Office of ZuWo - Fresh start in the Pacific!
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:17:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of ZuWo - Fresh start in the Pacific!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20
Author Topic: Office of ZuWo - Fresh start in the Pacific!  (Read 33189 times)
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2013, 02:19:47 PM »

Maybe we could do Atlas elections on Survey Monkey Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2013, 02:21:49 PM »

Maybe we could do Atlas elections on Survey Monkey Wink

Not a bad idea in principle. Wink But the general problem with off-site election is the question of how we can make sure that only people who are registered in Atlasia cast a ballot.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2013, 02:46:04 PM »
« Edited: April 29, 2013, 02:48:46 PM by ZuWo »

Mideast Gubernatorial Debate

I am glad to announce that Clinton1996 and I have agreed to hold a gubernatorial debate. Many thanks to Gass3268 for declaring his willingness to moderate it! The details of the debate are still being worked out, but we can tentatively say that the debate will begin next weekend. Smiley

Details of Assemblyman ZuWo's debate preparation plans will not be published, but it has been revealed that a relatively unknown, yet aspiring young politician from a small city in Arkansas will take on the role of ZuWo's sparring partner.  
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2013, 03:05:07 PM »

ZuWo, I figure I'll ask you the same question that I asked Lt. Gov Clinton, re: labor relations. As I am running for the Mideast Assembly at the moment, I have plans, if elected, to introduce an amendment to the Labor Relations Act which would ban the use of strikebreakers (aka scabs) by employers. Would you support such legislation as Governor?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2013, 03:31:43 PM »

ZuWo, I figure I'll ask you the same question that I asked Lt. Gov Clinton, re: labor relations. As I am running for the Mideast Assembly at the moment, I have plans, if elected, to introduce an amendment to the Labor Relations Act which would ban the use of strikebreakers (aka scabs) by employers. Would you support such legislation as Governor?

Thanks for the question. I must admit that I'm not familiar with this concept - there are hardly any large-scale strikes in my home country let alone strikebreakers of the kind you mention - so I have some reading up to do before I can give you an informed answer. I will get back to you as soon as I know more about "scabs" and how they are used.
One thing is clear to me, though: I do not want to punish those workers who for some reason decide not to participate in a strike and want to continue their work even when their colleagues are on strike (I'm referring to workers who were already employed before the beginning of the strike here - I guess the term "scab" doesn't apply in this context).
TNF
Atlas Icon

« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2013, 04:25:37 PM »

Thanks for the question. I must admit that I'm not familiar with this concept - there are hardly any large-scale strikes in my home country let alone strikebreakers of the kind you mention - so I have some reading up to do before I can give you an informed answer. I will get back to you as soon as I know more about "scabs" and how they are used.
One thing is clear to me, though: I do not want to punish those workers who for some reason decide not to participate in a strike and want to continue their work even when their colleagues are on strike (I'm referring to workers who were already employed before the beginning of the strike here - I guess the term "scab" doesn't apply in this context).

Thank you for your timely response, ZuWo! I like your platform a lot, and while I am as of yet undecided in how I will vote for the Governorship, I feel like we would be able to work together, ideological differences aside.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #131 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:28 PM »
« Edited: April 30, 2013, 01:42:36 PM by ZuWo »

I have done some research on the topic of strikebreakers and have come to the conclusion that I would rather not ban the use of strikebreakers. While strikes are often justified, there are companies which cannot afford to cease their production for an extended period of time and therefore depend on employing other workers during a strike.
However, we could consider adding a clause to the labor relations act which states that temporary workers cannot be required to work during a strike, as is the case in German law. Thus, they can work during a strike if they want to do so, but they don't have to.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2013, 05:52:41 PM »

I have done some research on the topic of strikebreakers and have come to the conclusion that I would rather not ban the use of strikebreakers. While strikes are often justified, there are companies which cannot afford to cease their production for an extended period of time and therefore depend on employing other workers during a strike.
However, we could consider adding a clause to the labor relations act which states that temporary workers cannot be required to work during a strike, as is the case in German law. Thus, they can work during a strike if they want to do so, but they don't have to.

The thing is, strike-breakers often became private corporate militias, brutal thugs for hire (ex: Pinkertons).
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #133 on: May 01, 2013, 04:32:35 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2013, 04:34:14 AM by ZuWo »

I am fully aware that strikebreakers can be used solely with the intent to harm striking workers. But since there's also another side of the coin in that certain businesses that are affected by a strike may depend on temporary replacement workers I regard an outright ban the of strikebreakers as too extreme.
As I said, however, I am ready to debate other measures to protect the rights of Mideastern workers. Cathcon and I will approach most issues with an open mind. Wink
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #134 on: May 01, 2013, 07:22:27 AM »

I am fully aware that strikebreakers can be used solely with the intent to harm striking workers. But since there's also another side of the coin in that certain businesses that are affected by a strike may depend on temporary replacement workers I regard an outright ban the of strikebreakers as too extreme.
As I said, however, I am ready to debate other measures to protect the rights of Mideastern workers. Cathcon and I will approach most issues with an open mind. Wink

Would you pledge to veto any law allowing the use of strikebreakers that does not also include extremely tough penalties for any instances in which they are used to harm strikers or end up doing so?  I oppose the use of strikebreakers, but would at a minimum like to see incredibly harsh (bordering on deliberately excessive) penalties for both companies and strikebreakers that harm striking workers in order to prevent the brutal violence that has long been closely associated with.  Thoughts?
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #135 on: May 01, 2013, 01:21:03 PM »

It ultimately depends on how we define "harm". I know I was vague myself when I used that term but we will have to clarify that if such a bill is debated in the Assembly.
I don't want to pledge whether I will support a bill that hasn't even been drafted yet. In order to make a definite decision I will need to see a concrete proposal. But I can assure you that I will enter a debate dealing with labor relations with an open mind. I'm not paid by any lobby, if anyone wants to know. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #136 on: May 03, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »

Wiki Update

In order to support the governor (and to make my and Cathcon's life a bit easier if we are elected Tongue), I have started updating the list of Mideast citizens. If you notice any errors, feel free to point them out or correct them on your own. The work isn't complete so any kind of help is welcome! Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #137 on: May 04, 2013, 12:56:50 PM »

What it takes to be an effective governor

When I first ran for Mideast governor a year ago - I was the only candidate who was interested in the job - our region was in mediocre shape at best. As RG homelycooking's official census statistics show, the Mideast only had 24 citizens and ranked third behind the Northeast and the IDS when it came to the number of registered players. When I left office, the Mideast was the largest region with 37 citizens.

Now it would be presumptuous of me to claim that I am the only person who can take credit for this growth, but I have no doubts that the measures which have been taken during my term have contributed to making the Mideast a more active and vibrant region. I have already mentioned some of these measures which have proven very successful for the Mideast so I will simply restate my main point: Governors in Atlasia don't need to be supermen in order to have a tangible impact on the regions they govern. Quite on the contrary, Atlasian governors first and foremost have to make sure that the simple and unspectacular work is getting done. Among other things, this means that a governor has to make the necessary Wiki updates, be ready to work with the Assembly on a daily basis, and maintain and improve the communication with the citizens of his region. Indeed, I think that being governor in Atlasia primarily means that you are not so much a visionary as an effective administrator; because if you are not capable of doing the basic work, you will fail.

Vote ZuWo/Cathcon for active leadership - we have the experience to get the job done. Smiley
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #138 on: May 04, 2013, 01:14:50 PM »

Wiki Update

In order to support the governor (and to make my and Cathcon's life a bit easier if we are elected Tongue), I have started updating the list of Mideast citizens. If you notice any errors, feel free to point them out or correct them on your own. The work isn't complete so any kind of help is welcome! Smiley
Thank you for your assistance. So many complain about the Wiki being outdated yet few take action and do something about it.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #139 on: May 07, 2013, 02:16:18 PM »

I would like to thank my colleagues in the Mideast Assembly for having voted in support of the Wiki clarification amendment. With this amendment all future Governors and Lt. Governors will know much better what their duties regarding the Mideast Wiki are. However, this was only the first step in the amendment process since the amendment also needs the support of the people. Therefore, I ask the citizens of the Mideast to approve the proposal. It is a great help for the executive branch of the regional government! Smiley
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2013, 05:47:43 AM »

Endorsed, obviously. Last time around you were the best Governor the Mideast has had in recent memory.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2013, 07:37:56 AM »

Thank you, oakvale! Good to see you back in the game! Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #142 on: May 11, 2013, 03:54:14 AM »

Mideast Governor's Debate

For those who haven't noticed, there is a debate going on between Clinton1996 and myself. You can send any questions you have to Gass, who is the moderator.

On an unrelated note, I welcome drj101 to the campaign. I'm sure the campaign will no longer be boring with her in the race. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #143 on: May 13, 2013, 02:35:17 AM »

On the regional and federal amendments

First of all, I'm very glad that Mideasterners have voted in favor of the Wiki clarification amendment. From now on, Governors and Lt. Governors of the Mideast will know much better what their concrete duties are when it comes to the regional Wiki.

Secondly, it looks like we have to put forward yet another proposal which specifies the regional ratification process for federal amendments. Indeed, I think we should amend Section 2 of the failed proposal and extend the voting period from three to seven days, so I am going to introduce another constitutional amendment.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #144 on: May 15, 2013, 02:56:09 PM »

Tomorrow is election day and the Mideast is about to elect a new Assembly on the one hand and a new Governor and Lt. Governor on the other hand. This has been a long campaign and I hope it has helped you to get a better impression of the two (or three? Wink) gubernatorial tickets and to figure out who, in your opinion, will be the best leaders of the Mideast during the next four months.

If you are an undecideded voter, I encourage you to have a look at this as well as our opponents' campaign threads. Additionally, the Governor's debate can help you to make up your mind.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this campaign. We are looking forward to an exciting election weekend! Smiley
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2013, 02:30:27 PM »

Voting has started! I'd like to encourage all Mideast citizens to cast their ballots. In order to keep things as straightforward and easy for the voting booth administrator (i.e. the Governor in this case), please do not follow the example of Bacon King and only vote in this election if you are a citizen of this region. Wink
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #146 on: May 17, 2013, 04:54:31 PM »

The election is shaping up to be the expected nailbiter. Don't miss the opportunity to vote if you're a Mideast citizen!

On this occasion, I would like to thank justice TJ in Cleve for filing an injunction which ensures that this election remains orderly and fair. Speaker Inks also deserves praise for filing for the preliminary injunction in the first place.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #147 on: May 19, 2013, 12:45:05 AM »
« Edited: May 19, 2013, 12:46:37 AM by ZuWo »

There are still about 9 hours left to vote but things seem to be looking positive at the moment. Thank you to every Mideasterner who has voted! Smiley

At the same time, I must condemn all attempts by citizens not from the Mideast to vote in an election they have no business voting in. It is quite clear that the intent of these people is to create havoc rather than to point out a supposed loophole in the Mideast constitution. Once again, I thank justice TJ in Cleve/Wisco for doing what has to be done to avoid chaos and electoral anarchy in the Mideast.
ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

« Reply #148 on: May 19, 2013, 10:39:51 AM »

Congratulations Governor-elect ZuWo! Smiley

You ran a great campaign.

Thank you, Siren. You, too, were a great addition to the ticket you ran on. Smiley
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #149 on: May 19, 2013, 10:48:58 AM »

Well this looks to be pleasant news.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 10 11 ... 20  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies