Hagel to be named Secretary of Defense - BloombergNews
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:30:32 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Hagel to be named Secretary of Defense - BloombergNews
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Hagel to be named Secretary of Defense - BloombergNews  (Read 979 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 13, 2012, 02:00:09 PM »
« edited: December 13, 2012, 02:43:46 PM by Paul Kemp »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
https://twitter.com/BloombergNews/status/279299146706477056

Not a bad choice. Voted for the Iraq War and PATRIOT Act, although he later opposed the war and voted to withdraw troops.

Weren't the rumors that if Kerry wasn't named SoS that he'd get SoD? Hmm....
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2012, 02:56:31 PM »

Hmm, this means Panetta will have been the only Democrat in this office in twenty years.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2012, 03:10:27 PM »

I wish we had a female Secretary of Defense for once
CountryRoads
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2012, 03:17:48 PM »

lol
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2012, 03:20:30 PM »

A solid choice. Sen. Hagel would bring in a critical perspective to the Defense Department, and certainly this would burnish the administration's bi-partisan credentials more substantially than having Ray LaHood in the Transportation Department (where I'd say we need a radical, pro-infrastructure liberal, if anything). Hagel has historically taken a sensible approach to foreign and defense policy, and I think with him in the cabinet Obama might be able to get some of those sorely needed cuts passed through the House. Though one can never underestimate the intransigence of the House GOP, unfortunately.

I really do like what Hagel has been saying about cuts and soft power, and engagement with other nations, which really does underscore the interconnected and inseparable nature of foreign and economic policy. He's one of the key members of the Atlantic Council, which I am a very, very strong supporter of, both in theory, and in regards to the fact I've been to a few of their events here in NYC and I really liked what they had to say. I kind of wish he was going to State, for we might see movement on a Transatlantic Free Trade Area, but it's great to see him in the Administration.
Incipimus iterum
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2012, 03:30:23 PM »

Hagel will be a Excellent Secretary of Defense
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2012, 03:36:20 PM »

Great news!
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2012, 03:57:01 PM »

I really wish the Democratic Party weren't scared of appointing Democrats to the Defense Secretary post.  It looks like an admission that Democrats aren't qualified, when in fact there are many great alternatives like Wesley Clark...um...I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure they exist.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2012, 04:01:06 PM »

I really wish the Democratic Party weren't scared of appointing Democrats to the Defense Secretary post.  It looks like an admission that Democrats aren't qualified, when in fact there are many great alternatives like Wesley Clark...um...I can't think of any at the moment, but I'm sure they exist.

This.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2012, 04:21:54 PM »

"A military strike against Iran, a military option, is not a viable, feasible, responsible option.”--Chuck Hagel.

Freedom Choice.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2012, 04:25:00 PM »

"A military strike against Iran, a military option, is not a viable, feasible, responsible option.”--Chuck Hagel.

Freedom Choice.
Too bad he didn't say that about Iraq in 2003.
hawkeye59
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2012, 04:38:26 PM »

Interestingly, he's Pro-Palestinian, and since Obama's pro-Israel, that could pose a problem if another situation happened in the Gaza.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2012, 04:56:49 PM »

Interestingly, he's Pro-Palestinian, and since Obama's pro-Israel, that could pose a problem if another situation happened in the Gaza.

I don't know where people get this idea from. Hagel has said little about Palestine, and what he has said could hardly be construed as anti-Israeli. It's not as if Hagel is FallenMorgan or anything.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 05:04:50 PM »

What a terrific choice.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2012, 05:10:28 PM »

A solid choice. Sen. Hagel would bring in a critical perspective to the Defense Department, and certainly this would burnish the administration's bi-partisan credentials more substantially than having Ray LaHood in the Transportation Department (where I'd say we need a radical, pro-infrastructure liberal, if anything). Hagel has historically taken a sensible approach to foreign and defense policy, and I think with him in the cabinet Obama might be able to get some of those sorely needed cuts passed through the House. Though one can never underestimate the intransigence of the House GOP, unfortunately.

I think he's a fine choice as well. To be fair on the bipartisanship issue though, remember that Obama did keep Gates for 2.5 years. I would hope you're right that he can possibly get Republicans to agree to defense cuts.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »

Freedom Choice.

Unfortunate.  Still a good choice, though.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2012, 06:13:59 PM »

Freedom Choice.

You want someone that desires war with Iran?
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »

Freedom Choice.

I think he wants someone who's willing to put all options on the table. As anyone should, I would think. I have confidence that Hagel is willing to be pragmatic about the issue, however, and if not Obama's always the commander-in-chief. But let's hope it doesn't come to that in any case.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2012, 06:29:18 PM »

I don't want someone who says it isn't feasible from the start.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2012, 06:32:15 PM »

Maybe my perspective is skewed by the personal feud between Obama and Netanyahu, but hasn't President Obama been one of the least friendly (or at least most skeptical) American President Israel has ever had to deal with since Dwight Eisenhower?  He doesn't exactly strike me as a Zionist sympathizer.  
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2012, 06:51:16 PM »

Maybe my perspective is skewed by the personal feud between Obama and Netanyahu, but hasn't President Obama been one of the least friendly (or at least most skeptical) American President Israel has ever had to deal with since Dwight Eisenhower?  He doesn't exactly strike me as a Zionist sympathizer.  

I'm sure that if Netanyahu didn't act like a spoiled brat during the last four years then Obama's stance would have been indistinguishable from that of his predecessors.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2012, 06:52:39 PM »

I distinctly recall Ehud Barak going on Fareed Zakaria's show not too long ago and saying that Obama was one of the most pro-Israel presidents in recent history, and I've seen nothing to truly contradict that. The idea that Obama is in some way an anti-Israeli leader is nothing more than a right-wing talking point, which like most of them these days, unfortunately, is untrue.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »

Chuck Hagel and John Kerry, huh? It's comeback city for big names in 2004!
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: December 13, 2012, 09:26:41 PM »

Weigel notes that Hagel, as judged by his public statements after he left the Senate, is actually to the left of Panetta on at least two big issues:

link

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »

So Hagel was also involved in the Benghazi coverup Shocked  The plot thickens...
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies