Official curling thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:39:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Official curling thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Official curling thread  (Read 2279 times)
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 09, 2012, 09:46:38 PM »

I know there are a couple of other curlers on the forum, so I thought I'd start a thread to discuss various curling things.

This week is the European Curling Championships in Sweden. Norway and Sweden are doing well as usual on the men's side, but the big surprise is how terrible Germany and Scotland are doing. The Cezechs have a good record, but I watched them play Sweden on Youtube earlier in the day, and their skip couldn't make a shot to save his life.

On the ladies side, the Russians are having a good tournament, and again what's up with Germany? I guess Andrea is getting too old...
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2012, 03:14:36 AM »

I would be extremely surprised if the winner of the men's tournament weren't Norway or Sweden. The big question, in my opinion, is what team will get the bronze medal. I'd say that Denmark, Switzerland, and, despite their poor start, Scotland still have the best shot at ending up third.

On the other hand, the women's tournament seems to be much more balanced. Before the start of the European's I would have said that Sweden and Switzerland are the clear favorites, with Scotland, Denmark, Germany and Russia being the dark horses. But now it looks like Russia is a very strong contender for gold.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2012, 01:01:17 PM »

Germany is 0-5 in the men's. lol Are we going to see Russia qualify for the men's Worlds for the first time ever? They must've really been working on getting a good team for Sochi.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 01:35:02 PM »

Stupid sport or stupidest sport? Bowls on ice! lol
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 02:22:04 PM »

If there was truth in advertising, it would be hairstyling on ice. Wink
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

Oh Al, I've just lost a lot of respect for you...

Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 02:32:40 PM »

Grin

Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2012, 02:35:00 PM »

Well, curling has a history of being an elite sport. And, it certainly still is in Europe. So, I hope that's where your opposition lies. Smiley

Either that or it's an anti-Scottish thing. Tongue
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 04:10:31 PM »

Now who would have thought that - the Czech men win the bronze medal and Germany is relegated!
The final game between Sweden and Norway will surely be a nailbiter, and I'm not at all surprised that Edin and Ulsrud were once again dominating.
On the other hand, I'm quite disappointed by the performance of the two Swiss teams. Then again, they definitely have the potential to compete for a medal in future tournaments.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:26 PM »

And Russia makes it to the Worlds for the first time ever in men's.  Their women's team is in the final.

Meanwhile in Canada, the Canadian Open is going on. Only one international team (Switzerland's de Cruz) due to the Euros. Kevin Martin is out due to injury. Nice to see Ottawa's John Morris skipping again Smiley
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 02:46:59 PM »

It's Brier week. Alberta is hosting and team Alberta (Kevin Martin) has started badly with a 1-3 record. He needs to win his next games against provinces that are not near the top of standings because on the last day he meets Newfoundland and Ontario who are at the top so far.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 03:11:39 PM »

I'm surprised to see Team Martin so weak. But that just shows how strong Canada is in men's curling. Canada is obviously also very strong in women's curling but not as dominating. I have no doubt Team Homan will be a contender for gold, though. And whoever wins on the men's side is poised to win gold anyway.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2013, 03:19:36 PM »

Team Homan curls out of my club Smiley We were really glued to our tv screens that entire week. I've played against her in the past, they're a good team. They should win the Worlds, the usual good teams (Norberg, Ott) are absent.

What's disappointing is the junior women's, Canada's in 2nd last place right now. ugh... don't think we've ever been that low.

The Brier is interesting... everyone thought it would be Alberta, Ontario and Manitoba, but things are much more interesting.

Thanks for bumping this thread!

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013, 03:37:52 PM »

That's amazing and somewhat funny because Tirinzoni, skip of the Swiss team, curls out of my club. Wink

I certainly think the Canadian women have a good shot at winning gold. However, one big factor will be the ice conditions. It's the first time the world championships are held in Latvia and maybe this country has a few surprises in store ...
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013, 04:57:22 PM »

That's amazing and somewhat funny because Tirinzoni, skip of the Swiss team, curls out of my club. Wink

I certainly think the Canadian women have a good shot at winning gold. However, one big factor will be the ice conditions. It's the first time the world championships are held in Latvia and maybe this country has a few surprises in store ...

Remind me to heckle you when our club mates face off against each other.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »

So they have a bronze medal match in curling? Evil
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2013, 07:49:36 PM »

So they have a bronze medal match in curling? Evil

Yeah; I don't get the joke... Sad
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2013, 09:50:16 AM »

The first draw is over and there are a couple of things that are worthy of notice (thanks to my Eurosport Player subscription I'll be able to watch several games).

- Hardly anyone could have expected that China would go down to Denmark by 4 rocks to 11. I have to see more of Denmark to be able to judge whether they are really that strong or China just missed everything today.
- As expected, Italy is not very strong this year while the experienced US team appears fairly solid.
- Germany's Schöpp can still outplay other main contenders for the title (she beat Russia in a very aggressive game).
- Even though their first game was extremely shaky the Swiss eked out a narrow victory over Japan. However, if they want to go anywhere in this tournament they have to get a grip on the ice really quickly; there were lots of bad sweeping calls and the team struggled with takeouts.
- Japan will probably not be more than a footnote. Too many strategical errors in their game.
- If Canada's Homan is anywhere near her normal level of play, she will crush most of her opponents.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2013, 09:55:40 AM »

Since the other forum curlers are too lazy to post in this thread, I'll do it myself. Wink

We're approaching the end of the round robin so we are entering the decisive phase.
After Draw 13 things look as follows:

1. Scotland and Sweden 7 wins/1 loss
3. Russia 6/2
4. Canada and Switzerland 5/3
6. USA 5/4
7. Japan 4/5
8. China 3/5
9. Germany and Denmark 3/6
11. Italy 2/6
12. Latvia 0/8

Canada and Switzerland are facing off tonight - this game will obviously be extremely important to both teams. Scotland and Sweden look very safe at this point and team USA has to fight hard to stay in touch with the top four.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2013, 09:34:51 PM »

Ha. My club beat your club.

Homan's not been as good as she should be. I thought she'd be walking over the competition, but Sweden and Russia are doing quite well. For Sweden, there's life after Norberg, and Russia are just continuing from their Euro success.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2013, 11:11:58 AM »

Switzerland has to win and the US has to beat Russia for your Swiss ladies to make the playoffs (well, in this cases a 3-way tiebreaker). If Russia wins, there's no tie breakers.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2013, 03:26:21 PM »

Now there's a three-way tie breaker between Switzerland, the US and Russia. Switzerland and Russia play tomorrow morning and the winner of this game will face the US.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2013, 05:53:11 PM »

I'm kind of shocked that we have this many people interested in curling.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #23 on: March 21, 2013, 08:19:30 PM »

I'm kind of shocked that we have this many people interested in curling.

Meh. It's mostly me and ZuWo.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2013, 08:17:31 AM »

Switzerland beats Russia in the first tie breaker. You're still alive, ZuWo! SUI vs USA now.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies