Senator Feinstein to Introduce Assault Weapons Ban on First Day of Congress.
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:55:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Senator Feinstein to Introduce Assault Weapons Ban on First Day of Congress.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Senator Feinstein to Introduce Assault Weapons Ban on First Day of Congress.  (Read 4722 times)
retromike22
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 16, 2012, 02:30:57 PM »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/16/dianne-feinstein-assault-weapons-ban_n_2311477.html

Here we go.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 02:32:33 PM »

It won't get passed, and if it gets too much attention that'll help Republicans in the run-up to 2014 -- now they have actual proof Democrats want to take away your guns!
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 02:34:07 PM »

Good....
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 02:35:49 PM »

fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2012, 02:35:59 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:40:22 PM »

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but is there any legitimate purpose for which private citizens need specifically assault weapons?
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2012, 03:09:38 PM »

Excuse my ignorance, but is there any legitimate purpose for which private citizens need specifically assault weapons?

Why do you hate freedom, GMantis? The ability to have one of them is just as valuable as freedom of speech, after all.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »

Why do you hate freedom, GMantis? The ability to have one of them is just as valuable as freedom of speech, after all.

They're Murrica! We need our guns cause...just cause! Anyone who doesn't own an assault weapon is weak and French.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »

They're Murrica! We need our guns cause...just cause! Anyone who doesn't own an assault weapon is weak and French.

And possibly gay.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2012, 03:20:23 PM »

And possibly gay.

Probably gay
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2012, 03:21:42 PM »

For raising arms against the government. You know, Second Amendment and all that. After all, how are we going to have a second Civil War if there aren't a bunch of easily set off private citizens with guns?
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2012, 03:27:54 PM »

For raising arms against the government. You know, Second Amendment and all that. After all, how are we going to have a second Civil War if there aren't a bunch of easily set off private citizens with guns?

More evidence of our embarrassingly transparent hubris. That we simultaneously demand a MASSIVE, heavily skilled and equipped military and maintain that we need heavy personal weaponry to battle our own government's military is just plain stupid.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2012, 03:32:15 PM »

More evidence of our embarrassingly transparent hubris. That we simultaneously demand a MASSIVE, heavily skilled and equipped military and maintain that we need heavy personal weaponry to battle our own government's military is just plain stupid.

That's really the issue, though. Most people don't even recognize that their views are contradictory. (Well, it's probably true of all of us to an extent....)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2012, 03:32:49 PM »

No chance of passage but worth the effort. FWIW the guns covered by the AWB only constituted about 5% of the guns used in crimes in the run-up to the 1994 ban (though they also only constituted about 1% of the overall number of privately owned guns, so they were disproportionately used). Sort of a bandaid on a broken leg situation IMO.

Dave from Michigan
9iron768
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2012, 03:38:48 PM »

assault weapon is just what they call semi automatic weapons to make them sound scary. More people will support a ban on "assault weapons" than semi automatic guns.
fezzyfestoon
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: December 16, 2012, 03:48:29 PM »

assault weapon is just what they call semi automatic weapons to make them sound scary. More people will support a ban on "assault weapons" than semi automatic guns.

Ignorance is indeed a powerful weapon. Hopefully people will learn more about guns so they will understand why so many of them need not be in the hands of the uneducated and unstable.
retromike22
United States

« Reply #17 on: December 16, 2012, 03:52:45 PM »

What if we had a ridiculously high tax on bullets?
CatoMinor
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #18 on: December 16, 2012, 03:52:57 PM »

I do not believe the state should hold a monopoly on firearms. States are not immune from the possibility of committing evil acts against people within them, and for that reason the people should have a means of defending themselves should the need arise. But then again, what am I saying, states would never in a million years cause harm to their own people, I am just being crazy.

useful idiot
YaBB God

« Reply #19 on: December 16, 2012, 03:53:22 PM »

Bingo.

Actual "assault weapons," aka automatics, are already banned. The AWB just banned weapons that looked like assault rifles. It was a stupid piece of legislation that did nothing.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2012, 03:53:39 PM »

"Assault weapons" is a silly term. Any weapon can be used for either aggression or defense. Semi-automatic weapons enhance either purpose.  If you met up with an angry bear and didn't have perfect aim, what kind of gun would you want?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2012, 03:57:53 PM »

Saying it was a worthless piece of legislation is an exaggeration, but it's nowhere near as effective as some people idealize it to be. 90% of it is effectively symbolism, but still, something is better than nothing.

As Al said in the thread about the Connecticut shooting, only if we had genuine gun control would we see a serious reduction in gun crime. But we don't, and we never will, so, /shrug.
Paul Kemp
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2012, 03:59:16 PM »

"Assault weapons" is a silly term. Any weapon can be used for either aggression or defense. Semi-automatic weapons enhance either purpose.  If you met up with an angry bear and didn't have perfect aim, what kind of gun would you want?

That has to be some pretty bad aim, as in completely blind, if the bear is close enough to cause you harm.
Svensson
NVTownsend

« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »

How about we just make weapons training mandatory with gun purchase like (I believe) they do in England? I hear they have fewer idiots managing to shoot themselves and others there.
ShamDam
ChanDan

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2012, 04:01:11 PM »

What if we had a ridiculously high tax on bullets?

You betta hope I don't get those bullets on Layaway.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies