Gov. Chafee (I-RI) open to running as a Democrat in 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:53:35 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Gov. Chafee (I-RI) open to running as a Democrat in 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Lincoln Chafee will:
run for reelection as an Independent

run for reelection as a Democrat

run for reelection as a Republican

not run for reelection

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 36

Author Topic: Gov. Chafee (I-RI) open to running as a Democrat in 2014  (Read 1937 times)
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2012, 01:30:38 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Read more at http://www.wpri.com/dpp/news/local_news/providence/gov-chafee-open-to-running-as-democrat
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 01:35:48 AM »
« Edited: December 16, 2012, 01:37:56 AM by Maxwell »

Wouldn't be surprised if he ran as a Democrat, though I'm not sure he would win a primary.

Also, at this point, not only does he not agree with Republicans on at least 80% of the issues, but he also hates the way the party is, so no way does he run as a Republican again ever.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 01:40:30 AM »

I think he will definitely join the Democratic Party as well as run as one -it's the path of least resistance, and I think he will find himself at home there as well. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:31:42 AM »

I wonder how often he and Charlie Crist talk.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 06:05:35 AM »

Chafee is a fair bit left to Crist.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 11:17:48 AM »

He will almost certainly run as a Democrat.
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »

It depends on if he'd have a strong primary challenger or not.

Rhode Island hasn't had a Democratic governor in 20 years, so it's still not like he'd be a shoe-in.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:27:27 AM »

Rhode Island hasn't had a Democratic governor in 20 years, so it's still not like he'd be a shoe-in.

The elections have all been very close though, kind of like the opposite situation in the state of Washington and Oregon.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 12:35:01 AM »

He will almost certainly run as a Democrat.

Considering how very unpopular he is, that would be pretty horrible for the local Democratic Party. If he wins, a sufficiently moderate Republican (like, say, Robitaille) could win by running against Chafee; were he to run as an independent, a Democrat could run as anti-Chafee and thereby keep the seat in leftist hands. The threat of a primary challenge may yet scare him away, though considering how staunchly the Administration supports him for some reason, it also may not...
Blue3
Starwatcher
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2012, 02:55:37 AM »
« Edited: December 17, 2012, 02:57:49 AM by Starwatcher »

Democrats in Rhode Island aren't necessarily leftist... Chafee was more liberal than the Democrat in '10, and probably more liberal than most if not all of the Democratic nominees of the last few decades.

And the General Assembly will stay Democratic no matter what, so we never have to worry about total GOP control, just GOP governors.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2012, 03:00:46 AM »

Somewhere, the Republican Party of Rhode Island is singing a hallelujah chord.
rejectamenta
Botswana

« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2012, 03:30:04 AM »

"My change in party will enable me to be re-electedddd."
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2012, 04:37:02 PM »

I could see him running as a Democrat or Independent, but he may not even run at all.  If he does, then I hope he stays an Independent.  If it weren't for the ideological purity hacks in the GOP, he might still be a Republican today.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2012, 04:39:14 PM »

Right, it will be 20 years by the end of Chafee's next term.  But even if he runs he will probably lose (at least if his job approval is as low as I hear it is).
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2012, 04:47:34 PM »

I could see him running as a Democrat or Independent, but he may not even run at all.  If he does, then I hope he stays an Independent.  If it weren't for the ideological purity hacks in the GOP, he might still be a Republican today.

Nah, Chafee had to go. From what I remember, he voted against his party nearly every single time. Sure, you can tolerate moderates. However, the man was clearly well outside the bounds of anything moderate. Hell, if I'm right, he voted against the Iraq War, which would put him to the left of friggin' John Kerry.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2012, 05:03:22 PM »

Nah, Chafee had to go. From what I remember, he voted against his party nearly every single time. Sure, you can tolerate moderates. However, the man was clearly well outside the bounds of anything moderate. Hell, if I'm right, he voted against the Iraq War, which would put him to the left of friggin' John Kerry.

Yes, a shame the man voted against a war that proved extraordinarily expensive, unusually unpopular, and completely unwarranted given that they never found those "weapons of mass destruction."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2012, 05:14:49 PM »

Yes, a shame the man voted against a war that proved extraordinarily expensive, unusually unpopular, and completely unwarranted given that they never found those "weapons of mass destruction."

That's not the point I'm trying to make, and I thought you'd know better than that. The point is that the man opposed his party at every turn, to the point of being tot he left of a number of Democrats. Sure, you can have moderates (as your name indicates) however, the man was far outside the bounds of even the most "moderate" of moderates.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »

Lincoln Chaffee only agreed with the Republicans on the Patriot Act and maybe on School Vouchers.
RogueBeaver
Atlas Star
Canada
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »

Dunno what would happen here. Ideally a Pub win, but if not then I'd be quite OK with Raimondo.
Ember
EmberFour
Rookie
United States

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2012, 11:47:40 PM »

Chafee running in the Democratic primary seems like a sure thing to me, but making it out of the primary, only plausible.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies