Illinois concealed carry ban overturned
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:45:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Illinois concealed carry ban overturned
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Illinois concealed carry ban overturned  (Read 775 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2012, 10:13:24 AM »

Sure, but I don't see how that makes the point hard to see.  Bad guys don't follow rules.  The people that break into your home, rob the gas station, push old ladies down stairs don't care about these laws.  The only people hurt by these laws are people that tend to follow the rules, the bad guys are not restricted by these laws, he doesn't care.  This isn't about at what point a bad guy becomes a bad guy.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2012, 10:21:24 AM »

Sure, but I don't see how that makes the point hard to see.  Bad guys don't follow rules.  The people that break into your home, rob the gas station, push old ladies down stairs don't care about these laws.  The only people hurt by these laws are people that tend to follow the rules, the bad guys are not restricted by these laws, he doesn't care.  This isn't about at what point a bad guy becomes a bad guy.

Are you not giving a future "bad guy" a way to commit his crimes? You don't know in advance who will join the "bad guys".

Arguing that law-abiding citizens need to be armed suggests that it is actually clear who needs them for supposed self-defense reasons. Very simplified way of looking at things, IMO.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2012, 10:46:17 AM »

I'm not arguing anybody needs to be armed, I'm arguing people should be allowed to be armed if they want to be.  I hate the argument "well you just want everybody to carry a gun", always quickly followed with the sarcastic "we'll all be real safe then won't we?".  I don't want everybody to be armed.  Nobody wants everybody to be armed.  I, like you, would prefer nobody be armed, but more importantly, I don't want to take the option away from people that think they need it (unless they've shown through past actions that they shouldn't be allowed around weapons...these people should probably be watched better than they are now).

(and again, I don't care about "future" bad guy or why he chooses to become "bad"...but I'd bet a fair sum of money he doesn't become bad because of easy access to legally purchased firearms)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2012, 02:19:11 PM »

No, I don't think that's a fair comparison. Even if I had moral objections to homosexuality, it's not equivalent to someone having a deadly weapon and having the easy opportunity to kill me.

If someone is planning on killing you, a conceal carry ban ain't gonna save your ass.  Like a Person, I don't think this will have any noticeable effect on crime stats in either direction, but it is one more government intrusion that is curbed, which since I think it is an intrusion that is ineffective in its stated purpose, is a good thing to curb.

From the viewpoint of many conservative Americans, homosexuality is an assault on America itself, rather than just one single person.

Well I think we need to focus on treating mental illness as well, a Person Smiley

So you hold to the old theory that homosexuality is a mental illness? Wink
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2012, 07:44:12 PM »

The interesting thing to watch is whether the IL AG appeals the 7th circuit decision to SCOTUS. I'm guessing that makes some folks in NYC and CA nervous, because one scenario from SCOUTUS could be them upholding the 7th circuit, and at the same time knocking down some of the more restrictive CCW rules in other states. With that in mind IL has to look at trying to pass a set of CCW laws similar to the most restrictive states, or recognize that such restrictions would be blocked in the legislature, leading to an appeal as the better chance of Chicago keeping its desired restrictions in place.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2012, 06:44:33 AM »

I have my doubts that anything restrictive to guns will pass the legislature. My Democratic representation from Madison County would probably rather have a root canal.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2012, 11:08:27 AM »

I have my doubts that anything restrictive to guns will pass the legislature. My Democratic representation from Madison County would probably rather have a root canal.

I think that's true, too, but Chicago/Cook will push against anything that doesn't have restrictions. And if there's no appeal and nothing else passes in 180 days from the ruling, then the current law becomes void and CCW is unrestricted in IL.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies