Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 06:25:10 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 28142 times)
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« on: December 14, 2012, 05:39:12 PM »

I haven't read enough about this horrible, horrible case but is it the case that the suspected shooter actually had publicly known mental health issues before this? Because that hasn't been the case with many of these spree shooters.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 05:46:22 PM »

I haven't read enough about this horrible, horrible case but is it the case that the suspected shooter actually had publicly known mental health issues before this? Because that hasn't been the case with many of these spree shooters.

and, again I reiterate, we are talking about a place where it is more normal to be deemed psychiatrically abnormal than otherwise.

You live in a society - as do I - where nobody wants to be normal. Yet most of us are, funny that, isn't it?

But I can't think of a single spree shooting in Irish history. What is wrong with you people?
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 05:48:41 PM »

Of course, at the risk of 'politicizing' this tragedy (ha!), I will note that most of the mental discussion seems to be of the "Can we please not talk about guns?" nature.

Of course, when guns are fetishized the ultimate security agent - none of the 'social security' thank you, sir - that expression of pathological individualism like this are always more likely to occur. What did Homer Simpson say? "[When a holding gun] I must feel like God does, when he holds a gun".
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 05:51:51 PM »

And, oh yeah, RIP to everyone. This is simply terrible.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 09:34:53 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2012, 09:54:15 AM by Japhy Ryder »

The Colorado shooter was receiving psychiatric care and it didn't stop him.
Which is why my previous argument that gun control measures that keep guns away from the mentally ill are a good idea.

Except that there is no reliable way of measuring if someone is mentally ill or not and in many of these cases, the spree killer's 'mental illness' is only apparent after he (it's always a he) has already gone on the rampage. In practice, such a law would either require investment on a level that isn't even comtemplatable (Do you want everyone to have their own personal shrink? On the government dime, too!) or, infinitely more likely, just an excuse to go after 'Weirdos'.

Also what Lewis and Tweed said.
Tetro Kornbluth
Gully Foyle
Atlas Icon
Ireland, Republic of

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »

Yeah, there have certainly been cases in which the godawful state of mental health 'treatment' in the U.S has clearly contributed to a massacre (I dimly recall that being the case in the VA Tech thing anyway

I'm actually pretty ignorant about this, so cite?

I mean everytime I read about Autism or other mental health issues on blogs or articles by Americans I do get the desire to punch things (unless it is written by actual 'sufferers') but I don't know much about the information about treatment except that the writers of the DSM-V need to go DIAF. 

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This. Good lord this.

Anyway mental health issues do not really explain why these things only frequently occur in the United States.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies