Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:45:44 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 28166 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« on: December 15, 2012, 07:58:33 AM »

As demonstrated by this and many other recent incidents, male violence is a real problem in society.

?
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2012, 08:15:55 AM »

i don't see how gender has anything to do with this. i do see how the fact it's so easy to get a deadly weapon does.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2012, 08:27:56 AM »

i don't see how gender has anything to do with this. i do see how the fact it's so easy to get a deadly weapon does.
Cmon. Has where ever been a female school shooter? If so, at least the gender ratio regarding mass murder is extremely skewed.

i'm sure there has, somewhere in the world. and yes, it is skewed, but what's your point? the best thing to do with regards to that would be to stop encouraging males to be aggressive and competitive, but we can't have that. that would be too threatening to the status quo.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2012, 08:38:02 AM »

Cmon. Has where ever been a female school shooter? If so, at least the gender ratio regarding mass murder is extremely skewed.

i'm sure there has, somewhere in the world. and yes, it is skewed, but what's your point? the best thing to do with regards to that would be to stop encouraging males to be aggressive and competitive, but we can't have that. that would be too threatening to the status quo.

Well, yeah. What amused me is that Ronnie's attempt at reductio ad absurdum failed because the 'absurdum' was in fact another entirely legitimate and serious social problem--namely the connection between violence and constructions of masculinity in not only America but a wide variety of countries and cultures throughout the world.

i think it's linked to this inherently destructive belief that competition is good and natural though and that co-operation is some kind of pipe dream. it's encouraged through masculinity, and the very narrow spectrum with which males can express themselves - i know first hand how much those expectations can be damaging.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 10:01:38 AM »

I'm sure there has, somewhere in the world. and yes, it is skewed, but what's your point? the best thing to do with regards to that would be to stop encouraging males to be aggressive and competitive, but we can't have that. That would be too threatening to the status quo.
Well, why not try? As a general rule countries with macho cultures are more violent than countries with less aggressive ideals of masculinity. Of course Norway, which is far from being a macho country, produced Breivik, so it wouldn't solve the problem but its worth considering.
The US ideal of masculinity is pretty aggressive and it might be at least part of the explanation why these things occur so much in the States combind with others factors such as lack of mental health care, easy availability of guns and a highly competitive social model that produces a high amount of losers and alienated people.
It is of course a difficult issue because being competitive and (therefore to a certain extent aggressive) is also a trait that is highly beneficial in the economy, development of science etc., but ideally it should be possible to foster a low-aggression competitive spirit.
At least there is no prove that less aggressive cultures cant compete with more macho cultures internationally.

For the record: I know that you cant just "change" a whole culture, but this is an aspect worth looking into.

i know, i was saying that in the eyes of those who control education, government etc. it's too threatening to them to have the idea of co-operation. i'm strongly in favour of trying to blur the boundaries of gender and have a society where people can identify however they want. strongly defined systems which encourage competition and aggression will always lead to sick societies such as the ones we live in today.
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 04:25:48 AM »

It is somewhat ironic that some folks that staunchly support drug legalization because "people will get drugs anyway and prohibition doesn't work" also believe that prohibition on guns will work well.

guns make you a far greater risk to other people than drugs.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies