in the primary, period.  If he loses I dont know what Im going to do when he General Election rolls around.  I guess anybody would be better than that obstructionist we have in Annapolis now.
kgt107
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2005, 06:17:36 PM »

You mean the democratic legislature?
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2005, 06:29:03 PM »

Welcome to the board, kgt107. Smiley
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2005, 08:33:54 PM »

You mean the democratic legislature?

No, I mean Bobby get nothing done Ehrlich.

Notre Dame rules!

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2005, 11:22:25 PM »

Tough to get anything done if you're facing obstructionist majorities in both houses.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2005, 11:26:01 PM »

it's even tougher if you have an obstructionist governor..... 
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2005, 11:33:06 PM »

Tough to get anything done if you're facing obstructionist majorities in both houses.

Dont campaign as a moderate and then try to Govern as something totally different and you wouldnt be in that situation.  He has shown no effort what so effort to work with the Democrats in the state legislature.  If it isnt 110% his way, he wont accept or support it.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies