In the wake of the Connecticut shootings, why not Ammunition Control?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:14:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  In the wake of the Connecticut shootings, why not Ammunition Control?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: In the wake of the Connecticut shootings, why not Ammunition Control?  (Read 1009 times)
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 17, 2012, 06:33:12 PM »

After the school shootings in Sandy Hook, Connecticut; there is no argument that guns were used; but these guns were rendered lethal, because they were loaded with ammunition clips, and this Lanza character took the lives of 20 plus kids, his mother included and why? Because of the amendment that defends the right of every citizen to bear arms; we know the same old arguments are going to be employed and once again the Gun lobbyists will win yet another skirmish; okay then, let's not debate on the merits of gun rights vs. gun control; it is not the debate America can afford or needs; I suggest Ammunition Control; you control the sale and distribution of bullets and all forms of ammunition; you side-step the minefield that revolves around Gun control.
Benj

« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2012, 06:56:53 PM »

Various Democratic politicians have been pushing for ammunition control for a while. The NRA and similar organizations have always been opposed, and until now it never had a chance at passing. (Their argument essentially boils down to, "This is just the first step on the road to steal your guns!")

I believe Joe Manchin's statement today endorsed ammunition sale limits, so we'll see if it goes anywhere now.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2012, 07:27:22 PM »

I could see magazine restrictions possibly passing, but not ammo limits.  Even a 100 round at a time limit would be highly intrusive and easily circumvented, yet it wouldn't really do anything since these sorts of out-of-the ordinary sprees generally seen over 100 rounds actually used.  The tragedy in Norway is the only one I can think of off hand that used over 100 rounds.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:46:54 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0Y4qIZ4PA
Benj

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:58:26 PM »

I could see magazine restrictions possibly passing, but not ammo limits.  Even a 100 round at a time limit would be highly intrusive and easily circumvented, yet it wouldn't really do anything since these sorts of out-of-the ordinary sprees generally seen over 100 rounds actually used.  The tragedy in Norway is the only one I can think of off hand that used over 100 rounds.

I believe Manchin was arguing for a sales limit of 30 rounds at one time. Even that seems unnecessarily permissive to me--what is gained by allowing more than maybe 5 or 10 rounds at once? While I agree that a really dedicated person/organization could just go around to many different gun stores or purchase ammunition over a period of months or years, it does at least make short-term planning for these sorts of things more difficult.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:35:37 PM »

Benj, I can easily see someone using 100 rounds or more at a time doing target practice.  Unless we take the draconian step of only allowing target practice at government licensed target ranges, it just ain't practical to have such a small limit and 30 is utterly absurd.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2012, 01:02:28 AM »

Plus, it's pretty easy to reload your own.  Much easier than making your own gun or growing your own weed.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2012, 01:26:17 AM »

I don't see how an across the board limit on ammunition is going to work.  As said previously, target practice requires a lot of ammunition.  And there's going to be a black market and strategic purchasing which would circumvent point of purchase restrictions.

I would prefer regulating the types of ammunition available to the public.  I don't see why people need exploding or incendiary ammunition.  There's also probably room to curtail hollow point bullets.
heatmaster
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2012, 04:04:21 PM »

So the argument is to do nothing for fear of failure, what a crock; not trying is worse than ignoring the problem; a debate needs to go forward; sure the NRA will offer the same old hackneyed arguments, why not? if it works, then it's a no brainer; the whole principle of Ammunition control, is to side-step the wording, "right to bear arms": if you tell the NRA, we don't question your constitutional right to own or buy guns; but you impose strict limits on the sale of bullets, there category, the distribution of ammunition clips; you profile the buyers of bullets and ammunition; essentially you apply strict quarantine's on the sale of bullets at the point of origin (licensed sellers). There should be a 48-hour waiting period imposed; and if a buyer of bullets and ammunition can verify they are not a danger to the community, you police the use of guns and bullets, but not the restriction of gun ownership. Avoid gun-control arguments at all costs.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies