Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:59:21 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 27920 times)
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #275 on: December 15, 2012, 06:14:23 PM »

Why do people act like it would be so easy to get an illegal gun if the most deadly guns were illegal?  I agree it would be possible for years, until the police eventually confiscate them all, but I definitely don't think it would be easy.  I think most people don't really have any idea where to find an illegal gun...
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #276 on: December 15, 2012, 06:27:47 PM »

Why is it most liberals seem to focus on gun control, and gloss over better mental health treatment, as the most effective solution to this problem?   They seem to hardly even mention it. 

The real issue here. And it's not just liberals glossing over it.

It's perhaps the "real" issue regarding sudden mass killings like this, I won't disagree with that. But gun control is sorely lacking and even if it wouldn't stop the most determined mass murderers, it'd make it more difficult and it'd certainly stop a lot of the less publicized killings that happen across America.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #277 on: December 15, 2012, 06:36:07 PM »

Why do people act like it would be so easy to get an illegal gun if the most deadly guns were illegal?  I agree it would be possible for years, until the police eventually confiscate them all, but I definitely don't think it would be easy.  I think most people don't really have any idea where to find an illegal gun...

It's not at all difficult to acquire marijuana despite decades of prohibition.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #278 on: December 15, 2012, 06:37:22 PM »

Can you grow guns in your closet?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #279 on: December 15, 2012, 07:09:34 PM »

It is not very difficult at all to make guns out of common household objects (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Improvised_firearm). You can find guides online on how they are made. Generally they are less reliable than professional weapons (and frequently must be loaded one-shot-at-a-time), but on the other hand it's easy to disguise them as other objects, especially flashlights.

The more significant issue is that, like marijuana, the government is losing a large source of taxable revenue; that the government, by banning it would make the quality worse and the object more dangerous to the user; that criminal groups would gain power by successfully selling guns; and that the government really couldn't ban it anyway, because of cultural norms (which doesn't really apply to marijuana; there aren't broad swathes of the country where simply due to the composition of the population anti-marijuana laws go unenforced, but such an area would exist for anti-gun laws).

If gun-trade-gangs are anywhere near as successful as, say, drug dealers, it wouldn't even be that hard to find a professionally made weapon (especially considering way more people want guns than drugs) -- certainly if you're persistent enough and are surrounded by like-minded people, even in very urban areas it can't be that hard to find a friend of a friend.

It is impossible to effectively ban guns in the US, and were such laws to be enacted the effects would largely be negative ones. It is possible in theory to enact stricter gun control laws than exist today, but in practice that's also impossible because (to cite an example) a smaller percentage of the population want stronger gun control laws than voted for McCain (who is, I shall remind you, considered to have lost 'in a landslide').
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #280 on: December 15, 2012, 07:17:09 PM »

It's about as easy to manufacture a gun in your garage as it would be to grow marijuana there. Both require technical knowledge that's available on the Internet and materials that are readily available.
Fmr. Pres. Duke
AHDuke99
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -3.13

P P
« Reply #281 on: December 15, 2012, 08:17:38 PM »

None of us are criminals. I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard if you were driven enough to find a gun.

But that's not even the point behind this. These things happen mainly due to the 24/7 news media that glorify these killers, talk about them, try to explain them. They do it to get back at those who somehow made their lives miserable and to make a name for themselves. That's why drives these killers. Gun control, etc, is nice to talk about, but it's not the root of the problem. Banning guns wouldn't likely stop these mass killing sprees.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #282 on: December 15, 2012, 09:01:54 PM »

We don't need to ban guns, but we need to change the gun culture. I agree banning it is not the answer because all that will do it make it more "cool" to have a gun. What needs to change is the easy access to guns those with mental issues have. We don't know if this guy could have purchased a gun on his own if he was old enough, but yet he had easy access to guns because his mom had 3. Why did she own so many? Why do so many people own guns? Was she going hunting in suburban CT? Did she really need protection in that town?

The gun culture is what needs to change, and you don't change that by banning them. Make it a faux pas to own guns. Instead of people celebrating gun culture, make it a signifier of low life culture. Maybe that can change things.  I know this is all fantasy and that it will never happen in "muhrica" but it's our only chance. The reason the crazies have such easy access to guns is not because people are selling it to them (which likely isn't that difficult to do either in this great nation of ours), but because guns are freaking everywhere. All you need to do is just steal a family members gun when you need some mass killing to do.

Also how easy would it be to catch this guy as someone with a mental problem? How socially awkward was he? Or should we ban access to guns for all socially awkward people? Lots of people are saying he was a genius...but was he in college? If not, why not? We need to understand what makes people like him snap.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #283 on: December 15, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »

and gloss over better mental health treatment

Do we even know if this latest spree killer was even within the system?

And that's part of the problem, isn't it?  Those who need treatment don't get it. 

what if they don't want 'treatment'?  shall we force it on people en masse?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #284 on: December 15, 2012, 09:40:09 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2012, 09:48:03 PM by Governor Scott »

Westboro Baptist Church is currently planning a protest this month.  Hoping I get to go to the human chain/counter-protest...
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #285 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:25 AM »

If you have a 3D printer, you can create your own guns now.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #286 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »

Westboro Baptist Church is currently planning a protest this month.  Hoping I get to go to the human chain/counter-protest...

I suppose it's better than I do not say what I think about that besides saying they're only one slight step above Lanza on the ladder of human filth.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #287 on: December 16, 2012, 12:49:24 AM »

It is somewhat ironic that some folks that staunchly support drug legalization because "people will get drugs anyway and prohibition doesn't work" also believe that prohibition on guns will work well.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #288 on: December 16, 2012, 01:06:17 AM »

I hate how much the media is talking about the killer. It's like this with every shooting tragedy - the killer gets talked about constantly, while less is said about the victims. Instead of going out as a nobody, he will be a household name now.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #289 on: December 16, 2012, 01:09:11 AM »

This is worth taking a look at: http://thebluereview.org/i-am-adam-lanzas-mother/
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #290 on: December 16, 2012, 01:11:27 AM »

Wow.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #291 on: December 16, 2012, 02:48:20 AM »

It is somewhat ironic that some folks that staunchly support drug legalization because "people will get drugs anyway and prohibition doesn't work" also believe that prohibition on guns will work well.

I would support drug legalization even if the government was able to magically keep everyone from getting any drugs at all.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #292 on: December 16, 2012, 02:51:29 AM »

The question should also be asked why his mother had purchased 6 (assault) rifles and handguns when it was clear that her kid was "not normal". But sometimes mothers are quite blind and think their kid is the cutest and nicest thing on earth and will do anything for them.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #293 on: December 16, 2012, 03:26:21 AM »

It'd be nice if we could at least have a national discussion about some of these issues. No, it's not too soon to have at least have a discussion, as so many try to shut down from the start. (I'm looking at groups such as the NRA on that one.) The time to do something was a long time ago, but there are things to be done in order to prevent the next tragedy. I'm not one to say we need to do one thing or the other (I don't know what we specifically need to do), but we need to at least discuss these issues and figure out what needs to done. There is a massive failure of leadership in this country when it comes to figuring out solutions to these problems. We need to look at everything and take some rational actions in this country.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #294 on: December 16, 2012, 09:18:08 AM »

It's worth pointing out, just as a hypothetical, that if certain types of guns were banned - genuinely banned - in the entire U.S, then you would eventually see a lot less of them as less would be manufactured due to the collapse of the domestic market for them.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #295 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »

The question should also be asked why his mother had purchased 6 (assault) rifles and handguns when it was clear that her kid was "not normal".
While everyone who goes on such an effective rampage has previously learned to shoot well, not everyone learned it from his parents. That's really all there is to say on that score.
Grumpier Than Thou
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States
Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #296 on: December 16, 2012, 09:36:00 AM »

Why is it most liberals seem to focus on gun control, and gloss over better mental health treatment, as the most effective solution to this problem?   They seem to hardly even mention it. 

Thank you.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #297 on: December 16, 2012, 11:19:37 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 11:24:14 AM by Harry »

Even more ironically, the same people who say all guns have to be legal because people will still be able to get them will NEVER acknowledge that women will still have abortions if abortions are illegal.
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #298 on: December 16, 2012, 11:51:52 AM »

Thank you.
Yes, when will those darn Democrats start trying to make access to health care for all a priority Roll Eyes
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #299 on: December 16, 2012, 12:14:13 PM »

Westboro Baptist Church is currently planning a protest this month.  Hoping I get to go to the human chain/counter-protest...

I suppose it's better than I do not say what I think about that besides saying they're only one slight step above Lanza on the ladder of human filth.

^^^^^^
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 [12] 13 14  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies