'No fault' divorce
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:00:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  'No fault' divorce
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Do you support a right to 'no fault' divorce (i.e. divorce for reasons other than abuse, adultery, etc.)?
Yes

Yes, but divorce is morally wrong

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: 'No fault' divorce  (Read 8585 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 10, 2005, 09:08:26 AM »

Option 1 for me.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2005, 09:58:19 AM »

absolutely.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005, 10:02:45 AM »

Option 3 is the only sane choice.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005, 12:21:49 PM »

If two people find they can no longer get along together they should divorce. Why stay married and be miserable together?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005, 12:32:15 PM »

I think no fault divorce has been a disaster for children.  It has been one of those factors that has forced both parents into the workforce, because they lose the security that marriage used to bring.

Marriage is supposed to be a contract, albeit a loose one, but still a contract.  What good is a contract if it can be violated at will for any reason, without the consent of the other party.  No-fault divorce cheapens marriage, and has contributed to the breakdown in our family structure, with all the negative effects that has.

I don't believe that anybody should be forced to remain in an abusive marriage.  I also think that divorce should be allowed if both parties agree they want it.  But I think it's wrong to force divorce on a person who does not want it if there are not valid grounds.

Many divorces could be avoided in my opinion if people were more committed to preserving their marriages.  This would be much better for society.  But no-fault divorce makes it too easy to quit a marriage rather than work out the problems.  It's easier to move on to greener pastures, which often are not so green after all, considering that the divorce rate in second marriages is higher than in first marriages.

Divorce is extremely damaging when children are involved, and in many cases it would be better to work out marital problems rather than divorce.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005, 12:37:47 PM »

If two people find they can no longer get along together they should divorce. Why stay married and be miserable together?

Yes, its easier to just quit when things get tough. We should definately be teaching our children that lesson.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005, 01:21:07 PM »

Yes, its easier to just quit when things get tough. We should definately be teaching our children that lesson.
I agree with StatesRights.  If you need a divorce, you shouldn't have married.

You signed a contract.  You can't just annul a contract through a decision.  The contract is a life-long contract.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »
« Edited: February 10, 2005, 01:31:16 PM by Justice John Dibble »

You signed a contract.  You can't just annul a contract through a decision.  The contract is a life-long contract.

Then why are there pre-numps?

Oh, and contracts can legally be annulled if all parties involved wish to do so.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005, 01:34:31 PM »

There shouldn't be.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Not if the contract forbids it, and marriage by definition is a life-time commitment.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005, 01:52:48 PM »

Pre-nups at this point are a necessary evil, to a large extent because of no-fault divorce.

If two parties come to a marriage with largely unequal assets (which is more common today than in the past because people are often older when they get married, and one party may have accumulated significant assets prior to marriage), and marriage laws themselves provide little protection against the unilateral breaking of that contract, it is only prudent that the person with greater assets take extra measures to compensate for the deficiencies in the laws.

I don't like pre-nups, but I do so why some people would want them in the current social and legal environment in which we exist.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 02:32:18 PM »

There shouldn't be.

Not if the contract forbids it, and marriage by definition is a life-time commitment.

Find me one U.S. or Canadian civil marriage contract that forbids divorce.

Oh, and about that definition:

mar·riage
Pronunciation: 'mar-ij
Function: noun
1 : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a legal, consensual, and contractual relationship recognized and sanctioned by and dissolvable only by law —see also DIVORCE
2 : the ceremony containing certain legal formalities by which a marriage relationship is created

marriage

n 1: the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)*

*did not add
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 03:04:47 PM »

It is a mutually agreed upon contract. If both parties want to dissolve it why should government interfere? Especially when children are not involved.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 04:01:34 PM »

It is a mutually agreed upon contract. If both parties want to dissolve it why should government interfere? Especially when children are not involved.

I agree that the marriage contract should be dissolvable with mutual agreement, especially if there are no children involved.  If there are children involved, some type of counseling should be mandated, in my opinion, prior to the granting of a divorce to try to ensure the best outcome for the children.  It shocks me today how little people take their childrens' well-being into consideration in matters of marriage and divorce.  This is definitely a negative consequence of this "no-fault, no responsibility" society that we have unfortunately created.

Another messy facet is the financial arrangements in a divorce, and this is the cause of a lot of problems.  It is not so easy to pull apart lives that have been merged.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 06:06:16 PM »

I know of one young couple who married about two years ago. They seemed like the perfect couple, but after a year or so they began having constant arguments. Both became miserable to the extent of not being able to pay attention at work, and being constantly depressed. They are now separated and in the process of divorce. Both agreed to the divorce and both are much happier now and are getting their lives back to normal again separately. I don't know what the basic problem was but divorce seems to be the right answer. No children are involved.

Why should the state say no?
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2005, 06:10:10 PM »

Freedom of choice, option 1.

I think an unhappy household is also a crappy place to raise children.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2005, 06:10:43 PM »

The vows "as long as you both shall live" and "until death do you part" are worth noting.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2005, 06:18:42 PM »

There shouldn't be.

Find me one U.S. or Canadian civil marriage contract that forbids divorce.

Oh, and about that definition:

mar·riage
Pronunciation: 'mar-ij
Function: noun
1 : the state of being united to a person of the opposite sex as husband or wife in a legal, consensual, and contractual relationship recognized and sanctioned by and dissolvable only by law —see also DIVORCE
2 : the ceremony containing certain legal formalities by which a marriage relationship is created

marriage

n 1: the state of being a married couple voluntarily joined for life (or until divorce)*

*did not add
We've been through this.  I really couldn't care what the government defines as marriage.  I doubt I'll even let them know when I marry.  The marriage I stand by is common law and tradition.  Not some fake monstrosity created by the government.
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2005, 06:20:27 PM »

What part of "as long as you both shall live" and "until death do you part" do you not understand?
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2005, 12:11:18 AM »

What part of "as long as you both shall live" and "until death do you part" do you not understand?

What part of "it isn't the government's business" do you not understand?

??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2005, 01:09:56 AM »

I know of one young couple who married about two years ago. They seemed like the perfect couple, but after a year or so they began having constant arguments. Both became miserable to the extent of not being able to pay attention at work, and being constantly depressed. They are now separated and in the process of divorce. Both agreed to the divorce and both are much happier now and are getting their lives back to normal again separately. I don't know what the basic problem was but divorce seems to be the right answer. No children are involved.

Did they try counseling? Talking it out or anything? Or did they just quit?
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2005, 01:29:21 AM »

What part of "it isn't the government's business" do you not understand?

True, it isn't the government's business.  Government shouldn't give out marriage licenses of any sort anyways, and there should be no special treatment to married people.
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2005, 02:49:55 AM »

isn't no-fault already the law over there? It's been in place here for a while now.
Hitchabrut
republicanjew18

Political Matrix
E: 8.38, S: 7.49

« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2005, 08:26:54 AM »

Yes
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2005, 01:01:09 PM »

Did they try counseling? Talking it out or anything?
Yep.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2005, 06:51:08 PM »

Two parents who can't stand each other or two single parents. Both options stink, but I've got to go with freedom.

The important thing to understand is that marriage is already messed up, I don't know how gay marriage would hurt it more than heteros who don't understand what it really means.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies