Greece General Discussion
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 10:33:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Greece General Discussion
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13
Author Topic: Greece General Discussion  (Read 46208 times)
Zinneke
JosepBroz
YaBB God
Belgium

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: December 29, 2014, 05:41:04 AM »

I feel sorry for the President tbh. His position has just been used as a political tool.

Greek interest rates up 10% BEFORE the vote.

Merkel beside herself.

These elections are going to be insane.
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #101 on: December 29, 2014, 05:41:55 AM »

Fantastic late X-Mas gift for any political junkie. One election to determine the future of the world's second largest currency.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #102 on: December 29, 2014, 05:44:59 AM »

168-132, not a single extra vote..
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2014, 05:45:27 AM »

Athens Stock Exchange in freefall
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2014, 05:47:40 AM »

Well, I predict ND will win again. They have been gaining steadily and when it comes down to the wire a lot of people will be scared. But it will be fun to watch for us outsiders.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #105 on: December 29, 2014, 07:53:43 AM »

Well, I predict ND will win again. They have been gaining steadily and when it comes down to the wire a lot of people will be scared. But it will be fun to watch for us outsiders.

Well, don't take greek polls at face value. SYRIZA will win handily this time but will fall short of a majority of seats.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #106 on: December 29, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »

Landslide Lyndon, I am curious, which party are you planning to vote for?

Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #107 on: December 29, 2014, 12:01:59 PM »

Landslide Lyndon, I am curious, which party are you planning to vote for?

I don't know yet. They are all horrible.
If Papandreou goes ahead and forms his own party then I will probably vote for it.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #108 on: December 29, 2014, 01:24:07 PM »

Man, I would love to be a fly on the wall for the upcoming... discussions (negotiations?) between Prime Minister Tsipras and a bunch of EU/ECB/IMF technocrats.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #109 on: December 29, 2014, 01:40:48 PM »

Well, don't take greek polls at face value. SYRIZA will win handily this time but will fall short of a majority of seats.

In Austria, voters like to punish the party that calls/was responsible for snap elections.

In this case, SYRIZA (and some others) are virtually the ones who made the new election happen.

Are Greek voters different on this issue ? Lifting the party that called for snap elections to an election win ?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #110 on: December 29, 2014, 02:09:07 PM »

My guess: SYRIZA wins with a plurality, they make some noises and act tough for a while, the bond market goes haywire, they return to the kennel with tails tucked in, become the new ND.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #111 on: December 29, 2014, 02:24:03 PM »

My guess: SYRIZA wins with a plurality, they make some noises and act tough for a while, the bond market goes haywire, they return to the kennel with tails tucked in, become the new ND.

Nah, the new Pasok.
justfollowingtheelections
unempprof
YaBB God

« Reply #112 on: December 29, 2014, 03:06:47 PM »
« Edited: December 29, 2014, 03:12:45 PM by blagohair.com »

A conversation between Pablo Iglesias and Alexis Tsipras on twitter:

‏@Pablo_Iglesias_
2015 será el año del cambio en España y en Europa. Empezaremos en Grecia. Vamos Alexis!! Vamos @syriza_gr !!

‏@atsipras
@Pablo_Iglesias_  Vamos a ganar! We will win! Θα νικήσουμε! #syriza #Podemos #SiSePuede

Also:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://en.protothema.gr/on-the-3rd-of-january-mr-papandreous-party-formally-introduces-itself-to-the-greek-political-reality/
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #113 on: December 29, 2014, 03:37:33 PM »

In Austria, voters like to punish the party that calls/was responsible for snap elections.

In this case, SYRIZA (and some others) are virtually the ones who made the new election happen.

Are Greek voters different on this issue ? Lifting the party that called for snap elections to an election win ?

Well, supposedly the people didn't want snap elections. But the government and Samaras are so unpopular that it will take a major miracle for them to avoid being defeated at the polls.

Frankly the voters have become extremely cynical. They don't expect that a SYRIZA administration will change anything meaningfully to the better. They are also well aware of the dangers if they try to antagonize the EU leadership and Germany.
But the majority has adopted a "Let me die with the Philistines" attitude and will probably cheer on if we take down the Eurozone with us.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #114 on: December 29, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »

Nah, the new Pasok.

About as venal or maybe a little less, do you think?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #115 on: December 29, 2014, 10:56:30 PM »

Greece will be using the same system as in previous elections, correct? 250 seats distributed proportionally for parties passing a 3% threshold, and then 50 seats as a bonus for the top party just because?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #116 on: December 29, 2014, 11:11:30 PM »

Greece will be using the same system as in previous elections, correct? 250 seats distributed proportionally for parties passing a 3% threshold, and then 50 seats as a bonus for the top party just because?

To ensure majorities (and that the Commies wouldn't hold the balance of power. Yeah, about that...)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #117 on: December 29, 2014, 11:11:55 PM »

Yes, that's correct
swl
France

« Reply #118 on: December 30, 2014, 05:16:40 PM »

I couldn't agree more: http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-12-29/how-to-save-greece-now
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #119 on: December 30, 2014, 06:38:54 PM »

Yeah, good luck selling that to the Germans.
swl
France

« Reply #120 on: December 31, 2014, 09:24:52 AM »
« Edited: December 31, 2014, 10:11:17 AM by swl »

If the two options left are a concerted haircut on the Greek debt or a unilateral default, the former is the less worse option for everyone: Greece, Germany and everyone else in Europe.

Maybe I overestimate her, but I think Merkel is able to choose the less worse option even if it harms her party.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #121 on: January 02, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
« Edited: January 02, 2015, 10:54:44 AM by politicus »

Papandreou is not starting a new party.. no, no, nothing that trivial. He is starting a "progressive movement" named either Change Movement or New Change and with a platform that will be decided at a congress after the election... so "vote for change" delivered by a guy that has been around forever in charge of a movement without a program.

"A Movement which will work in the next parliament to secure all of the necessary preconditions for a safe and final exit from the crisis.

A Movement which will give all of its powers to make a reality of the transition to a Post-clientelist Greece, with a vision of building a Greece of Justice and Creativity."

http://www.thetoc.gr/eng/politics/article/george-papandreou-announces-new-progressive-movement

http://www.thetoc.gr/eng/politics/article/george-papandreous-new-party-taking-form

Still:

"a large percentage of the party’s candidates expected to be under 40 and relative newcomers to politics."
Beezer

Political Matrix
E: 1.61, S: -2.17

« Reply #122 on: January 02, 2015, 12:42:32 PM »

Well, nothing says "change" more than a party formed by a former PM whose family has been part of the highest echelons of the country's political class for the past 90-odd years.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #123 on: January 02, 2015, 02:18:09 PM »

Well that turned out to be anticlimactic... I had expected Papandreou to give us something with a bit of substance at least. 

"A Movement which will work in the next parliament to secure all of the necessary preconditions for a safe and final exit from the crisis."

I love a political party that tells us they will solve a problem with-out telling us how they plan solve it. Roll Eyes
The above statement could in practice mean almost anything, and since the party won't get a platform until after the elections it would seem they will fight the campaign on equally empty and meaningless rhetoric and talking points. If they actually manage to beat the 3% threshold I expect their parliamentary group to break down at the first tough vote.     

I give Papandreou an F for a jokingly bad attemt to create a new party. Someone should ask him why, since he claims to know the necessary preconditions for a safe and final exit from the greek crisis, he didn't just solved the problem when he was Prime Minister. 
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #124 on: January 26, 2015, 05:16:55 AM »

Bumping this since the elections are over.

ANEL will be in a coalition with SYRIZA or at least offer co fidence. Potami and KKE TBD.

Deputy PM who will be responsible for Eurozone negotiations is reported to be this guy: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giannis_Dragasakis
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 10 ... 13  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies