It's official: even Glenn Beck supports gay marriage, now
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 07:05:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  It's official: even Glenn Beck supports gay marriage, now
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: It's official: even Glenn Beck supports gay marriage, now  (Read 1303 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 11, 2012, 02:49:12 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Business Insider

Haha.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »

He's also argued against the Republicans on freedom of speech issues, so he's always been kind of a mixed bag on civil liberties.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2012, 03:27:53 PM »

beck has always been relatively libertarian, so this doesn't surprise me much.
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2012, 03:33:55 PM »

He's said this before, like in 2010, but no one seemed to care. I'm literally 100% in agreement with Glenn on this issue.

Marriage isn't a government issue, and we need to seriously reform the marriage system in this country.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:25 PM »

Well, he's always been a mixed bag of tinfoil-scented nuts, but at least he's fairly consistent along the line of civil liberties.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2012, 03:34:39 PM »

He's said this before, like in 2010, but no one seemed to care. I'm literally 100% in agreement with Glenn on this issue.

Marriage isn't a government issue, and we need to seriously reform the marriage system in this country.

i agree also - i've favoured marriage privatization over just simply legislating gay marriage for some time now.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2012, 04:07:52 PM »

i agree also - i've favoured marriage privatization over just simply legislating gay marriage for some time now.

I've never been able to take this view seriously, because while it's coherent and consistent, there is no feasible political path to getting the large majority of married heterosexuals to concede their government recognition when they are happy with the status quo. Any solution intended to achieve equality for same-sex couples has to work with the system we have.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2012, 04:10:00 PM »

I've never been able to take this view seriously, because while it's coherent and consistent, there is no feasible political path to getting the large majority of married heterosexuals to concede their government recognition when they are happy with the status quo. Any solution intended to achieve equality for same-sex couples has to work with the system we have.

surely marriage is about the symbolism of union though, right? people don't get married out of some towering respect for the state.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2012, 04:46:13 PM »

bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #9 on: December 11, 2012, 05:33:36 PM »

Marriage entitles people to benefits, public and private.  It effects inheritance, child custody, immigration and all these legal issues determined by the government.  Are you saying you would remove all of those legal benefits?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2012, 05:41:41 PM »

He's right...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 05:43:13 PM »

Of course it is.  Marriage is a legal contract regarding the merger of assets, inheritance, taxing, and myriad other issues.  You can't make a contract like that not notarized by the government, it doesn't make sense.

EDIT:  My parents were married by a judge.  Are you saying that they aren't actually "married" because there was no clergy present?
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2012, 05:51:23 PM »

Marriage entitles people to benefits, public and private.  It effects inheritance, child custody, immigration and all these legal issues determined by the government.  Are you saying you would remove all of those legal benefits?

Um... this is an example of a ideological position clashing with reality. The consequences of 'privatising' marriage are pretty fricking wide-ranging.

My view on marriage, especially marriage equality is this... the link between the state and religion should be completely broken. If you wish to have a religious service, it is up to the institution to determine whether to 'marry' you, but it should carry no legal weight, beyond basic common-law marriage. The state should provide either a civil union or marriage, with no exceptions for sexuality, only the civil marriage has any specific legal weight.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2012, 05:54:08 PM »

Don't feel like wikiing his age exactly, but he's young enough that he has to do this. In 10 years, people who were still anti gay marriage in 2012 are going to be so marginalized that nobody will take them seriously. Beck doesn't want those heavy chains around his neck down the road. It's just long term planning. It shows that he has no plans to retire and is not delusional. If people want to seperate civil marriage from religious marriage, it's going to be at the expense of the latter. Chew on that for a minute.
badgate
Junior Chimp

« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2012, 06:01:54 PM »

Should we nullify federal benefits for married couples? Should the federal government delegate the authority of those benefits to states?
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2012, 06:52:49 PM »

Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2012, 07:07:08 PM »

Wow, Glenn Beck said something I agree with! I guess even a conspiracynut clock is right twice a day and all that. Still don't like the Skousenite crank that Beck really is.

Though, since a significant portion of his continued viewership are socially conservative Mormons, I wonder how they'll react.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 05:41:53 PM »

Don't feel like wikiing his age exactly, but he's young enough that he has to do this. In 10 years, people who were still anti gay marriage in 2012 are going to be so marginalized that nobody will take them seriously. Beck doesn't want those heavy chains around his neck down the road. It's just long term planning. It shows that he has no plans to retire and is not delusional. If people want to seperate civil marriage from religious marriage, it's going to be at the expense of the latter. Chew on that for a minute.

The south keeps losing the Civil War over and over again, so I really wish they'd stop fighting it.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 05:54:44 PM »

if you actually read the quote in the OP he doesn't at all say he is in favor of gay marriage, he is opposed to government involvement in defining marriage one way or another or at all.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:16:37 PM »

What!? It's heartening to see more and more people take the sensible position. I've been saying that civil and religious marriages are two similar but different things, and it's high time that we, as Beck suggests, looked at the Constitution. Of course we cannot privatise it because, as the Mikado said, marriage comes with a whole slew of legal and financial ties that really should fall within the government's domain.

I'd repeat what I said before, but then Al would come in barking at me.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 07:07:47 PM »

Didn't Jon Stewart re-title that "Timmy Has Two Daddies Who Are Both Batsh**t Insane" or something like that?
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2012, 09:27:59 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Can you folks concede that the South is right on this one? Or do you have to resort to dirty tricks and gay federal court judges (looking at you California) to overturn the will of the people.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2012, 09:30:18 PM »

Can you folks concede that the South is right on this one?

Why should we? It's not.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2012, 09:37:40 PM »

Quote from: Restricted

Can you folks concede that the South is right on this one? Or do you have to resort to dirty tricks and gay federal court judges (looking at you California) to overturn the will of the people.

STFU & DIAF.

No higher discourse of response would be appropriate, really.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies