Austria jails 3 Neo-Nazis for up to 9 years
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 12:29:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Austria jails 3 Neo-Nazis for up to 9 years
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Austria jails 3 Neo-Nazis for up to 9 years  (Read 1032 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 11, 2013, 02:52:03 AM »

Austrians jailed for glorifying Nazism

An Austrian court has convicted a leading neo-Nazi and two accomplices of glorifying Nazism through a website and sentenced them to prison terms of up to nine years.

Gottfried Kuessel was given a nine-year prison sentence on Thursday for being the founder of the "Alpen-Donau" website.

He spent time in prison in the 1990s on conviction of trying to form a successor to the Nazi party.

The two others - Felix Binder and Wilhelm Anderle - were sentenced to seven and four years respectively.

The website is no longer active, but defied years of Austrian efforts to shut it down because it was housed on a US server, which was protected by US free speech laws.

Austria bans glorification of the Nazi era.

http://www.skynews.com.au/world/article.aspx?id=834600

http://www.wienerzeitung.at/nachrichten/oesterreich/politik/514879_Leitfigur-des-Rechtsextremismus.html

Good ... Smiley
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2013, 03:35:07 AM »

How is this good?  It's just the other side of the same coin.  You'd better hope it doesn't flip again.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2013, 04:36:35 AM »

How is this good?  It's just the other side of the same coin.  You'd better hope it doesn't flip again.

Oversimplification of a more complex matter.

Adolf Hitler invaded Poland based on a flimsy justification, George W. Bush invaded Iraq based on a flimsy justification. Was it just the other side of the same coin or would this comparison oversimplify the matter??
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2013, 04:45:03 AM »

I don't exactly have any sympathy for neo-nazis, but I disagree with these laws.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2013, 04:50:23 AM »

I don't exactly have any sympathy for neo-nazis, but I disagree with these laws.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 05:54:17 AM »

Contrary to most of this forum, I am generally supportive of criminalizing hate speech. Still, 9 years is absolutely insane.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 06:00:02 AM »

Imprisoning people for thinking the wrong things isn't cool. If our way is really the better way then it can triumph by the pen, rather than by the sword.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2013, 06:26:32 AM »

Imprisoning people for thinking the wrong things isn't cool. If our way is really the better way then it can triumph by the pen, rather than by the sword.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2013, 07:25:45 AM »

I believe one should have the right to be an awful human being without fear of jailtime for their awful beliefs. Obviously this is Austria, not America, but remember that the 1st Amendment was meant specifically to protect unpopular speech by unpopular people.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2013, 04:43:49 PM »

I believe one should have the right to be an awful human being without fear of jailtime for their awful beliefs. Obviously this is Austria, not America, but remember that the 1st Amendment was meant specifically to protect unpopular speech by unpopular people.

This. I honestly don't understand how people who support these kinds of laws justify their beliefs intellectually.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »
« Edited: January 11, 2013, 05:00:59 PM by Redalgo »

Aye - I agree completely with you here and, my respect of free speech aside, think it's all the more glorious to see Nazism openly vanquished time and again in the arena of public opinion based on its merits (or lack thereof) than for it to be repressed by the state in a way that leaves any doubt about its popular support, or otherwise emboldens the cadres by making martyrs of their leaders.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies