Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 01:55:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Shooting at CT elementary school leaves at least 27 dead, 18 of them children  (Read 28179 times)
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: December 14, 2012, 02:09:57 PM »

This country has a real fcuking problem. This goes beyond guns.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 02:19:00 PM »

I hate to have to ask this, but don't American schools all have some kind of campus police / security people running around. Or does that not apply to primary schools?

No. My HS had an unarmed security officer who probably would've had a heart attack if there was a shooting but was cut for budget reasons.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 02:31:05 PM »

How about we don't release the shooter's name and photo? Let's not give him the notoriety most of these monsters want.

Of course, this is impossible with the vultures that are the 24 hour news media. 
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 02:34:28 PM »

Not sure if this is the same guy as pictured above but...

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »

See my post above. Same picture; wrong guy.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2012, 02:40:25 PM »

They're vultures by giving these guys exactly what they want. There's blood on their hands.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2012, 02:48:54 PM »

That wasn't my source.  The twitter is a different guy, a skate boarder.  

You posted the link, dude.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 02:59:37 PM »

Probably just jumping to conclusions in the pursuit of a story. The "shoot first, ask questions later" mentality that mainstream media practices so often.

I don't know the authenticity on the screenshots so for all I know that could be his picture but let's pump the breaks a little bit.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 03:09:55 PM »

And plus, the person in that Twitter picture looks like a mid-teen, not a twenty something.

How about we just post links to all of the Ryan Lanza's in the world and get it out of the way?
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 03:30:44 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 03:33:28 PM by Paul Kemp »

It looks like the first one.  His Facebook page is down, and there were no updates.

How about you stop trying to play internet detective and just let everything play out?

Also, do you have a link for that? As his page was private, I'm curious how you know that. The screenshots posted were from those who were apparently Facebook friends and went to Quinni with him.

http://gawker.com/5968551/this-ryan-lanza-facebook-profile-is-the-connecticut-shooter-stuff-is-ing-up-everything

I'm not saying this can't be some sort of hoax by some fcuked up individuals but let's wait before throwing things out there.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 03:37:24 PM »
« Edited: December 14, 2012, 03:42:29 PM by Paul Kemp »

I do spend most of my time playing "Internet detective."  

Well you aren't a very good one, Lt. Dangle.

If he were still on Facebook, it would appear.  

Not if he disabled it, which he couldn't do...if he was DEAD.

Also, New York Post (take with that what you will) is now reporting the shooter was an ADAM Lanza.

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/potential_connecticut_school_shooting_8HMOSbP38TXwSYYsVGkYLO

Quick! Every one look up all the Adam Lanzas we can find!!!
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2012, 03:41:57 PM »

There was actually a guy named Giovanni Lanza who was the Prime Minister of Italy from 1869-1873 ...

What on earth does this have to do with anything?

But how many times must this happen? How many times must innocents die until we wake up and say "enough is enough"! People say it's disrespectful to make this political so soon, and really what they mean is that it's bad business to talk about gun control, ever. What's disrespectful is never looking at the issue in the face and deciding to do something for once. America needs to talk gun control. Now. Not tomorrow. Not next year. Now.

How many people must die so that some can maintain the delusion that their "constitutional" right to overthrow the government can be maintained?

Simfan, I know I've been tough on you but I commend you for this post.

I'm not saying one has to be pro or anti gun control but we need a strong national dialogue on this, including guns, mental health, and the society that we live in.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2012, 03:47:44 PM »

If he were still on Facebook, it would appear.  

Not if he disabled it, which he couldn't do...if he was DEAD.

The site would, in the case of someone notorious (though there already a fake profile on him).

As for him living in the area, at least at some point, I checked an on-line telephone book and found someone of that name living in the area.  Lanza isn't exactly "Smith."

We've already determined that there's a Ryan Lanza in the area but what about every thing else?

Also, there are the reports that it was an ADAM Lanza and that Ryan is his brother.

Either way, why do we need to see his Facebook? Besides you of course being able to say "hey look what I found! I can use Google!"...

Why, J. J.?  What are you trying to achieve?

It's just another exercise in his inability to admit he's wrong when he's wrong.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2012, 04:09:17 PM »

with all of life now filtered through these screens, these media forms, it isn't real for me, I can say that.  this is no different than watching people play roles in a movie, and I will have energy for listening to the details.

Right here, folks, is part of the problem.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2012, 05:42:50 PM »

I haven't read enough about this horrible, horrible case but is it the case that the suspected shooter actually had publicly known mental health issues before this? Because that hasn't been the case with many of these spree shooters.

No, nothing has been said in that regard. They haven't even publicly ID'd the suspect yet; just "reports."
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2012, 12:03:51 AM »

Turns out the shooter's mother didn't actually work at the school, which makes it slightly more disturbing...

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://blogs.wsj.com/metropolis/2012/12/14/details-emerge-about-family-of-suspected-newtown-school-gunman/?KEYWORDS=TAMER+EL-GHOBASHY
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2012, 12:45:49 AM »
« Edited: December 15, 2012, 12:49:45 AM by Paul Kemp »

I don't think it makes it any more disturbing.  It's not like I'm going "Oh thank God.. he only shot 20 children and 6 adults because he was aiming for his mom, who worked there."

Yes but there would be a small amount of logic if that was the case. I'm not saying it makes a huge difference but to go out of your way to kill a group of innocent children you have no connection to (as far as we know so far) is just . . . I don't even know . . . but it's not that same.

No one would find comfort or justification in those details. That's not what I was saying.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2012, 02:56:58 PM »

You all are missing the point. Gun control would not have stopped this from happening. This is a psychological issue in which people who are deeply sick are going unnoticed or unchecked by their families. Or they know something is wrong and just didn't do anything about it. Even if we have strict controls in place he'd still get his gun and he'd still kill those kids.

This is a cultural thing in America. It isn't simply about our laws. Thinking its just a political problem is way too simplistic.

I agree 100%.

There is a sickness to our society and the problem is that there's no sure fire antidote.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 12:18:49 AM »

Westboro Baptist Church is currently planning a protest this month.  Hoping I get to go to the human chain/counter-protest...

I suppose it's better than I do not say what I think about that besides saying they're only one slight step above Lanza on the ladder of human filth.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 03:38:29 PM »

Do people really not review at least the last page of a thread before posting?

Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 04:21:14 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/agents-visit-conn-gun-shops-after-school-massacre
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 05:45:46 PM »

It's a multi-faceted problem, perhaps largely cultural, and trivializing it by clinging to one aspect or the other as the Eureka moment isn't going to stop the next guy.

Exactly.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies