LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:40:05 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 82
Author Topic: LA and NC 2014 Congressional Races  (Read 212868 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1750 on: August 17, 2014, 12:30:19 AM »
« edited: August 17, 2014, 12:33:23 AM by Miles »

Rankings: On the Fix's top 11 Senate seats most likely to flip, NC has dropped to 6 (from 5 last time) while LA remains in 4th place.

LA-05: Yes, he's made his mistakes, but I really like this guy. McAllister thanks Jindal...for not endorsing him.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1751 on: August 17, 2014, 01:15:45 AM »

Well, Democrats absolutely need to win North Carolina if they are to preserve their Senate majority. Essentially - they already lost West Virginia, South Dakota and Montana, and more likely then not to lose Arkansas and (because of run-off system) Louisiana (yes, i like Mary very much, but still - ...). They simply can't afford to lose anything else...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1752 on: August 20, 2014, 10:34:45 AM »
« Edited: August 20, 2014, 10:39:13 AM by Miles »

Well, its filing day in Louisiana! So far, there don't seem to be any surprises, at least in the higher-profile races. Both Landrieu and Cassidy have qualified; no word on Maness yet. I haven't heard reports of Edwards or McAllister yet, but most of the other major players in their respective races have already filed.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1753 on: August 21, 2014, 09:06:19 AM »

LA-06: Dietzel scores a decent endorsement today with Mike Huckabee.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #1754 on: August 21, 2014, 09:18:32 AM »

Dietzel might be looking for C4G, but my guess is they'd be fine with Graves too so they stay out...
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1755 on: August 21, 2014, 10:01:45 AM »
« Edited: August 21, 2014, 10:09:38 AM by Miles »

^ On a somewhat related note, I'm curious of Huckabee actually carried CD6 in 2008. Might have to crunch the numbers Cheesy

NC-Sen: In addition Hagan/Tillis/Haugh, there will be three certified Write-In candidates on the ballot. Overall, it seems like the presence of these guys would hurt Tillis more:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Granted, these guys probably aren't gonna get more than a few thousand votes total, but NC has become so close it could potentially swing the race. David Waddell, the Indian Trail guy, has gotten a fair bit attention for his fluency in Klingon though Wink

LA-Sen: The DSCC has a significant buy here, $2.5M, hitting Cassidy.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1756 on: August 21, 2014, 12:25:12 PM »
« Edited: August 21, 2014, 12:33:01 PM by Miles »

NC-Sen: I'm not sure if this is part of a poll that hasn't been released yet or what, but good news for Hagan if true:

Its good for Hagan that western voters would be less enthusiastic, as the area is one of the more GOP-friendly regions of the state. While the west swung the heaviest to Romney in 2012, most mountain counties also cast fewer votes than they did in 2008, despite statewide turnout increasing 5%.

SUSA has generally shown Hagan's numbers underwater in the Triad, as well.

^ Edit: SUSA did the poll for Suffolk (which was released yesterday).
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1757 on: August 22, 2014, 10:44:05 AM »

LA-05: After qualifying, McAllister took the Ice Bucket Challenge and made a, er, more serious challenge to Jindal:

I, personally, really like this fued between McAllister and Jindal.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1758 on: August 22, 2014, 04:25:07 PM »

LA-05: Here's one for the "filing day surprises" folder: Ex-Rep. Clyde Holloway, who ran last fall, is reportedly filing for the seat again.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1759 on: August 22, 2014, 06:50:04 PM »

^ On a somewhat related note, I'm curious of Huckabee actually carried CD6 in 2008. Might have to crunch the numbers Cheesy

Huckabee actually did worse in the new CD6 than he did statewide:

McCain (blue)- 44.4%
Huckabee (orange)- 38.1%
Romney- 7.5%
Paul- 6.7%
Others- 3.3%

Like Huckabee, I'm expecting Dietzel to do well in Livingston Parish. What killed Huckabee was East Baton Rouge Parish; it cast 72% of the district's votes in this election and McCain won it 47/34. I think EBR's share would be lower in a general election situation, but such turnout would be good for Claitor.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #1760 on: August 23, 2014, 12:51:51 AM »

Republicans are mocking Mary Landrieu for current issues.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1761 on: August 23, 2014, 01:07:26 AM »

^ Those America Rising jackasses are the worst. 'Stupid and disrespectful.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1762 on: August 24, 2014, 12:22:12 AM »

Miles, what's a situation in LA-05 and LA-06 after filing deadline? IMHO, with only one Democrat in LA-05 Mayo has a good chance to get into top 2. If so - who will be second? (Guerriero? Holloway? McAllister? Someone else?) In LA-06 it's probably Edwards vs ? (Claitor? Dietzel? Anyone else?)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1763 on: August 24, 2014, 09:53:27 PM »

^ Smoltchanov, both races are really hard to predict at this point. My friends in the LA Democratic Party say they're strongly committed to Mayo. Whether or not he can win overall is another question, but its pretty clear he's their guy.

I'm almost temped to say Mayo ran to help McAllister, as they have a good relationship. Mayo will have a better effort this time and has a better chance of making the runoff, as he's the sole major Dem. The anti-McAllister vote will probably split enough so that he's still has a 50/50 shot of making the runoff. In a McAllister/Mayo situation, its hard to see Republicans who voted against McAllister in the primary vote for Mayo in the runoff.

If its McAllister vs. another Republican, I think its harder for McAllister. McAllister starts out getting the Democratic floor (30-35%), but turnout will likely be lower and its easy to see most Republicans voting against him. None of the other Republicans should have problems uniting the anti-McAllister vote on the right.

LA-06 is harder yet to predict. The dearth of polling doesn't really help, either. Graves has by far the best fundraising. Graves, Claitor and Dietzel could all end up facing Edwards. I'd still vote for Claitor, but any of those guys have a decent shot.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1764 on: August 24, 2014, 10:16:54 PM »

LA/NC-Sen: As Obama is not popular in southern states, the CBC members are stepping up to fill the void by acting as surrogates to the black community:

smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #1765 on: August 24, 2014, 11:53:58 PM »

Thanks. Miles!
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1766 on: August 25, 2014, 10:56:43 AM »

LA-03: Boustany, though mostly a mainstream Republican, occassionally has penchant for independence. In the recent Whip election, he actually supported the more moderate Pete Roskam over Scalise. Boustany claims he committed to Roskam before Scalise entered, but is nonetheless taking heat from local leaders. Looking longer term, Boustany is looking to expand his profile on Ways and Means.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1767 on: August 26, 2014, 01:15:20 AM »

LA-Sen: Politico occasionally makes quizzes about the lives/careers of certain pols; they've made an edition for Senator Landrieu. It was pretty good; I found out a few things I didn't know.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1768 on: August 26, 2014, 10:46:58 AM »
« Edited: August 26, 2014, 11:00:20 AM by Miles »

NC-Sen: Obama and Hagan will both be addressing the American Legion Convention in Charlotte today. Many are suggesting that Obama's presence is a burden for Hagan, and the Tillis campaign is surely using this to tie them together.

Unfortunetly for Republican operatives, Burr was right next to Hagan when they recieved Obama at the airport.

LA-Sen: Cassidy has finally agreed to a debate (well, at least one). Its set for October 14th in Shreveport.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1769 on: August 26, 2014, 08:09:08 PM »
« Edited: August 26, 2014, 08:11:05 PM by Miles »

NC-Sen: Cillizza agrees with my reasoning the Hagan/Obama/Burr exchange:

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1770 on: August 26, 2014, 08:12:23 PM »

NC-Sen: Cillizza agrees with my reasoning the Hagan/Obama/Burr exchange:

Clearly whether Hagan shook Obama's hand or not should be the top issue of the campaign in the minds of North Carolinians. Wink
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1771 on: August 27, 2014, 10:04:05 AM »

NC-Sen: Gallap finds Democrats hold a 1-point self-idenftification edge over Republicans, 42/41. Still, self-idefictation isn't a perfect indicator of performance: Democrats improved markedly in NC from 2010 to 2012, despite more voters self-ideftying as Republicans in 2012. Another limitation is that Independents are steadily growing their share of the electorate in NC.

More NC-Sen: A few interesting factiods about the ad wars. First, since the start of the year, about $17M has been spent on TV ads. As the race has dragged on, the tone has become increasingly negative; since January, 75% of ads have been negative.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1772 on: August 28, 2014, 09:04:26 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 09:54:19 AM by Miles »

NC-Sen: Tillis has a new ad where he tries to show his more positive side while zinging Hagan. The ad reminds me a lot of one of Ron Johnson's from 2010.

More NC-Sen: The DSCC's last ad here hitting Tillis makes some iffy claims and assumptions:

LA-Sen: Much like Chris McDaniel next door, Maness' campaign is largely being kept afloat by out-of-state donors. Looking at trackable contributions, about 78% of Maness' donations are from non-Lousiana sources.

LA-05: Mary Matalin, James Carville's conservative wife, will be fundrasing for Harris Brown. Matalin has been involved in CD6, too, as she hosted a fundraiser for Graves a month or so ago.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #1773 on: August 28, 2014, 10:25:30 AM »

Miles, what's your take on Maness? Do you think he has a real chance at making the runoff? I would assume he does since a lot of the moderates/pragmatists which would normally be Cassidy's base will be voting for Landrieu in the jungle.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1774 on: August 28, 2014, 10:42:23 AM »
« Edited: August 28, 2014, 10:45:01 AM by Miles »

^ I don't think he makes the runoff; the biggest benefit to Landrieu is that he'll surely prevent Cassidy from winning outright.

This analysis compares Maness to Greg Brannon and I think some of the points are really good. Keep in mind that LA has the highest amount of native-born residents than any state. Maness, despite being from LA, spent most of his career abroad in the Air Force or in DC. Not that I don't admire that, but having weak roots in LA, Maness was (is) be subject to more scrutiny. Even in his ad featuring alligators, he seems unnatural. Brannon was somewhat luckier; he spent most of his career in CA and NY, but NC has a much more open political culture.

The other thing that Maness and Brannon have in common are their endorsements. If either of them had gotten support from local figures, like mayors or sheriffs, it would mean more than someone like Sarah Palin or Ann Coulter. Even Mark Harris, who finished behind Brannon, was able to pick off a few state Senators.

However, I've said for a while that Maness will benefit from the late date of his primary. The SCF, for example, has a million or so in the bank with no one else left to spend it on.
Pages: 1 ... 66 67 68 69 70 [71] 72 73 74 75 76 ... 82  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies