Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 07:04:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 28149 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« on: December 14, 2012, 12:51:34 PM »

At a primary school!? Wtf?

I'm not going to even speculate what the hell happened here until these news agencies agree on the number of dead and the number of shooters.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:17:04 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 07:13:06 PM by Former Moderate »

I hate to have to ask this, but don't American schools all have some kind of campus police / security people running around. Or does that not apply to primary schools?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 02:18:04 PM »

I don't think any gun control would stop these kind of things... they'll just find a different weapon.

My thoughts and prayers are with the victims.

Do you really think he could have knifed 27 people to death?
With a sword and in a crowded area, maybe.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:53:08 PM »

Not sure if this is the same guy as pictured above but...

That is the guy in the FOX picture.

So I suppose FOX is lying?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »

Yeah, that's a different picture. Different person, presumably. Might be the right one.

But that's not a picture FOX (or the other ones, either) would feel as comfortable using. Doesn't put a face on things, as it were.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 03:23:44 PM »

That was after I opened his link, and therefore also after he posted it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 03:33:03 PM »

It looks like the first one.  His Facebook page is down, and there were no updates.
I think it's pretty clear by now that it's not either of those two people. Not everybody has a social page on the internet, you know.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 03:40:09 PM »

Hmmm, I see a lot of pearl-clutching around here from my comment. I bet there was the same reaction from those people when the usual right-wingers said seriously the exact same thing that I said sarcastically.

They don't post here, you do......stfu
Meh, I'd've left the last four letters off, but otherwise you stole my comment. Sad
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 09:27:56 AM »

The question should also be asked why his mother had purchased 6 (assault) rifles and handguns when it was clear that her kid was "not normal".
While everyone who goes on such an effective rampage has previously learned to shoot well, not everyone learned it from his parents. That's really all there is to say on that score.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 02:01:59 PM »

Why is it most liberals seem to focus on gun control, and gloss over better mental health treatment, as the most effective solution to this problem?   They seem to hardly even mention it. 
Because nobody - literally nobody - knows what that would even mean.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 10:50:44 AM »

With regards to a point made earlier, it's worth noting that the big mental hospitals were shut down in more countries than just the U.S in the 80s and 90s ('care in the community' and so on) and that, whatever the merits or otherwise of this policy, no other Western country has this... problem.
Actually... looking through the lists I find on wikipedia I find my suspicion confirmed that Germany (and Finland, too, I notice) is closer to the US than to the rest of Western Europe on this.
One of the reasons why these things happen is simply that there's an established pattern of these things happening. Everyone's heard of them.
(Though handgun ownership is relatively widespread and hasslefree in Germany by Western European standards. Though a lot less so than in Switzerland and Austria.)

You can make them, and a whole bunch of nastier stuff, out of things around the house.
Not high quality ones. Takes an expert with expert tools to calibrate the aim.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 11:19:48 AM »

You can make them, and a whole bunch of nastier stuff, out of things around the house.
Not high quality ones. Takes an expert with expert tools to calibrate the aim.

The guns, yes.  The explosives, no, as Timothy McVeigh proved. 
Exactly, and I did get you meant explosives by "nastier stuff". But the discussion here was about guns.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2012, 11:57:10 AM »

You'd be surprised.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2012, 12:38:53 PM »

Yeah, no one would bother to import weed (as opposed to hashish) to the Rhein Main area anymore. We grow our own.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2012, 11:38:57 AM »

Wait, nobody died in the Chinese school knifing incident? That sure isn't how the pro gun lobby was spinning it. If only Lanza had only had a knife...

Lanza only got into the building because he shot the locks on the door, so yes, there would not have even been an incident with a knife.

Unless he broke a window with the pommel. 

A serious question, from someone who lives in the supposedly bad neighborhood in the supposedly bad city.  Does anyone remember of an incident like this, a school shooting happening in a city?
Erfurt. Not a megalopolis or anything, but certainly a city.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies